Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Wow: There was a good Hibernian in my mother's home town, Belfast, Maine,
who wore a heavy sweater in July, because "what'll keep out the cold, will keep
out the hayt."

#74619 07/07/02 07:21 PM
old hand
old hand
>Aren't the black cloak things worn by Arab Nomads also a heavy wool? And aren't they worn day and night?

They're probably cotton or hemp. Although the theory behind the voluminous cut of the garment is that air can circulate within the folds of the fabric, so it doesn't much matter what it's made of. I don't know about the day & night principle, but it's always puzzled me that black would be the color of choice, being that it absorbs heat...

#74620 07/07/02 08:54 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
if I ever get shot by Cupid's arrow I can just pull the fabric and get rid of the pesky imp

Far cheaper, and more commonplace, to just have a heart of stone, Wise One.

Have I met you?!

#74621 07/08/02 03:23 PM
D
addict
addict
D

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, my dear Fishonabike!
No Wise Old Woman would ever want a heart of stone ... it is the listening and loving heart that helps *make us wise.

It's just that at 73 I am sorta "over" that Cupid's Arrow nonsense ... give me a deep, kind hearted, clear thinking man with a keen sense of the absurd over a "stud" any time.

If we had met I am sure we would have our heads together over something interesting while enjoying a home made French Vanilla iced coffee! At least till the sun was over the yardarm - - somewhere.

Anytime you're in the neighborhood!

#74623 07/08/02 03:53 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
thanks dody! Archiologist have found silk fibers in eygptian tombs! silk was very popular!

Cotton too, was an imported fabric, it was grown in eygpt, but it was also first cultivated in China. It was grown in other countries,as well, and it was one the few plants that was domesticated both in old world and new world..

but it never made it to North america till europeans settle here.. the spanish brought it from south america to north america... Cotton doesn't grow in the area near equator, (it need some change of day/night times to set flower, not much but to close to equator, and it loses track) and there were not the same established trade routes from North America to South America as there were from Europe to China.. (read Gun, Germs and Steel, by Jared Diamond for a detailed answer of why that occured)

In North america, there were almost no domestic crops or animals for fibers..

in different places, different plants were used, but nothing as wide spread as sheep (for wool), or flax (linen) or cotton...

Pacific Northwest indians had a dog that was bred for its soft underbelly fur, that was collected and spun.. and there were many types of bark cloth.. but most american indians wore leather.

Hopi indians used the wool from sheep they had captured (they did not have a domesticated one) to make wool blankets.. and once domestic sheep were introduced, they became sheepherders.. but they had been semi nomdic, herders of wild sheep.

both new world and old had very similiar spindles and looms.

F
veteran
veteran
F
enjoying a home made French Vanilla iced coffee...Anytime you're in the neighborhood!

Note the selective citation. You're on.

Hmmm, a "clear thinking man with a keen sense of the absurd" - now there's an interesting mix! Though perhaps the two go hand in hand?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 710 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith