Next Thread
Print Thread
#81433 09/22/02 04:08 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Gin Bender Poetry Review is a new literary webzine accepting submissions from the experienced writer as well as the new one. Please refer to the website for guidelines.

Our first issue will be published in November and include a well known Pushcart nominated author and a first time published author.

Gin Bender Poetry Review
www.ginbender.com

#81434 09/22/02 04:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your post here is what is better known as spam and doesn't belong here... not as a thread. Go give Anu some money and he'll include your junk mail with his own mailings. This site is advertisement free, and even though your not soliciting anything other than participation. I, for one, feel it is inappropriate. I'm parbably not the only one.

It would be different if your site was mentioned in a context as reference for some disussion.

... and Welcome, ginbender! I hope you have something more fun or interesting to say next time.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I (and others) take a dim view of spam here, and its distressing to see some one register for the purpose of placing a free ad.

you site seems brand new, and i know nothing at all about you, or your publication, and if it has had any history as a hard copy magazine before becoming a netzine...

so far, no major ads on your site, and no demands for money along with the submissions.. so your half way to redeeming yourself, but if you are a regular subscriber, you know, Anu uses and solicites small text based ads like yours for his newletter. and your actions, well, they seem like you are trying to by-pass for you own good, to take advantage of Anu's good nature.

i suspect, we will never hear from you again.. that you see this site only as it can be useful to you. and that, too, tells me something about you.

G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Well first of all:
"musick"-- your derogatory flaming attack is not warranted.I don't believe you know me or do I know you. So, save your "fighting" words for a more appropriate time.

To the Owner of this Site: I didn't see any guidelines where to as an "ad" for submissions was not proper. I had discovered your site via Poets&Writers magazine. But, if this post is against your rules-by all means remove it.
If you require further information on me or my journal, I will be glad to provide references and contacts to prove our legitimacy.
I don't appreciate some "unknown" throwing his words around at someone he knows nothing about but that is the moderators of this board that should handle the discipline.

So, thank you for your time and as stated, if I violated your policy, I apologize and please remove this post. If not, your discretion.

T.A. Thompson
Gin Bender Poetry Review

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
T. A. Thompson, i don't think Musick responce was a derogatory flaming attack. any one familiar with this site, knows it doesn't have ads- (pop ones, or any other kind.)
either you are unfamiliar with the site, and just barged and and placed your ad (spam) or you know and visit the site, and even though you had never seen an ad here, decided it was OK to place one. (but i did note, you registered just momemts before you placed you ad.)

now, yes, this is the internet and free space... but lets display a bit of netquete here.

You didn't see any guidelines about placing ads, and you took that at permission to go ahead and place one, rather than there are no guidelines, because there are no ads. that this is a dot org, not a dot com should have given you a clue this is not commercial space

you offer further information (upon request) but, you came here, and started this interaction-- we should have to go searching for info.. if you want to interact with us, you are welcome, but if you just want to use this board to place ads, well, i think then its very clear, it is you who are being rude, and not Musick.

you called Musick "some unknown", it is rather you who are the unknown. i "know" musick, because i have for months read his post, and knowing him through his post, i wanted to know him better, and i have met him.

Maybe, i'll get to know you, and met you too, some day.

in the meanwhile, you further weaken your case by mentioning the moderators of this board that should handle the discipline.

if you regularly read, (even if not registered, and not a regular poster,) you would know this board is largely self regulated and moderated. We are not perfect, but we try to avoid problems by nipping them in the bud.

spam, is never welcome, not here, not on most boards of this type. this is not some revelation, it is common knowledge.

you suggest that musick save your "fighting" words for a more appropriate time. when is the most appopriate time to object to spam? isn't immediately?

you might not get a single poem submited, but if you are not careful, we will suck you and make you one of us... we will discuss, and explain, and somewhere along the way, a typo will become a pun, and then the fun will begin.

#81438 09/22/02 05:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The sun kisses the morning sky
the birds kiss the butterfly
the dew kisses the morning grass
and....

(1974?) Cheech and Chong - Sister Mary Elephant

She never did finish that poem, but there's nothing like a little sequential imagination...

---------------------------

I know "flaming - fighting" words when I hear them, and those weren't any. It certainly matters not that I don't know you as I sift through a hundred or more e-mails a day addressed to ex-employees from people I don't know... junk mail defines itself.

The connotation that your post held the qualities of an "over-processeced meat by-product" was pretty brutal I suppose, but it's widely held poetic imagery and I'm not all that creative.

However, I still assert that a hearty Welcome is in order... we all make mistakes... I'm still waiting for *that fun or interesting quip.

Oh, and by the way, we are all moderators of this board... including you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In all fairness, I think we should all, perhaps, take a deep breath here for a second. As someone who has been involved with the small press scene, and published widely there, since the '80s, I know that most literary journals are labors of love, operating at at no profit with the main quest of providing a forum for quality writing, and, as such, are the only door open for the furtherance of literary art untainted by the demands of the marketplace. Most small press editors (and I'm not talking about the university sponsored presses here), wind up investing long hours, at the expense of the pursuit of their own literary careers, to keep their journals, whether print or cyber, afloat, many times digging into their own pockets with only the hope of breaking-even through voluntary subscriptions. It is customary, with the launch of a new journal, to find places where writers and aspiring writers may congregate to announce a "call for submissions" to help birth the new publication. I looked over the Gin Bender site, and the publisher seems to be launching the publication with every intention of integrity...this is NOT a rip-off scam like Poetry.com publishing all submissions, regardless of quality, to sell back books at a huge profit. So I believe (Mr. or Ms.?) Thompson's intentions in posting this announcement here to be good, though perhaps a a bit misdirected, since this is not really commercial Spam in the usual sense...there's nothing to sell here, although it does promote the journal. (and we must point out that, even in Poets & Writers a call for submissions does require a paid classified ad...and verily, ginbender, with a small classified ad in Anu's AWADmail newsletter you'd reach over 500,000 subscribers here [word-lovers all!], instead of the handful of folks who frequent this board!)

So, all in all, I ask ginbender to see musick's intentions as good in simply trying to protect the site by being invaded by Spam (as has happened before); and I ask musick to see ginbender's intentions as good in that this is a small press journal with, ultimately, no hope for financial gain (indeed, many established writers eagerly submit to these journals with the only payment contributor's copies (print) and exposure for their work (cyber). So I welcome both, ginbender's good intentions and efforts in furthering the avenues of literary art, and musicks's good intentions in furthering the support and protection of Anu's efforts at maintaining this site as a labor of love, and speading the love of language and the written word. So I think we can all learn something and shake hands on this, and hopefully, ginbender, you'll continue to look in and contribute (if your time allows) and become one of our band of Merry Wordsters.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Nicely said, WO'N! Blessed are the peacemakers.

(And ginbender: blessed are the pacemakers, so best of luck with your cybermag. Hope we'll see you hanging around here and enjoying the particular pleasing ambiance of AWADtalk. You added to it with your handsome apology in a separate post. Thank you for that....And - You're Very Welcome Here!)

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith