Page 1 of 2 1 2
#74013 06/24/02 02:03 AM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
While so many of you were at Wordapalooza, I returned, along with a few others, and had a wonderful time exchanging ideas, limericks, tall tales, etc. on this board. I do hope that those of you who weren't on the board this weekend will allow us to continue in that amicable pattern, displaying courtesy to the several newcomers and old-timers alike, and having a good, and frequently edifying time, just as it should be!

Best wishes to you all,

Geoff

#74014 06/24/02 02:55 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Geoff, I'm delighted to see that it's still possible for someone to have a good time here.

I wasn't at WP, never had any intention of going and nothing appeared to entice me there. (Anyway, I had another place to be that I couldn't skip.) I think I can speak for the emigrés who were (and weren't) at WP in saying that we are still firm AWAD supporters in spite of everything and we condemn flaming as much as you. We look forward to when we will feel able to return in full force, but I think you know what the obstacle to that is. Meanwhile, there are some of us who look in now and then (mainly to test the waters) and I am encouraged. My best to you, Dr. Bill, and the immovable brigade.

#74015 06/24/02 03:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, yes!...conviviality...has a magical ring to it!...may it's aura bless us all once again!

#74016 06/25/02 04:36 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hi Geoff -

I really enjoyed looking through Bill's "all alone" thread - what fun you fellers (and chickies!) had this weekend! I tend not to switch on ye olde compuker on le weekend (or le ouikend, as I believe you styled it once?! or something similar!) - now look what I missed out on!

I like it here. Let's play some more!

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#74017 06/27/02 01:44 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
While so many of you were at Wordapalooza, I returned, along with a few others, and had a wonderful time exchanging ideas, limericks, tall tales, etc. on this board. I do hope that those of you who weren't on the board this weekend will allow us to continue in that amicable pattern, displaying courtesy to the several newcomers and old-timers alike, and having a good, and frequently edifying time, just as it should be!

Geoff,
When I first read your post, I thought, wouldn't congeniality be a better word? But after overcoming a laziness to liu, I did liued it and found that conviviality is very apt to the situation at hand because it means jovial and social (+ity) and also discovered that it is a beautiful word at its Latin roots which is "convivium" meaning "a living together" and "a banquet" (AHD)

On the other hand congenial means having the same taste or temperament, sympathetic, agreeable.

Conviviality, indeed!
Hi Geoff, will you be lurking now or continue to be convivial? Anyway, it was nice to "see you" again

#74018 06/29/02 12:41 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
*Sigh* That's the way the board used to be. I'm so glad that so many of you had an opportunity to enjoy it as did those of us at WaPaloo. But.....we had a swimming pool! Thanks again, Sparteye, for such a wonderful, stressless conviviality.

#74019 06/29/02 06:06 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ahhhh, at last a motto for AWAD.
Stolen, I must admit from my Great-grand-Aunt, a Mother Superior in the Order of The House of Good Sherherd.
She had - I am told _ a bell and a plaque at her door which said (Latin scholars please correct spelling/grammar etc)

"Si non convivare, noli tintinare"

Loosely translated "If you are not convivial do not ring."

(I've neen told it was put to more corrupt uses in the '60s) Be that as it may, I am sure the Good Mother meant convivial in the best sense of the word.

I may obtain a suitablel bell and plaque with those words for the door to the AWAD arboreal fane wherein may be found surcease from sadness, salve for the spirit, laughter, love and affection for all who come in the spirit of conviviality.
Your High Priestess
WOW

Thank you, Geoff

#74020 06/29/02 06:19 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
"Si non convivare, ... "

"If you don't swing, ..."

#74021 06/29/02 07:23 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: You are an extortionist and unwelcome.

Dear wow: You had me excited for a minute, thinking Poe's "tintinabulation of the bells' was
not an inspired coinage of his as I had believed. Sadly I must state Latin dictionary does
not contain very "tintinare". I'm brokenhearted.

#74022 06/30/02 03:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
came up with this in a search of Latin dictionaries:

tintinare

tintin.are V 1 1 PRES ACTIVE INF 0 X
tintin.are V 1 1 PRES PASSIVE IND 2 S Early
tintin.are V 1 1 PRES PASSIVE IMP 2 S
tintino, tintinare, tintinavi, tintinatus V
make a ringing or jangling sound;
Syncope r => v.r
Syncopated perfect often drops the 'v' and contracts vowel
tintinav.ere V 1 1 PERF ACTIVE IND 3 P
tintino, tintinare, tintinavi, tintinatus V
make a ringing or jangling sound;

as my Latin is non-existent, I'm not sure if this means that this is a genuine word, or just what it would mean in Latin if it were. know what I mean?

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith