Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#82598 10/03/02 09:18 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Now that I think of it, ginger ale is more acid than all the other carbonated beverages, because it contains not only carbonic acid ( i.e. dissolved carbon dioxide, but a weak acid nonetheless) but phosphoric acid as well. The pH of ginger ale is 4-point-something, as I recall, instead of "ordinary" soda's 6-point-something.

#82599 10/03/02 09:52 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Jo, that is quite a site. Baby-cham? Strange name.

Yes, Babycham is/was Perry - from Apples you get cider, from pears, perry - for a while Babycham (with a rather large advertising budget) was successful.

>I notice they have both syphon and siphon--the latter being how it is spelled here.

I think we use syphon rather than siphon
Syphon (n.) See Syphon
aaaaargh!
http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~ralph/OPTED/v003/wb1913_s.html

> I am also curius about All our products are tested at point of dispatch... I feel sure I've seen it Brit-spelled despatch.

I'm not sure, here's a definition:

(from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)

dispatch, despatch
verb [T]
to send (esp. goods or a message) somewhere for a particular purpose
Two loads of woollen cloth were dispatched to the factory on December 12th.

(humorous) If food is dispatched it is all eaten quickly and eagerly.
Well, we dispatched that pizza without too much trouble!

(humorous) If a person is dispatched he or she is killed.
In the film's last five minutes our handsome hero manages to dispatch another five baddies.

dispatch, despatch
noun
Temporary staff have been employed to help with the dispatch of extra mail. [U]
A special dispatch of food and clothing was flown to the refugees this morning. [C]

A dispatch can be a newspaper report sent by someone in a foreign country, often communicating war news, or it can be an official, often military report.
In her latest dispatch Clare Duggan, our war correspondent, reported an increase in fighting.

/Sergeant Havers was mentioned in dispatches (=highly praised) for his courage.

(formal dated) If someone does something with dispatch they do it quickly and effectively.

In Britain, the dispatch box is the box on a table in the House of Commons which important politicians stand next to when they are making speeches.

(British) A dispatch rider is someone who travels between companies riding a motorcycle or bicycle, delivering important documents and messages as quickly as possible.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=dispatch*1+0

D
addict
addict
D
Pop or Soda-pop would only be used at a Happy Days fan club meeting.

Soft drinks (softies) and fizzy drinks (fizzies) are used interchangeably.

Coke means Coca Cola and is found almost everywhere. If there is only a different cola, you will be offered or given this instead, depending on the location, the barman's mood, or what you are wearing.

Lemonade is a clear, bubbly, sugary, lemony concoction. Sprite is not lemonade here. The yellowy, bubbly, less sugary, more lemony concoction, similar to Lift, is generically a lemon squash. Our lemonade looks like Sprite and tastes vaguely like Lift.

Soda would usually be interpreted as soda water.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi, doc!
Okay, can anyone tell me which version of lemonade first came to be called that? To me, lemonade is water--plain old water, not carbonated--with lemon juice and sugar.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
easy Jackie, many fruit juices will begin to ferment in a few hours.. apple juice first becomes fizzy as fermentation starts, and the fermantation actually acts as a preservative, converting sugars into more stables alcohols..

no reason not to think that lemonade, with extra sugar (and in times past, a common sugar was barley sugar, which ferments even faster than cane sugar) wouldn't have become slightly fizzy in a few hours... till people got to thinking fizzy is the way lemonade should be. Like orangeina, (which you can get here in US) UK lemonade is not as fizzy as soda, but not flat either.

the US has had temperance societies right from the very beginning, and people would have learned, or practiced ways not to encourage fermentation in lemonade here.

#82603 10/05/02 10:09 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>UK lemonade is not as fizzy as soda, but not flat either.

No - I think it has just the same amount of fizz. It is probably the cheapest fizzy drink that you can buy as it is pretty generic. Most supermarkets sell their own brand. There are a couple of brands - I remember the R. WHites TV campaign from years ago but nothing as strong a the branding for coca cola.

Orangina is now owned by Coca Cola, i think. I much prefer it to Fanta

Brand history. Orangina founded in Algeria in 1936. In 1956, brand begins sale in France. Pernod acquires Orangina international rights 1981, French rights 1984. Brand launched in US 1985 with RC/7UP Washington DC bottler; Coke Northern New England takes it on in 1986. CCE. Coca-Cola Enterprises is Coca-Cola Co bottler in France, UK, Belgium and Holland. Analyst: "This deal could be a bonanza for CCE." Bottler backdrop/friction. Pernod previously bottled Coke in France. In 1990, Coke took franchise back; sold it to CCE in 1996. In 1991, Pernod filed claim vs Coke for alleged anti-competitive practices in France. In 1/97, Coke's French unit was fined $1.8 mil. In 6/97 senior Pernod Ricard executive tells BD: "Orangina will replace (Coke's) Fanta" in 600 McDonald's restaurants in France.

#82604 10/06/02 04:36 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
A cold drink memory of the fifties.

The sweltering summer heat of the city was unbearable, so we three goodbuddies decide to hitchhike to a secret quarry for a cold swim. After our cold swim we walked to the road and sat down on the porch of a country store on the Dixie Highway US 31 and waited to dry out for the hitchhike back home.

We listen through the screen door as a man in overalls asks the man behind the counter for a "Soo-dee Pop". We are easily amused. We roll all over the porch laughing. The man, we decide, is a ignorant coal miner from nearby Walker County.

A minute later an old man in old-man clothes comes in and orders a "Dope". This is the funniest thing we've ever heard. We roll OFF the porch laughing. The man, we figger is a bumpkin from the backwood mountains deep in Blount County.

Then a big car pulls up. A man gets out and hurries into the store. "Gimmie a Pop!" He said brusquely. We smiled knowingly. His rude manner gave him away, and besides, no one but a dadburn yankee would order a "Pop".

After the yankee (spit) left we went into the store and said urbanely..."Three cokes please". And then we added, "Yes, three 16 ounce RC Colas would be fine."

If a passerby on Highway 31 that day had happened to look our way he would have seen three young sophisticates sitting on the porch of Haygoods Store, sipping RC Colas, and discussing the funny, strange, peculiarities of other folks speech.

#82605 10/09/02 09:35 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Shona, I hope you weren't snapping your fingers "in-your-face" to my friend!

Ah, 'tweren't a snap of the fingers, Jackie, but "Snap!" as in the simple card game where you win by matching cards (values rather than suit). I'd have assumed the game was pretty universal. Would that be incorrect?

#82606 10/09/02 12:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd have assumed the game was pretty universal. Would that be incorrect?

Well, I know it (and what you meant) but.

#82607 10/10/02 10:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
of Troy, there is a link you can click on to find the list of "other" responses, by state. Lemme tell ya, there are some real jokers in Michigan, but we be cool .

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 933 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith