About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#82206 10/06/02 02:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>>Living is like licking honey off a thorn.

"I fall upon the thorns of life! I bleed!"

--P. B. Shelley

#82207 10/06/02 05:01 PM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
(That one is fast on its way to becoming my next tattoo...)

mmmm... I wonder what the previous one *said.

#82208 10/06/02 08:23 PM
old hand
old hand
THIS END UP

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What would you do if you weren't afraid?

i guess i have lived most of my life life with a similar sentement... There is nothing wrong with being afraid... but being afraid is not a excuse not to do something.

i have been at time extremely anxious. but, i tried not to let fear control my actions.

i remember, late one night, christmas eve, walking across a university campus, on the edge of a rough neighborhood.

as i walked, i thought i heard foot steps behind me.. i walked a little faster, and sure enough, someone was following me.. we were coming close to the quad, and while the walk up until now was lonely it was in sight of a major city street,(but this road was growing more distant with each step) the quad closed in, there were building, and narrow passages, and much of the area was too far from the street... and most of the dorms were dark and unoccupied, being this was christmas week.

so i abruptly halted, and swung myself around 180 degrees, and headed straight towards the person who was following me..

it turned out to be someone i knew, and he was afraid to break the stillness of the night, and call out, and was uncertain if it was me...he told me i gave him the fright of his life when i turn heels and started walking to him, and more over, he asked, what if it wasn't me? what if it was someone who was out to hurt you?

i replied, Hopefully, i would have given them the fright of their life, and scared them into thinking differently, since i was not what they expected..

i have found facing fear head on... it almost always easier than running away.

more than What would you do if you weren't afraid?--i would say, act, even if your are afraid.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between." -- Oscar Wilde

"There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all." Oscar Wilde

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Hemingway:

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

...But in modern war you will die like a dog for no good reason.

#82212 10/07/02 12:18 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

i remember, late one night, christmas eve, walking across a university campus, on the edge of a rough neighborhood.

as i walked, i thought i heard foot steps behind me.. i walked a little faster, and sure enough, someone was following me..

oftroy: We've had duplicate experiences...sorta.

My experience would read just like yours up to that point. And when I turned around, it wasn't a friend, but a teen with a knife. My arms were full of decorations I'd bought on the Eve Last Minute Sale. And I'd decided to detour up an alley, one behind Linden Row where Poe had lived while in Richmond. The teen had followed me in the darkness, had caught up with me, and I was thunderstruck. All I remember saying is, "It's Christmas Eve. My family's waiting for me." He said, "Kiss me." So I kissed him, ran up the alley, ran up the back steps, went into the apartment by the back entrance, broke down and cried--there was no family waiting there--called the police, they came, I broke down and cried some more, and that was that. I learned not to walk in dark alleys by myself. I was only about 22 years old, but I should have known better in the middle of the city. It was the memory of the sight of the knife that really did me in emotionally.

#82213 10/07/02 12:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, WW, i am so glad you are OK-- and i wonder if your turning round, facing the person, and interacting with him didn't change the situation. you went from being persued, to taking charge. you saw him, and you didn't confont him, but you did make a statement. i suspect if he had a knife out, he was planning at the least to rob, if not to sexually assault you. and instead, you acted, and your actions changed the situation-- and as scary as it was, i hope you see that. I hope what you have taken away ifrom the experience is courage, and not fear.

B
veteran
veteran
B
I take this to mean that although he was born in Ireland, he had the good sense to get out when he could and moved to London.

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I take this to mean that although he was born in Ireland ...

Ouch

GBS was as well known for being Irish as for being a dramatist. At the time he was writing for the stage, he was living and working in Britain. Much of his wry humour was directed at life in Britian from the perspective of someone who regarded himself as an outsider. I suppose that the site authors were trying to get all that over in a line. I'm not sure that it is particularly easy or successful to produce such thumbnail sketches.

http://classiclit.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/gbshaw.htm
http://www.workinghumor.com/quotes/gb_shaw.shtml

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 755 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith