Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#73910 06/23/02 07:36 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Geoff: If you have a Confederate sawbuck, I'll bet you could get a portrait of Alexander Hamilton
for it. The South will rise again.

#73911 06/23/02 08:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The South will rise again.

The South did rise again...LBJ, Jimmy Carter, George Bush, Sr. (Tex.?), Jesse Helms, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush...need I say more?

B
veteran
veteran
B
WON, I'm only a part-Yankee, but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the South, so that leaves out Bushes, Clintons, Grams, and other assorted riffraff. They may consider themselves Southerners, but that doesn't make them Southerners.

Do you 'Bamians and other real Southerners agree with this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the
South.

Interesting assertion, BobY...'course, uh, the Texans who fought through Devil's Den and charged up Little Round Top at Gettysburg might take some dispute with that.

Don't mess with Texas!

(and does that include the western half of Louisiana?)

#73914 06/25/02 06:31 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yankees just fashion themselves as being more 'enlightened' than us rednecks. They, like some on this board, feel as though the number of syllables one uses to describe something is a direct representation of their smarts. They thinks theys better than us!!

O, gee whiz, Chem ... I sure do hope you are joking. I am a damyankee but, Some of my name-relatives settled in 'Bama and some in Maryland.
Years ago, in my youth we called soft drinks "tonic" until we learned better from you southern gentelmen who were in the services and stationed up North in WWII.
Now you mostly hear soda or soda-pop otherwise it's by the name Coke for Coca-Cola Orange, Slice, Root Beer (or sometimes just Hires the best root beer brand) etc etc.

To me the real American spirit is *not "You are equal to me."
Rather it is "I am equal to you."

Deep huh?
aloha

#73915 06/25/02 09:06 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
seconding WOW here! I am just first generation American, and I was born in NYC, and like any home town gal, i do think i live the best place on earth! but i love traving in america, I liked Georgia, (but disliked Atlanta... of course it didn't hold a candle to NY,) but Georgia, out side of the Atlanta, Stone Mountain, the countryside, the kudzu, it was beautiful.. same in Texas.. hated Dallas, but took a day trip wandering the country side.. Even the weeds by the side of the road caught my eye-- such different weeds than the North East... and so pretty!

I liked Seattle, and SF, but for the most part, what i have like best is the country side. this is such a beautiful country--(right now, for me, Wyoming -- takes the prize for being the most beautful.. breathtakingly so!)

but my kids liked alabama, (i have never been there) my daughter brought home a bag of the red clay soil to show me... she thought it was so pretty.. as she said, even the dirt is dressed up in colored clothes!

Now i will admit, because the north east is a major media center, our dialect is one that makes it into the news and movies, and television.. As much as i love NY, I don't think any less of other parts of the this country..
(as for other countries.. well, Cork, is actually nicer than dublin, (but i shouldn't say that publicly, since my parents family has a 500 year histroy in dublin, and london is beautiful, Rome is so much like NY is so many ways (yes, i know that have 2000 year old ruins, but really, its just like NY only every speaks italian..)Paris is, Paris.
and i started this, i realize i like europian cities, but US countryside!

and while in some part of the US, you call all soda coke, and in other parts its pop, and still other places tonic will still work, our language difference are not divisive!

#73916 06/25/02 09:17 PM
D
addict
addict
D
really interesting to hear you yanks ( sorry dont know the distinctions) talking about your north south divide, pretty different to what i think of when i hear that phrase. in manchester we just call all soft drinks pop, and water is corporation pop, because you get it off the council. just throwing in my 'two cents' for what its worth.

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
byb: but I don't consider anything west of the Mississippi river to be part of the South.... Do you 'Bamians and other real Southerners agree with this? WO'N: the Texans who fought through Devil's Den and charged up Little Round Top at Gettysburg might take some dispute with that.

Very interesting. I'd have taken your view, byb -- but upon trying to confirm your view with a LIU, I found that Texas was part of the Confederacy (the "South") during our Civil War -- which I'd not recalled.

map at http://www.collectorsnet.com/cwtimes/states.htm

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, i was wondering when you'd next use Trick 1- a kind of switch and bait

why a casual reader might think you were having a conversation with BobYoungBalt or Whitman... but we know better don't we? neither one of them would give you the time of day.. but some casual readers, may not realize that.. so Out comes Trick 1, quote others extensively, to imply agreement-- and friendship.
wrong!
that fact is, we are on to your tricks.. you must realize, we know the games you play, and we are tired of them. we are tired of you.
you were banned, and forced your way back in.
Go away Keiva. You are not wanted here

W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: you are not welcome in AWADtalk.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith