Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
old hand
old hand
M
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

What was the message given to the little fourth grade black boy who was offended by the teaching of the word "niggardly"?

(a) Even though you were mistaken in being offended, your class-induced, self-perceived, sense of inferiority can be transmuted into power and attention by citing victimhood, rather than striving in a white man's game that is already rigged.

(b) Words like "niggardly", very much too close to the offensive word "nigger", are taboo in the enlightened brave new world of today.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Send your contributions to the United Negro College Fund.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Seriously, folks, I wouldn't use the term "niggardly" around elementary school-aged children. With such a bounty of synonyms available, why cause confusion and offense? And to explain the term would just cause more confusion and offense. Really. Kids hear a little of what you say--and you often lose their attention when something that you said that they haven't understood has grasped their imaginations and they turn you off. I'm talking about little kids here. Certainly by high school, niggardly on a vocabularly test would be fine.

I think it's so weird--and I don't understand the pheonomenon at all!--that black people can refer to each other as "niggers" so easily and with humor and sometimes, too, with insult. Of course, out of the mouth of anybody else of any other color, it becomes a word that damns the speaker. I understand the damning of the speaker, but I just don't understand why nigger is used so freely among black people. Is there any other instance of an offensive term being used by a group that will not tolerate its use by members outside of the group?

#79802 09/06/02 11:44 AM
old hand
old hand
Sure - homo, queer, and fag immediately pop to mind. Perfectly standard usage among the gay community, whether self-referential or inter-referential Did I just make that up?, yet taken as completely offensive if used as a term of derision from those who are not. As a longtime fag-hag, I can usually get away with it, but only in the company of boys with whom I have an established friendship.

#79803 09/06/02 12:41 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
homo, queer, and fag immediately pop to mind

The bunch of gays you know must be pretty different to the bunch of gays I know, FB. If someone shouted at them "You're a homo/queer/fag/poof/queen" they'd almost definitely ignore the tone of voice and say "Yes. So?" or - more often - they'd respond with something more witty. "You're just a disgusting old queer" would be met with "Take that back - I'm only 25. Every birthday."

I'd find it quite hard to come up with a term that my gay friends would find genuinely offensive, in fact - unless it was in the realms of "child-rapist" or whatever, which is something else entirely.

Dunno, I live quite close to Brighton, which has a significant gay population, so my experiences may not be representative. And then the English (can't really speak for the whole UK) attitude to gays, which is coloured by a long-standing appreciation of theatrical camp, may make a difference.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Is there any other instance of an offensive term being used by a group that will not tolerate its use by members outside of the group?

Newfie: offensive when used by non-Newfoundlanders, tolerated among Newfoundlandlers, but others still don't like it said by anyone at all, presumably because of the dumb-lazy-Newfie stereotype that goes along with the word.

#79805 09/08/02 06:19 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
my experiences may not be representative

I don't think they are, at least not for the US. Over here, being gay is still looked on with scorn, mainly from the religious right who still contend that it's a choice and think it's an immoral abomination in the eyes of God. You don't have a Laramie, Wyoming in the UK. The terms queer and fag are tossed around middle and high schools in the same way as sissy anymore. They're just generally insulting. When the source is filled with homophobic disgust, the terms aren't taken lightly. It really just depends on the tone of voice. Only the most self-confident queer with no fears of bashing would respond wittily to a random passerby shouting obscenities. Of course, in the company of friends, it would be much different.

#79806 09/08/02 08:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Words like "niggardly", very much too close to the offensive word "nigger", are taboo in the enlightened brave new world of today.

and...

Certainly by high school, niggardly on a vocabularly test would be fine.

...seem to be in conflict.

--------------

Is there any other instance of an offensive term being used by a group that will not tolerate its use by members outside of the group?

Ayleurs.

#79807 09/08/02 08:40 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S

Ayleurs.

A rimshot, a very palpable rimshot.

#79808 09/08/02 09:34 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For every minority there is an offensive term. Xenophobia is very old. I can remember
"furinner" being spat out with contempt.

#79809 09/09/02 12:52 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Damnit to Hell, Musick, it's times like this that I wish my half-mickey-irish, drunken-stereotyped, alcohol-befuddled brain could remember what "ayleurs" means.

Albeit, what I intended to convey in my poorly conceived but yet posted post, was irony.

(A) That by condescending to the kids ignorance we were directing him to a future of certain failure by our lies.

(B) Those soliciting funds with the slogan A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Waste i.e., the "United Negro College Fund" - would find great offense if you referred to the recipients of your charitable largess as "Negros".

Is that not an ultimate of absurd paradox?

Imperative and fundamental to lifeforms such as we, is to build the best we can on our best constructions of reality, that is, truth.

(Associations. That seems to be my problem when I talk on this board. Oh well.)

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith