Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#83202 10/16/02 01:07 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
"Tea" was a meal that I rarely took - usually when invited out to someone's home, or at my own home on a Sunday. It consisted of bread & butter with jam, fish- or meat-paste, and a cutting cake

Yep, definitely my main association, Rhuby, probably making this mainly a Southern (English) thing. Tea's more of an extra than a standard meal, often associated with holidays. You can have several different types of tea, though - I'd think can of pink salmon rather than fish-paste, for instance, and "posh" teas probably would include little dainty cakes as well as the cutting cake(s), etc.

Tea is often a follow-up to a good hearty lunch, and may include cold meat left over - this especially applies to Christmas tea, where you also have other cold meats (say ham), pickles and whatnot (yum!). But tea's generally more sweet than savoury.

However, I have to say that sometimes it doesn't feel right calling my evening meal (8pm-ish) "dinner", and it's too early to be called "supper". It depends a bit upon how casual an affair the meal is, and how much effort it takes to prepare the meal, but "dinner" is definitely more like meat & two veg than Spag Bol. Spag Bol would be "tea".

Similarly if I'm getting home early enough to have fish & chips () with my family - say, 6pm - I'd definitely call that tea. I'd also drink tea with it, but that may be by the by.

Of course my wife is a Brummy so I may just have been corrupted by her North-of-Watford influence.

Oh, always "lunch" for the midday (-ish) meal for me, BTW.
"Dinner" is always an evening thing (often special occasion), and "supper" is a very occasional late night extra. After-pub snacks don't qualify - it has to be a sit-down meal, cooked in the kitchen, that you eat around 10pm.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever had supper.

#83203 10/16/02 04:05 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Around here (New England) any food taken after 10 p.m. is usually called "a midnight snack" not supper.
Is that a US-only saying? Or do you use it across the pond and up North? (Hi Bean)
If I "have tea" in late afternoon it's usually just a cup of tea perhaps with a cracker/cookie/toast if really hungry (no lunch!) This is what was called "A cup in your hand" in Ireland - rather than High Tea!

#83204 10/16/02 04:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
a midnight snack

To me this has a very specific meaning of having been in bed, then getting up needing "a little something" and eating in the kitchen in your pyjamas. If it's food in the late evening and I've been awake all day, I'll call it a "bedtime snack".

What I have concluded from this thread is that if any one of us were to invite anyone else over for a meal, the mealtime would probably have to be in UTC or something, to account for different time zones, and the meal itself would have to remain unnamed, so as not to cause confusion among dinners/supppers/lunches/teas. And as a result no one would quite know what type of food would be forthcoming!

#83205 10/21/02 10:42 AM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Dear FoaB, I remember the more filling type of tea such as you describe used to be called "high tea" and was commonly served when there were visitors to be fed. There was often a strong element of FHB about it too. Not sure why it was called high tea, I'll Google it when I've got a minute. Could have been a south of England thing, but my family came from all over so who knows!

#83206 10/21/02 11:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'ephew, please to splain me Spag Bol. All I can come up with is spaghetti bolognese.

#83207 10/21/02 12:49 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Spag Bol. All I can come up with is spaghetti bolognese

That would be it, 'tie - although I'm pretty sure that traditional Brit Spag Bol would have very little resemblance to pasta dishes that are (or have been) cooked in the vicinity of Bologna.

Traditional Brit "Spanish Omelettes" are similarly laughable (basically a vegetable omelette, often with frozen veg ).

Though really I'm talking about 1960s-ish convenience cooking here - times have changed. A bit.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith