Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#75746 07/10/02 09:02 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
wwh:

I don't think it's a common water glass that Jackie hasn't heard of before. I suspect it is one of the more esoteric (to most) applications of the term!

You've got to be making one of your jokes again, you adolescent child!

Best regards,
WordWaterGlass

#75747 07/10/02 09:13 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: A long tima ago, my Grandmother brough my father a beautiful cut glass tumbler.
When he drank from it, a place that wouldn't let water out when glass was upright, let
a lot of water fall onto his necktie.
My father never said a word. The next year, when Grandma came to visit, when she sat
down, there was a very rude noise, that made her face turn scarlet. The cushion of her
chair was a large flat airbag, with a razzer attached.
Both items had been purchased at Daddy & Jacks, a joke store on Bromfield Street in
Boston. I wonder if that store is still there.

I suppose in Kentucky everybody drinks bourbon straight, and water glass would be
a dirty word.

#75748 07/10/02 09:20 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wwh,

Do you think that all that people ever drink in Kentucky is straight bourbon? Woo-whee! What a place to be! Yes, I do now see your logic in believing perhaps dear Jackie has never been exposed to water glasses. Silly me. I never considered the Kentucky factor!

For edification of the souls that happen by here, would you please inform us about what a "razzer" is? I've never heard of a "razzer," although I have heard of a "rasher" of bacon, which is something altogether different.

Best regards,
your fan,
WW

#75749 07/10/02 09:56 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
a very rude noise, that made her face turn scarlet. The cushion of her chair was a large flat airbag, with a razzer attached

Over here we'd call that a whoopee cushion Bill. Sure you'd wanted to know that .

Do you call making farty noises "blowing raspberries" over your side of the Pond? How about folk elsewhere (aloud)?

#75750 07/10/02 10:02 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Blowing raspberries! Making farty sounds? Well, yes, as long as you blow 'em between your lips. I certainly hope blowing raspberries on your side of the pond, Fish, wouldn't be blowin' 'em with any other orifice!

[raspberry!]

WW

#75751 07/10/02 10:08 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mercy me, I should have returned sooner, methinks--what a scrap! Apparently, I wasn't the only one who'd not heard of it.
Dr. Bill had it right: I meant waterglass, not water glass.
Obviously, he had heard of it. The friend told me he used it to hold cardboard together when he made homemade fireworks many years ago. Now I have a couple more questions about it: was/is it a liquid, paste, or what? And...how did it come to be called waterglass? Oh! Silica...glass; water = liquid; = liquid glass??

I'd never heard of clepsydra, either; thanks for the elucidation, by.

tsuwm: hi! [shy smile e]

#75752 07/10/02 10:14 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Razzberry, Bronx cheer. Other names I have forgotten. A party favor, a half inch wooden tube, with
very flexible latex tube covering one end and moulded into flattened end that vibrates when air
is blown throught the wooden mouthpiece. Indecent anal sphincter duplication. Fortunately no
olfactory component. Reminds me of banana ooat shortwave operator when I was ten years old.
He was enormously obese, and was taking Kruschen Salts, an over-the-counter weight reduction
nostrum, containing a mixture of sulfate compounds, that his digestive tract turned into H2S. When
his wife told him where she wanted to sit in theatre, he would slroll down, aoundlessly lay down
an interdictory gas barrage. Very soon twenty people would hurriedly seek different seats.
If it hadn't been silent, he would have been beaten to a pulp.

#75753 07/10/02 11:50 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Aw, gee, and I had a story all ready to explain why Jackie never drinks water.
She owns a priceless replica of the Mannekin pis, with inscription
"Ne bouvez jamais d'eau!" For a photo, use URL and scroll down a quarter of the way

http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/pa09/europetrip/brussels/brussels1.htm

#75754 07/11/02 02:25 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Things are so dry here in Denver area that many restaurants will not provide you with a glass of water until you ask for it. There's apparently some talk of actually charging for a glass of water.

Same here in Jersey, TEd. Drought's so bad my tomatoes stopped growing. We got back our lawn and garden-watering (every other day) about 4 weeks ago...the lawn you can let go. But it's so dry that if you let the garden go over a day it all starts drooping badly, so the garden plants have got to get a daily drink. My cucumbers didn't even come up for the first time ever (oops...somebody's gonna run with that one ). Still no car washing allowed. And people weren't even allowed to refill their pools till the end of May when we got about a week of moisture (but not enough). Just before all the fires out West got started we had a big one here in the Pine Barrens in Ocean/Atlantic counties....actually closed down the Garden State Parkway.

Calling all rain dancers!!!

#75755 07/11/02 12:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Reminds me of the storyof the pretty lady who was walking through her neighborhood when she saw a garden with the most beautiful shiny red tomatoes she'd ever seen. She asked the guy how he did it. He laughed and said, "Oh, I just come out at night and expose myself to them. They blush really red, don't you think?"

The pretty lass said perhaps she'd try that. A couple of weeks later she walked by the guy's house again and he asked her how her tomatoes were doing. "Not getting red like your," she replied, "but you should see my cucumbers."

TEd
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 774 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith