#79830 09/13/02 01:18 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
That is a great link. Here's a gem:

In reply to:

No one would dream of saying I can't get no satisfaction out of the blue to boast that he easily attains contentment.

old hand
old hand
To reiterate, "Is there any other instance of an offensive term being used by a group that will not tolerate its use by members outside of the group?"

In Oz "blackfella" can get a "whitefella" into trouble. It's line ball, but sufficiently close to the precipice for wise whities to not use in public.

I'm white but, when talking with aboriginal people, take no offence at them using "whitefella" in reference to a third party. I hesitate however at using "blackfella" in the same context. Believe it or not, I've found that asking, "Is he one of your mob?" is more acceptable once we've grown comfortable with each other.

Both terms have their origins in Pidgin English, though inevitably the second half of the word was pronounced "pella", reflecting the difficulties most (all??) of the 1,000+ aboriginal languages have with the 'eff' sound.

stales

M
old hand
old hand
M
"... reflecting the difficulties most (all??) of the 1,000+ aboriginal languages have with the 'eff' sound. ~ Stales

Is this a joke? One thousand? This seems like impossible diversity. Stales, would you please explain?

old hand
old hand
"1,000+ (Australian) aboriginal languages...??"

No joke Milum - just poor reporting for which I apologise. The actual number IS (I've LIU!!) more than 200. And we're not talking dialects, we're talking languages. It's a big place, there were heaps of small tribes, they've been here for 60,000 years and the harsh environment over much of the country ensured different languages were hatched and incubated.

I'll toddle off and do some research - but I do remember a mention of this some time ago. (I was referring back then to a stand up routine that used to be performed by a popular aboriginal guy, Ernie Dingo. He used to get his (inevitably) white comedy club audiences to show off their foreign language skills - then ask if anybody in the room could say 'yes', 'no' or anything for that matter in any one of the more than 200 aboriginal languages. You could hear a pin drop in the embarassed silence).

(EDIT - found the folowing at http://www.uws.edu.au/vip/listerp/langu.htm)

"Surprisingly some 110 languages/dialects are still spoken fluently in Australia, which is about one third my emphasis of the original number spoken. In the past, traditional names for plants and animals were poorly recorded and often, no specimens were collected. Aboriginal languages were not written and there is still some difficulties with spelling conventions. Several Aboriginal sounds don’t have English equivalents, and so a combination of these factors has led to misnaming, misidentification and much confusion about the particular plant or animal concerned. This has implications for potential bushfood and medicinal plants where misidentification may be dangerous. Acacia georginae, for example, has naturally occurring sodium fluoroacetate in the seed, the same active constituent as the rodenticide, '1080'. Here is small example (and here is a larger one) of Acacia nomenclature in central Australia, demonstrating how such confusion may arise, both from the variety of names used across language groups and the difference is spelling conventions over the last 20 years.

Repeating my point above and previously...Australians are particularly ignorant of their indigenous languages and there are relatively very few non-Aboriginal speakers of Aboriginal languages. The media make a concerted effort to pronouce non-English names for various multicultural events and significant individuals, but they still fail to correctly pronounce Aboriginal words. Yothu Yindi (a well known band) have been in the public’s eye for a decade now, yet most of us can’t pronounce the band’s name, let alone names such as Manduwuy Yunupingu (the lead singer) or his brother Galarrwuy or Gatjil Djerrkura, all of whom hold prominent cultural and professional positions, including the title 'Australian of the Year'."

Doncha love colonialism?

stales

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith