R
Rosten Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
An open letter to Anu Garg

Dear Anu,

I hope this proposal will resolve disagreements that are pending on the AWADtalk board.

Of your many AWAD subscribers, quite a few have registered with the board. Some registrants feel comfortable enough to post there regularly (but would prefer that I leave that board); others have, for whatever reason, not felt the existing board to be to their tastes.

I propose, at my expense, to set up and run a similar board, with identical software but with a more active "administrative role" (as discussed below). It will doubtless develop a different character, and both new and existing posters can feel free to post on either board or both, according to their preference. Your main AWAD site would inform its users of both boards, so that they can take their choice as they prefer.

Since you (and not I) know where to get that board-software, I'll need your cooperation to set up the second board. But with your background expertise in running this board, that will be quite easy for you.

I'll be glad to leave the existing board, as a number of people there wish, if we can agree upon and implement something along these lines.

This is only a discussion-proposal - but if this concept is acceptable, let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can work out the details, put my commitment in writing, and implement as soon as possible. Thank you.

#75112 07/05/02 02:28 PM
R
Rosten Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Tentative role of administrator(s) in new board:

1. Rules to be enforced: should be reasonably specific to minimize discretion (leaving less scope for criticism or pressure on the exercise of discretion). Tentative rule: the same as Wordwind proposed in her "moratorium on personal disagreements": posts can be critiqued (politely), but persons cannot.

2. Sanction for violations: should be mild (not so harsh that the administrator(s) will hesitate to apply it) and progressive. Tentative sanction: opportunity to retract; if no retraction, a one-day ban; length of ban increases by one day with each further offense.

#75113 07/05/02 02:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
am i alone in thinking that this proposal sound like blackmail? i'll go away if you contribute time and effort to make me do so..
no Keiva, no rotten one, no what ever your name is.. we can't be goaded, or threatened or cohersed.. don't you get it? paying off a blackmailer never works, because there is no honor...

your threats, made early this week, and that what "charges made" was, a threat, make it clear, why you might be a law school graduate, but you are no lawyer. you use the law-- you know just how far you can go, to threaten and to try to imtimadate, while skirting, and having 'deniablity'...

no matter what you say about being reasonable, it is clear you are liar, a bully and now a blackmailer.. gee, is it any wonder why you are so unwelcome?

#75114 07/05/02 03:13 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I think that it would be easy enough for anyone to set up a new board. It isn't difficult or expensive. I don't see any reason for Anu to mention it on AWAD - whether it has been set up by me (which I might) or you. It is pretty easy to get your website listed by the search engines, then follow it up with a certain amount of marketing - it will sink or swim according to its own merits. I have no doubt that there are some people who might like such a place to discuss words. There are several others out there - we just happen to have landed in this place. I don't think that using AWAD as a crutch would be necessary or acceptable.

Edit: I understand that this message has been misunderstood as negative. It is not. It is entirely positive. I support the setting up of as many new boards, by as many people as wish to do it, as the market (=english speaking population with access to computers) will bear. I do not see the link to AWAD as being particularly helpful or necessary.

#75115 07/05/02 10:05 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Rosten, aka Keiva sent me a veiled threat, suggesting I might regret
saying Rosten was unwelcome to post. Keiva: you are unwelcome by any name
to post in AWADtalk. You started a flamewar, and would not quit. You got banned
by Jackie, the most reasonable and fair person I can imagine. She had been your
friend and you hurt and humiliated her very painfully. You hinted to Wordsmith that
he might be liable for a libel suit. So he reinstated you. After threatening and at least
mildly humiliating him, you are now asking him to help you. What insolence.

#75116 07/06/02 12:44 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>I hope this proposal will resolve disagreements that are pending on the AWADtalk board.

Since the userid Keiva apparently cannot post here any more, which leads me to believe that userid has been banned, there is nothing for resolution except for your posting under yet another name. You may bring that resolution to fruition by your swift and permanent departure.

And it takes a considerable amount of nerve to ask for assistance from someone whom you have so shabbily treated.

>Your main AWAD site would inform its users of both boards, so that they can take their choice as they prefer.

So, as I understand it, you will extract a pound of flesh by forcing Anu Garg to advertise a competing web site on his AWAD site. You may not have considered the import of this, but Mr. Garg's site is commercial in that he has accepted advertising. How many advertisers are going to allow AWAD to publicize a site that would draw away customers, which customers are the basis for their making the advertising payments?

>I'll be glad to leave the existing board, as a number of people there wish, if we can agree upon and implement something along these lines.

A friendly coercion, er, I mean persuasion.

If I were Mr. Garg, I would not even respond to this idiotic and self-serving proposal. Mr. Garg has nothing to gain from this that he cannot achieve by simply banning Rosten, as has apparently happened to the Keiva persona.

And don't bother coming back to me and lying about the conditions under which the original ban of the Keiva userid took place. Your implication that you were allowed to come back with another userid (AphonicRants) was the most base thing you did to me personally.

The obvious contempt you exhibited towards me was not unnoticed, nor was it unreturned.

Having said this, I return to my prior stance of not posting until you are permanently gone from this board.

TEd
#75117 07/06/02 01:52 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<Your main AWAD site would inform its users of both boards, so that they can take their choice as they prefer.>>

F*ck off.

#75118 07/06/02 02:38 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Keiva, mate, someone needs to put their foot up your crack to give that ass some soul.

#75119 07/06/02 02:47 PM
R
addict
addict
R
I couldn't have put it better myself, BY and I will gladly carry out the deed. Size 12 steel-toe. No charge to you, Keiva. The pleasure is all mine.

#75120 07/06/02 03:08 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear BY and Rubrick: Sticks and stones may break bones, but words will never bother Keiva.
The thing that I believe will work is to deprive him of pleasure in posting, by merely
recapitulating the unforgivable things he did, so newcomers will know about them.

I have suggested to him that it is unrealistic to expect Wordsmith to tell him how to set up
his own site after what he did to Wordsmith. And Wordsmith might justifiably be concerned
that Keiva would sue him if any directions given did not work.

A solution that ought to be more appropriate I have suggested to Keiva. To take the computer
courses he needs to set up his own site, either on Internet or in community college.
Or even correspondence courses. He would need to be able to troublehoot his site after he
had set it up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith