Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7949 10/23/00 08:53 AM
old hand
old hand
Jackie

I suppose we could continue this thread forever - discussing the rights and wrongs of humour. I muist admit, once again, though, that whilst I felt a twinge of guilt, I also had to laugh when I read the joke. Quite irresistible - perhaps the reason why dictators hate comedians.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7950 10/23/00 09:22 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>rights and wrongs of humour

I think that one of the things that alternative comedy has tried to do is to shift the butt of a joke from something that one has no choice about (eg being a mother-in-law (tired humour), different religions or races (no choice)) to something which has involved a choice (being a politician (fair game), being a member of a particular profession (a lawyer - they can take it)). Hence the Irish joke in Britain and the Polish joke in America appear to been replaced, in many (but not all)circles, by jokes about lawyers, Tony Blair or Bill Clinton.

Jokes about religion, gender, or race tend to be told these days, more by people where they themselves are the but of the joke, not others. In the same way clowning, slapstick and visual humour tends to focus on the person appearing to be foolish.

I suppose humour is society's way of discussing difficult issues. We can tell a lot about whether people have similar views to ourselves by their reaction to different kinds of humour.

I suspect that the people of Eastbourne would be amused by the play in words in the joke mentioned earlier and would tell the story about themselves.

>dictators hate comedians

I'm sure they do!

#7951 10/23/00 09:25 AM
old hand
old hand
So how's the tan?

#7952 10/23/00 09:39 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>So how's the tan?

Gorgeous!

#7953 10/23/00 12:29 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I suspect that the people of Eastbourne would be amused by the play in words..and would tell the story about themselves.

Well, it's a brilliant joke, and the younger residents definitely would (as I live in Sussex myself I've actually passed this joke on to a few locals) !

But possibly, Jo, that's a bit of an argument against your viewpoint of people rarely being cruel to others in their humour these days. Much as I admire the principle, and try to endorse the practice.

For one thing, humour is hardly ever solely directed at oneself, any more than it is solely directed at others.

I think you hit the nail on the head with humour is society's way of discussing difficult issues. Among those difficult issues are matters such as being unable to call a spade a spade, and having to politely ignore the unpleasant attributes of, say, old people and sick people whilst in their presence. Hence a lot of nurses and carers tend to have what could be seen as a "sick" sense of humour. This doesn't mean that they are at all uncaring, unprofessional and/or not suited to their work - it's just a much-needed occasional outlet, and maybe the flip-side of the coin to some of the horror they willingly take on in their working lives.

I think it's very true that laughter is the best medicine. It's also true that sometimes, in an otherwise unbearable situation, "you've just got to laugh".

After the recent floods where the centre of Lewes (England) was pretty much wiped out, I noticed a sign up outside the remains of a pub:

Opening soon - Lewes' first Scuba Bar!
Todays' Specials
Adam's Ale
Noah's Tipple
OUR BEERS AREN'T WATERED DOWN

Tears and laughter; instant enantiodroma.

#7954 10/23/00 12:56 PM
old hand
old hand
Feeling very smug now about the famous (?) British sense of humour (and the Dunkirk spirit?).

Thanks for that.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#7955 10/23/00 09:32 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
the famous (?) British sense of humour (and the Dunkirk spirit?)

Something like that!
Likewise smug.
And my pleasure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 670 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith