About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#82787 10/04/02 05:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I used to subscribe to AdWeek magazine (don't ask) and enjoyed the two columns that reviewed new ads. One would look at three or four new campaigns and generally rate them for good or bad; the other would look in some depth at one campaign that the writer thought was particularly good. I liked it especially when one writer would write a rave review of a campaign the other had panned.

#82788 10/04/02 06:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jo:

Do the English not make a connection when fall is used in the context of a season? Or do they have to stop or mentally shift gears just for a second to come up with the connection?

I use fall and autumn as completely interchangeable in that context. What would Princess Summer-Autumn-Winter-Spring say???

TEd
#82789 10/04/02 06:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Princess Summer-Autumn- Winter-Spring

Shouldn't that be Princess Summer-Autumn-Winter-Vern?

#82790 10/04/02 06:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
That's just so much bluster, you know.

Note to non-USns, and those under thirty: in the 1950s there was a kids' television program called "The Howdy Doody Show," with another puppet/character called Princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring. And another one called Phineas T. Bluster. Also the Flub-a-dub, and Buffalo Bob, and Clarabell the clown, who later became more widely known in a show of his own as Captain Kangaroo.

#82791 10/04/02 07:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
{ahem}

"It's Howdy Doody Time!
It's Howdy Doody Time!
Bob Smith and Howdy, too,
Say Howdy-doo to you!"

I didn't realize Clarabel became Cap Kangaroo, though. I wonder what CapK might have to say about all this?

#82792 10/04/02 07:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I used to subscribe to AdWeek magazine (don't ask) and enjoyed the two columns that reviewed new ads.

It seems a like a great source for humor.

---------------

Yes, last year we did have a similar holiday discussion and I distinctly remember b******g about the early *hour it is/was to be talking about the holidays which don't actually® start until US'ns Thanksgiving. I wouldn't consider anything about October part of the holiday season... other than the *best holiday of the year... Samhain!

M
old hand
old hand
M
Now, now, let's keep this discussion within the spirit of the holiday season.

Now here's a happy thought...think about it, - a whole world peopled by americans; English americans, japanese americans, iraqian americans, everybody Americans.

A world of free trade and brotherhood where GAP advertisements would be understood from pole to shining pole, and a place where Coca-Cola could at last teach the world to sing...and every single nation on this earth would finally understand each other's mindless babble and sing in perfect harmony..."God Bless America".

O' were it only so...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a whole world peopled by americans; English americans, japanese americans, iraqian americans, everybody Americans.

Great minds, milum. I was thinking along much the same directments. It is merely necessary for everyone to acknowledge that George the First is Supreme President for Life of All He Surveys. Aberrant spellings, such as honour and democratise will be banned and English First shall be the true language of all peoples. Holidays shall be those declared by the SPfLoAHS and personal time off work shall be recognized only as vacations and the time of year will be known only as Fall. This is only as it should be.

J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
>I was thinking along much the same directments.

Of course, I see the light now!

#82796 10/05/02 09:58 PM
J
jmh Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
J
Encouraged by Milo's concern for the TRUTH in reference to the challenged books of the world, I wrote to the mighty GAP HQ and received this reply (standard inoffensive reply 36, I assume). Having taught on marketing and customer care courses in the past one can only admire it for being completely calm and inoffensive.
Thank you for your message regarding our marketing campaigns. Because our market is quite diverse, we create a wide range of materials with many different themes and treatments in an effort to reach everyone at one time or another. Sometimes we miss the mark with some customers,
and while it's disappointing to hear, it does encourage us to keep trying new ideas that may be more appealing. We hope you'll keep watching and continue to let us know how we're doing.

If we may be of further assistance, please contact us via e-mail at
custserv@gap.com or by calling 1-800-GAP-STYLE. Our Customer Service
Consultants are available 24 hours a day for your convenience.

Sincerely,

Cynthia (name changed, even though is probably isn't a real name)
Customer Service Consultant

So why does it make me want to write:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

(PS to TED - yes, Fall gives me a double take, it really isn't used here, except in American TV and movies, most advertisers, even multinationals would translate it.)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,375
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,563
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith