Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My experience is similar to of troy's, namely that dinner was always the most substantial meal,
always at noon. I never heard of lunch until I left home.

B
old hand
old hand
B
For me, the word breakfast symbolizes my first attempt at etymology. I was five or six years old and decided since breakfast was a quick meal it must mean a "fast break" and someone decided to switch the words. My mother quickly steered me in the right direction (being a wordlover herself).

we always had dinner in the evening - except for sunday dinner, which was usually about 3 or 4 (breakfast was late, 9 or 10 or even 11 depending on which mass we went to) in the evening (after 7 or so) we would have fruit or cheese, or some times soup-- but it was not quite an organized meal, rather just bits and pieces.

We made up a name for this: fend-for-yourself supper.

#83194 10/10/02 06:00 PM
old hand
old hand
Growing up on the West Coast, we consistently used breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My aunt, who seems to be a little more entrenched in her Midwestern roots, always refers to the evening meal as supper, and that *still* seems to be the deal here in the Midwest.

Another variation, relative to times of day - breakfast is the early morning meal, but if it stretches too close to noon, it becomes brunch (also used for fancy buffet-type affairs on certain holidays - Mothers' Day and Easter pop to mind). And on a lazy Sunday, if my roommate and I haven't pulled ourselves together well during the day, the main meal sometimes happens around the traditional tea time - 3 or 4 - and we've coined lupper to describe that phenomenon.

C
C
of troy, your mention of 'tea' brings to mind a story.

I was a foreign exchange student in Albury, NSW one year and wasn't given a crash course in Oz dialect prior to arriving. The first couple of evenings I was there I was asked if I'd like some tea. I responded 'no' as I really don't like tea - sweetened, unsweetened, or hot tea for that matter. After then seeing the family sit down and eat supper without me, I finally caught on.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In Mexico, and many other Spanish-speaking cultures, they have desayuno (ayuno meaning fast as in fasting) usually a continental-type breakfast upon arising. In the late morning they have almuerzo, usually eggs, beans and tortillas. Somewhere between 1:00 and 3:00 is the comida, the substantial meal of the day. Early evening, around 8:00 they have the cena, a light supper. And then there is the requisite 3:00-4:00am menudo if you've been out having several pints. Personally, the smell of menudo makes me wish I hadn't had that last pint or two

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the smell of menudo makes me wish I hadn't had that last pint or two

And I always found menudo to be the perfect antidote to that last pint or two. Guess it takes all kinds.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I just woke up from a four-hour nap following a very long and liquid lunch at a pub that's just opened down the road. I'm just about due for my menudo ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My experience was about the same as of troy's experience.
Evening meal about 6 p.m. - dinner - a large meal but Sunday dinner about 3 p.m. On occasion supper/dinner were used for the same meal. I learned the difference when on my first trip to Ireland. The B&B I stayed in offered "breakfast and supper" so I skipped dinner and had to make do with tea, toast and jam for *supper!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
supper is weekdays, anywhere from 5-7, unless you go out, and then it's dinner. dinner also for Sunday, early to mid afternoon.
dinner usually implies something a bit fancier...

formerly known as etaoin...
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I've been thinking about all of this, and realise that, throughout my life, there have been quite substantial changes in the way I refer to different meals.

I was brought up to Breakfast, Dinner, Tea (occasionally, supper after that). When I went to school, the mid-day meal served in the canteen was always "School Dinners" (and pretty horrible they were, too ) but many of my school-mates brought "lunch" with them, which was to be eaten at the mid-morning break - about 10.30 ish. They then went on to eat "School Dinner", so it was not a substitute - it was additional fodder.

When I started work, however, the firm's canteen served Lunch from midday to 1 pm - and this was just as substantial a meal as School Dinner, although much more palatable. If I then had a cooked meal in the evening (which I usually did) that was called Dinner. All of the above took place in London. "Tea" was a meal that I rarely took - usually when invited out to someone's home, or at my own home on a Sunday. It consisted of bread & butter with jam, fish- or meat-paste, and a cutting cake (i.e., not individual small cakes - one big one that was shared out) which was either a sponge- or a fruit-cake.

I still call my meals breakfast, lunch, dinner now that I've moved North, but have become very accustomed to hearing local people refer to the main, evening meal as their tea. The light luncheon that they take to work is known as "baggins" in these parts.
Dinner is the mid-day meal on Sunday, or what you have if you go out to a restaurant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith