Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
such a person is a bane, a pest, a bête noire, a bugbear, a curse... and speaking of a curse, could be personified (so to speak) by Joe Bfstplk, the Al Capp cartoon character who walked around with a storm cloud over his head and was a total jinx but otherwise was pretty likable.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
The epithet that springs to my mind is, "pillock."

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A sociallydestructive person is an illwind, because it's an ill wind that brings nobody any good.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A sociallydestructive person is an illwind

Ahem. Not to be confused with a wordwind, Dr. Bill.

M
old hand
old hand
M
I also think it is a mythical term... or maybe biblical.

When I have time, I'll have a look through my Facts on File Dictionary of Classical, Biblical, and Literary Allusions and see what I can find....but don't have time at the moment, should be heading off for bed, dammitall, what am I doing here AGAIN?!

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

D
addict
addict
D
plonker or dipstick are good words for hapless mayhem magnets ( thinking rodney trotter here)

#76283 07/18/02 12:23 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> I'll have a look through my Facts on File Dictionary of Classical, Biblical, and Literary Allusions

Please do, MG, you might find what I'm trying to think of.
I like tsuwm's options; a bête noire is a little fav. of mine (sic).
I was lying round reading last night and it occured to me there there is probably a classical literary character that fits this description perfectly. I'm no expert on Greek lit. but I'm sure there's a Euripidean play that deals with this. Perhaps there is a character who fits this context? What about Deianeira? ...she certainly causes disaster unwittingly, when her desire to protect her marriage leads to Herakles' death, and her suicide. I don't know all those plays well enough to round down too well. Maybe someone else can. You'd think that in all the tragedies that Euripides or Aeschylus, or one of those blokes wrote, that they would have to have dealt with this topic.

F
veteran
veteran
F
plonker or dipstick are good words for hapless mayhem magnets

Only thing is that neither specifies someone who brings bad things to others, dody, though certainly the unintentional aspect is there.

However, I think the term "mayhem magnet" is brilliant, and should be included in the world-famous AWADictionary

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
How 'bout Frankenstein?..."I only wanted to be friends with the girl, but she just kept screaming."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I can't for the life of me remember title or author of a story I read once about a lorry driver that couldn't escape the rain. That meant he could never stay long in one place because then there would be floods. Could it be Douglas Adams? This is now driving me nuts, TYVM! Admittedly, it's a short drive!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 285 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith