Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#80745 09/18/02 06:32 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

joked about moving into no.13 on our street 'misfortune will surely follow', i said at our house warming. Within weeks our neighbour launched a campaign to oust us sending threatening letters and leaving bullets on the the doorstep (he has scared off four previous tenants, one a single m,other with three small children), then we noticed the false wall ( still haven't plucked up the courage to investigate), maybe there is something in it after all.

Dody can you elaborate? Sounds like quite a story.

#80746 09/18/02 06:50 PM
D
addict
addict
D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/371604.stm this link has some information on Yardies. dxb, I live in Moss Side in Manchester which is often referred to in the press (unfairly) as Crime Side, Gunchester. There are a lot of gangs here and shootings and riots happen often. Two shootings and two riots on my street in the last year, and it's a small street. However, it is also a friendly, vibrant community that, having been invigorated by waves of Irish, Indian, Jamaican and Somalian immigration is a rich and diverse, all year party. In the summer there are barbeques on the street corners and all the furniture from the second hand shops is commandeered by old women who sit on them shouting well meaning profanities at passers by. Carnival, Eid, St. Patricks Day, Jubilee and the World Cup were all celebrated by all residents ( except for those wanting taxis), and when it rains, which is often in Manchester, there is always the pub or the curry houses or the corner shop where I argue about politics with the boys who hang about in the back. Moss Side gets a bad press, and too many young lads die senselessly, but it is safe enough if you don't get involved in drugs.

#80747 09/19/02 12:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We have an estate behind us called the Hemmingwell. It's row upon row of cheaply-built terraced housing. I understand that it was at least partly funded by London councils who wanted to be able to resettle people out of London. Wellingborough has a lot of London accents.

The police never go there less than mob-fisted and I've lost count of the number of times a police helicopter has hovered over the Hemmingwell at some ridiculous hour of the late evening or early morning.

I'm quite happy to go through the Hemmingwell in the daytime, but at night most residents lock themselves in. Outsiders such as me just don't go there ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#80748 09/19/02 04:06 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Thanks for that link Dody. It answered my question about the derivation of the name and provided a lot of interesting detail. It seemed to imply that the Yardies are a London problem. Is that true I wonder; are your local drug gangs coming from that same background for example?

#80749 09/20/02 04:44 PM
V
V
Dodyskin,

what a wonderful elegiac description of your city!

#80750 09/21/02 02:42 PM
D
addict
addict
D
the police helicopter parks in the sky above our house, it's one of those new 'silent' ones that you are not supposed to be able to hear unless you are right underneath it, well either it doesn't work or it is hovering above our house between the hours of two and five in the morning every night. It's fun watching it chase joyriders down wilbraham road though, it suddenly rises up higher and takes off in a diagonal to head them off, untill all we can see is the searchlight. then, invariably comes tear arsing back up lloyd street until its practically above our house. the joyriders all pile out and go yard hopping until they get to the alleys ( they are too narrow for police cars), whereupon half of them are rounded up by coppers on foot in contact with the bellypopper, which has a heat seeker thing any way and has been watching them run all over the place. Great entertainment, and some small compensation for the disturbance. I'm convinced actually, that the cumulative effect of fifteen thousand people having a bad nights sleep and getting up and having to go to work is probably much worse than whatever evils the police helicopter battles nightly. Trying to hang on to the whole word post idea, is there any better word than bellypoppers for helicopters? I can't think of one.

#80751 09/21/02 03:16 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm convinced actually, that the cumulative effect of fifteen thousand people having a bad nights sleep and getting up and having to go to work is probably much worse than whatever evils the police helicopter battles nightly.

I agree, and if the 'good guys' had it *their way, the trees would line up in a row and the forest would be see-through.

bellypopper = helicopter... 'Tho it ain't listed nowhere, this sounds like "rhyming slang" (something the Cockney's are masters at).

#80752 09/21/02 08:41 PM
D
addict
addict
D
naah, it's from the BFG by Roald Dahl. The big friendly giant who mixes up his words and mixes up dreams for children at night.

#80753 09/24/02 05:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Statistically, approx five people carrying loaded guns walk past my house every day, and this is England, so NO-ONE is allowed guns
Ohmigawd--when I first read that, my eyebrows skyrocketed, and I thought, "She's got to be kidding!" But subsequent posts verified it. I cannot believe this. For AGES, it has been drummed into me that "England has no guns", along with the direct or indirect implication that the entire United States is nothing but trigger-happy fanatics and thugs. Interesting that no one bothered to inform me of the truth while telling me that *I* live in a lawless and dangerous land.

#80754 09/25/02 12:47 PM
D
addict
addict
D
The majority of English people ( I suspect) have never even seen a gun in real life Jacks. It is a small problem that is confined to small areas of inner cities, just happens to be where I live tis all. Anyway, I'm still reasonably safe, at least the POLICE don't have guns.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,339
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 756 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,545
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith