Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
In honor of October and Halloween, I wonder if anyone has any good ghost stories (either of their own experience or merely literary) that they would like to share? Alas I have none, having never encountered a ghost, goblin or poltergeist. My family did drive an AMC Gremlin for awhile, which was really worse than a haunting...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Funny you should ask. The elder of my two younger sisters, who has never been accused of having much in the way of imagination, had what appeared to be a poltergeist in a house she was renting in Auckland some twenty-three years ago.

The first time she had evidence of such a manifestation, it was doors slamming and tins on the bench in the kitchen being thrown on the floor. She assumed it was her kids, although they hotly denied it and, what was more, failed to blame each other.

The next time, if I remember rightly, something similar happened at a time when none of her kids (nor her husband) were at home, and it scared the bejeezus out of her because she thought she had a particularly clumsy burglar on her hands. This time, though, there were also the sounds of footsteps on a wooden floor walking away from the lounge door in the hallway. This was pretty peculiar because the hallway floor was carpeted. At that point she started believing in ghosts.

For a while, it became a regular feature of their lives. It was always at night. The noises continued - doors opening and closing, footsteps, the occasional tin (never crockery) being knocked on to the floor. Her kids called the poltergeist "the boarder". They'd be sitting watching TV and they'd hear a door open and close or footsteps. Occasionally the sound of a tin hitting the floor.

Then after a while, it just stopped.

Go figure!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Go figure!

Parbly flying squirrels.

F
veteran
veteran
F
Parbly flying squirrels

I don't believe in flying squirrels.

Far more likely that one of Cap's nephews/nieces was just pre-teen or an early teenager, and his/her deep-seated primordial angst was emerging as psychic energy. All paranormal activity stopped as soon as that child grew up and realised, like us, that everything is right in the world.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I don't believe in flying squirrels.

Oh, OK. How 'bout Parbly honey gliders?

F
veteran
veteran
F
Parbly honey gliders

Are they like sweetened sky hooks?

If so, yup, much better.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith