Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
> and tunes of ABBA sing thee to thy rest

I would have thought that "Waterloo" would have been one of his favourites ....

Darn, it was just getting interesting ...

F
veteran
veteran
F
I would have thought that "Waterloo" would have been one of his favourites

I suppose he never quite made it as a Dancing Queen, though he was a Super Trooper.

He should have sent an SOS to his Italian-born Spanish friend Fernando, who would have said "Mamma Mia - but of course you can Take a Chance on Me!" and rushed to help, if only he could have afforded a ticket to Denmark. Always comes down to Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Money, Money, Money, doesn't it? The Name of the Game is Life, and I Wonder if I'm ever going to win, Knowing Me. Knowing You lot, you don't care, even if you say (quintessentially): "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do!"

So Long, folks, and Thank You For the Music.

Oh, and all the fish.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
On the subject of ABBA's music, if you like the group then you would enjoy the hilarious Australian film "Muriel's Wedding." The film has many other charms besides its music, but the soundtrack of ABBA songs is an extra treat.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Go and see Mamma Mia! if you get chance. And you like Abba. A really good show. You don't have to be gay so much as happy to enjoy it.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, *I* like ABBA, she said, glaring around challengingly.
What's "Mamma Mia"? A movie?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mamma Mia is a broadway (and west end, too, i guess) show, with ABBA songs strung together to move the story line along.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Helen. In that case, I doubt I'll see it. Even if it comes to Louisville, I tend not to spend money on that sort of thing; heck, I don't even like to pay full price for first-run movies: mostly we go to matinees! The only show that I've paid to see in, oh, a couple decades or so, was Riverdance, last year. It was wonderful, but I still cringe at the cost of the tickets.

#81361 10/02/02 01:14 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I've seen Muriel's Wedding, Alex - brilliant, with or without the soundtrack.

For some reason I associate it with Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (more understandably) and Strictly Ballroom (less understandably). Also brilliant and entertaining films.

Mamma Mia!
Not seen yet, Cap. My problem is that Abba were about the first band I got into (ah, but I was so much older then...), but then I came out the other side well before their kitsch [sp?] resurrection. Not that I hate all their music now, but if I hear Dancing Queen I'm more likely to slit my wrists than go for a happy bouncy dance.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The original subject of this thread was National Band Books.

My favorite national band book has always been Seventy-six Trombones: The story of John Philip Sousa and the Marine Corps Band by Harold Hill.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

For some reason I associate it with Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert (more understandably) and Strictly Ballroom (less understandably). Also brilliant and entertaining films.

I love all those movies. On a recent re-viewing of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert I was surprised to see that Guy Pearce, who was in L.A. Confidential as Lt. Exley, was one of the drag queens.

Strictly Ballroom is my favorite of the bunch.

They are all Australian films, and very good, and I thought that there was a common director. But a quick look at amazon shows that they have different directors.

Baz Luhrmann Strictly Ballroom
P.J. Hogan Muriel’s Wedding
Stephan Elliott Priscilla …Desert

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 995 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith