Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#78931 08/27/02 12:25 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
of Troy:

We'll have to keep our eyes peeled on the moon this year. For a fact I've seen an orange moon. Can't ever recall having seen a rose moon, but who knows? I'll turn moon watcher this year and keep you posted.

Now purple hair: Yes. Some jet black hair, very silkly and oily, will get a purple cast to it in certain light.

And colors are affected, as you've noted, in different ways at various times of day and by various workings in the sky with or against the sun.

I read an account of historical volcanic eruptions recently in which the eruption of Tambora on the island of Sumbawa in 1815 caused snow to fall in 1816 in a variety of colors: red, brown and yellow snow. What's happening in the stratosphere has a lot to do with the colors we see. The sun in 1816 wasn't quite right either. It was described as not shining, but was often dull red. And the earth was cold with corn in some locations not developing fully--staying green through Novemember. A contemporary observer said what occurred was a reverse greenhouse effect.

And I thought: Hmmmm. Need to reverse the greenhouse effect? Well, just go construct a volcanic eruption on the amplitutde of Tambora. Of course, make sure that there's enough food stored for everybody before you carry out the construction and cause the eruption!

Blast regards,
WW

#78932 08/27/02 12:34 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's a little more on Tamboro I just googled--only here the sun is described as being bluish. My first source, Tales of the Earth did not mention this bluish color:

Recognition of the climatic changes associated with volcanic eruptions can be traced back to 1783, when Benjamin Franklin observed the "dry fog" in Europe following the Laki Fissure eruption in Iceland. In fact, historical records are quite useful to re-write the history of the effects of past eruptions on past climates. Records that describe prolonged darkness, cold summers and colder winters, failed crops, and famine, all indicate post-eruption conditions. After the 1883 Krakatoa eruption, observations of atmospheric optical phenomenon were made, including blurring of celestial objects, an odd bluish color of the sun, and extreme sunrises and sunsets (Rampino, Self and Stothers, 1988).

Examples of climate change due to past volcanic eruptions

Perhaps one of the best known climatic alterations due to a volcanic eruption is the year 1816; the "year without a summer" following the 1815 Tambora eruption on Sumbawa Island in Indonesia. Tambora is one of the largest known eruptions in the past 10,000 years (Rampino, Self, and Stothers, 1988). It produced ash fallout over a 4x105 km2 area and caused darkness for about 2 days as far away as 600 km from the volcano. Studies including tree ring observations, indicate that the 1816 summer was approximately 1.5 °C cooler than the summer of 1815. The year following the eruption was one of hardship felt across the globe. The summer was cold and wet in western Europe, crops failed, people starved, disease spread and social unrest grew (Rampino, Self, and Stothers, 1988).

http://www.geo.umn.edu/courses/1001/climate_natural.html

D
addict
addict
D
I thought sky-blue was azure.

#78934 08/27/02 02:07 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Kids raised in schools that are monkey puke green will be later more able to tolerate working in a VA hospital whose walls are baby s**t brown...

Jackie your underwater room sounds awesome. One of these days I will own a house and I think I may have to decorate one of the rooms just so, or rather, have someone decorate it for me while I take a nap.

Speaking of the color of rooms (and perhaps digressing a bit), I love the warm look of craftsman style cottages, with lots of brown and tan wood colors and the amber light of stained glass lamps.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought sky-blue was azure.

Depends on where you are and how polluted the atmosphere is. In Zild, it's generally considered to be cerulean. Or sky-blue, take your pick ..

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#78936 08/27/02 09:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"violet haired, pure, honey smiling"..."rosey-fingered moon"

Roses come in a lot of different colors as do wines. If the violet was the same as the purple that was used on senators' togas it was from a shellfish and about the color of Theresa's hair. If I remember Theresa's hair aright. The ASp seems to agree with me about what I remember her hair color to be, so.

F
veteran
veteran
F
We could take a look at the dyes available during the time of Joseph and then make a pretty good guess about the colors that could have been used in his coat...

It was red and yellow and green and brown
And scarlet and black and ochre and peach
And ruby and olive and violet and fawn
And lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
And cream and crimson and silver and rose
And azure and lemon and russet and grey
And purple and white and pink and orange
And blue

- according to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice (Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
according to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice

Well, as long as you have it on good authority.

#78939 08/28/02 03:01 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
>according to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice
Well, as long as you have it on good authority.

Actually I saw it in a dream, Falro, but nobody would believe that, eh?

Jofish

#78940 08/29/02 02:47 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
blues and greens are very cool, comfortable colors.

I've heard that this is why default computer wallpapers are primarily blue and green. For instance, Win XP uses a rolling landscape with a rich blue sky and deep green grass. Mac OS X uses an abstract swooping fold of blues. These are supposed to make you feel calm while you're using your computer, so you like their product more.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith