Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
who knows what lies at the heart of these words?
the shadow (also known as joe friday) [a fictitious and fictional construct bearing some fictive gravitas] do...

Fiction

[14c: from Latin fictio/fictionis a shaping, from fingere/fictum to fashion]. A general term for something created by the human mind. It has three aspects, each with an appropriate adjective: (1) (Both countable and uncountable). Not fact, but an invention of some kind, sometimes a fabrication or lie. The detective Sherlock Holmes was an invention of the writer Arthur Conan Doyle, and as such is fictitious; no such person ever lived. (2) (Usually uncountable). Not fact, but still part of reality; imaginative narrative, often part of literature: works of fiction in contrast with non-fiction, especially in bookshops and libraries. Here the fictional Sherlock Holmes is a fact in the sense that a character with this name appears in certain stories and films, and can be discussed in much the same way as a historical person. (3) (Usually countable). A special kind of 'fact': a social and cultural construct, such as a legal fiction that helps in the administration of the law, temporal fictions such as the days of the week, and geographical fictions like the Equator. Such constructs are part of life; they are fictive or constructed, and include products of imaginative storytelling. Fictively, Sherlock Holmes and the Equator are on a par, the one influencing crime writers, criminologists, and enthusiasts for the detective story, the other affecting geographers and sailors. The fictive generally subsumes both the fictional and the fictitious. Fictitious reports and fictional plots and characters are constantly being created in a language like English. At a certain level of discussion the language is itself fictive: something created by the human mind within a cultural system so as to serve certain social ends.

The Oxford Companion to the English Language, © Tom McArthur 1992

C
C
<temporal fictions such as the days of the week>

On every 6th weekend when I am required to work (manufacturing coverage), Saturday and Sunday are indeed *fiction*.

What an interesting commentary tsuwm.....and it's even written at a level where a left-brainer like ME can understand it!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
one of my boys, when he was about 5, and had learned the meaning of fiction, used to call himself "Eye-fiction Man!". he would imagine things to be different than they were, as he looked at them, such as colored vapor-trails from jets, and other very creative visuals. it made for some very interesting conversations! I was sad when that phase passed...

formerly known as etaoin...
#77524 08/05/02 11:05 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
A special kind of 'fact': a social and cultural construct, such as a legal fiction that helps in the administration of the law, temporal fictions such as the days of the week, and geographical fictions like the Equator. Such constructs are part of life

So would Bill's "fictive island" be an island that it is for some reason useful to believe in, nuncle? Or is it enough that the island provides a location for a set of stories? That would appear a little self-referential and presumptuous - i.e. "If this book gets the huge amount of attention I think it deserves, the island will become as valid a construct as the days of the week or the Equator"

Perhaps the writer is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy (any vested interest in the book(s) doing well, perchance?)

#77525 08/05/02 01:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Perhaps the writer is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy...

but wasn't the writer in question a reviewer?

#77526 08/06/02 09:12 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
>Perhaps the writer is trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy...
but wasn't the writer in question a reviewer?

That's why I was wondering if he had a vested interest, shares in the publishing company or whatever. Insider dealing is not unheard of even these days, enRon.

#77527 08/06/02 09:29 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I don't expect "fictive" to be used very often. But this once, I liked it. Again, I hope
I have not sounded stuffy. Bill

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 751 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith