Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#76663 07/22/02 01:51 PM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
EDIT: Some joker seems to think it's rather fun to keep resurrecting this now-very-old-and-no-longer-applicable thread. Never mind - the last three or four paragraphs are as applicable as ever! - love to y'all, Mary (updated March 10, 2003)

Well, I'm sorry to have to say it, but I'm going to be spending a LOT less time here in future....I will miss y'all.

Thing is, I am finally getting a life! or so it seems. Have been found by a very nice man (something my mother always told me I wanted: "What you want, darling, is for a nice man to find you" - as opposed to t'other way around, I s'pose! certainly I've had pretty bad luck trying to find one for myself, so nice to have it happen the way ol' Mum predicted was best!). He is taking up a lot of my time.

Then I'm swotting French for an exam for a govt. job - take the test Wednesday, don't know what the next step will be or even if they will invite me to take it - an interview, I imagine? so I should be studying right now! don't know for sure if there'll be a French component to this exam but fear the worst ("the worst" because I haven't used French since Grade 12, more years ago than I care to remember!).

And I'm leaving on mes vacances soon, aussi, so won't be parked in front of a screen then either....And then it will be the fall, when all kinds of other busynesses kick in.

But hey, maybe if I get that govt. job, I'll have time and opportunity to pop in here! that'd be sweet....

Meanwhile, I hope I will be popping in occasionally, but realistically I think I'll be disappearing for awhile. It makes me a bit sad....I was realising that meeting people on the Internet like this is very like travelling: You meet some wonderful people (and, let's face it, some you wouldn't even eat a bag lunch with!). You form new friendships; you stay in touch. Gradually some of these wonderful people drift out of your immediate life - you don't hear from them anywhere near as often, nor do they hear from you anywhere near as often. And you miss that wonderfulness in your life.

But....

You take comfort in knowing that such wonderful people are Out There in the world, being wonderful, and that other people are receiving the first-hand benefits of their wonderfulness.

I so love knowing that all of you are Out There - so much goodness spread around the globe! - and I hope to find y'all here and posting happily, whenever I can pop in.

Love to all
Mary

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#76664 07/22/02 02:09 PM
M
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Okay, and now I'm leaving for another reason: I just checked my email and found this from the webmaster at AWAD:

Someone from the ip address '152.163.188.7' requested a temporary password for the Username 'modestgoddess' for the website 'AWADtalk'. This is a temporary password that can be used if you have forgotten your original password. If you did not request this, please ignore this message. The temporary password for this Username is...

Who the hell would do something like that? try to get in under my handle? Right, I'm definitely outtie. There's a wolf among the sheep.

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#76665 07/22/02 02:18 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Mary, you've been a ray of sunshine

Return whenever and you'll be more than welcome. Despite missing you like mad, we'll still be here!

Enjoy yourself, and good luck in whatever you find yourself doing.

[big hug-e]

Teletubby Fisk

#76666 07/22/02 02:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All the best, Mary.

#76667 07/22/02 02:58 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
152.163.188.7 resolves to "cache-ra07.proxy.aol.com".

AOL is probably one of the most (over)used ISPs ever, but possibly not on this Board, eh?

Worth emailing Anu if this is getting constant. He could tie it up with regular users signing on if need be.

Meanwhile, I'd recommend everybody make a point of incorporating a number somewhere in their passwords. This makes working them out considerably more difficult.

#76668 07/22/02 03:09 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Well, ModGod, ... Mary. I hope you won't condemn us all because of a single 'wolf'. I fear you are not the only person who has received such a mail. I suspect the same one it has always been is still lurking in the undergrowth, and as such, isn't really a member of our board.

On a lighter note, let me congratulate you on your being found! I have only recently learned that the astounding thing about maternity is that it has an insight and intellect that is very obscured, very subtle, and is largely untapped by most of us - men and women alike. Mothers truly are the ultimate oracle. Your mother was clearly no exception, and you are an esprit fort.

All the best.

#76669 07/22/02 03:21 PM
N
addict
addict
N
MG - I've never contacted you directly, but I do enjoy your posts a great deal. You are one of the "wonderful people" but now you'll just be Out There more than In Here. C'mon back whenever the spirit moves you and your real life allows!

nancyk

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Good luck Mary! Come back, or just pop in, whenever the timing seems right - it's been a pleasure sharing some of your company.

and don't worry too much about the 'wolf' - I've had three such messages in the last ten days... whoever it is seems more like a not very bright puppy!

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Good luck, Mary, both with the exam/interview, the lucky person who "found" you and with life generally.

Do continue to pop in when you have the time - we'll miss you.

atb

H

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hello, MG and Mary, too:

Once things settle down (and they always do), just pop back in one you've gotten adjusted to the new tempo.

Wish you great luck with your interview and on your exam!

Hit-the-book regards,
WellWisher

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith