About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#73900 06/23/02 02:41 PM
C
C
W'on, here's something you'll find amusing concerning the sale of coke in Alabama.

I took a new engineer to lunch in the big city of Selma a few months ago and along the way she spotted a sign that said "We Buy, Sale and Crack Pecans". Yes, 'Sale'. Anyway, she obvious skimmed over it quickly because she blurted out - "They advertise selling crack in Selma???" This is funnier knowing what a run down, drug-infested city Selma has become. I about had to pull over from laughing. I explained to her the sign (which is really quite a common sign in central Al) and all was well. She, by the way, was from Wisc by way of Erie, PA - places where I don't believe the cracking or 'saleing' of pecans is prevalent.

Milum - I live in Prattville, a city across I-65 from Wetumka. What were you doing in such a place?

#73901 06/23/02 02:43 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
a coke and gun store?
I din't know coke was legal in 'bama!
-WO'N

No Whit-o, the only thing we sniff in Alabama is snuff. I'm talking about the Real Thing, Georgia's gift to the world that taught the world to sing, the stuff you mix with your bourbon when the creek runs muddy - Coca Cola. We of the southern south once called all soft drinks "dope". Now we call all soft drinks "coke". We just can't seem to use that somewhat prissy yankee expression "soft drink", maybe in the next generation, after all we already say - "Hard Liquor"

No Whit-o, our coke in Alabama is as legal as the fine array of assault weapons that decorate the walls of the store in Wegufga.

Post addition: Chem, Andy was being nice and delivering a new stove to a widow woman schoolteacher whose stove went out and GE's servive to Wegufga is nonexistent. I went with him because I like to ride and drink and talk to people about the geology and history of rural Alabama. For example did you know that a highly eroded half mile meteor impact crater is can be discerned in Wetumpka. Once the impact was dated at 80,000,000 years before the present but recent studies have suggested that it was a detached piece of the meteor that killed the dinosaurs.

#73902 06/23/02 02:46 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
I din't know coke was legal in 'bama!

Shoot, fire, man, it was invented in Georgia, an' it rubs up 'gainst Milo's home state on the one side, and mine on t'other.

#73903 06/23/02 03:39 PM
C
C
The local fishwrap recently ran an article talking about how the business folks in Wee-tum-ka want to develop the area into a full blown tourist attractions with cable cars and the like. They're convinced that people will travel the country. It kills me that this is hot while the county can't seem to get enough revenue to keep sports/arts in the schools. Though I love politics, politicians/school board types in central Alabama are twisted to the point where I hardly pay attention anymore.

#73904 06/23/02 03:41 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Good Grief Geoff! The Washington's came to Alabama from South Carolina.
Good Golly Geoff, we could be cousins.
Good Great Luck Geoff, if we are...can you loan me five dollars?

Thank you,
Cousin Milo

#73905 06/23/02 03:42 PM
C
C
We just can't seem to use that somewhat prissy yankee expression "soft drink"

My aforementioned new engineer still says 'pop'. I was brought into the 'coke' speech not long after moving from Illinois.

As for prissy, I think that's a little harsh. Yankees just fashion themselves as being more 'enlightened' than us rednecks. They, like some on this board, feel as though the number of syllables one uses to describe something is a direct representation of their smarts. They thinks theys better than us!!

#73906 06/23/02 04:02 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Milum: Not everybody in New England confined themselves to hard cider. Rember Shay's Rebellion in about 1781, and the Whiskey Rebellion in Western Pennsyvanaia about ten years later?

#73907 06/23/02 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Shoot, fire, man, it was invented in Georgia

Absolutely, Geoff!...and it was none other than the "Georgia Peach" himself, baseball great Ty Cobb, who made himself rich after his playin' days with his early investments in Coca-Cola stock! And, BTW, the early Coke recipe did contain a smidgeon of cocaine in it, YCLIU...they made 'em take it out somewhere around the turn of the 20th Century. So you see, "soft drinks" with that jolt of caffeine, sugar rush, and once-upon-a-time cocaine aren't so soft after all!

#73908 06/23/02 04:50 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Rember Shay's Rebellion in about 1781, and the Whiskey Rebellion in Western Pennsyvanaia about ten years later?

Yesido Bill, That was back in the the days when all the people up north were southerners. Those were the good ole days, back before the yankees came over from...?
...Hey Andy what country did the yankees up north come from?
(Andy sez that yankees can from Finland).

Now take Chem for example, still a bit correct-spelling and upitty, but she's raising some good ole southern youn'uns and learning about proper behavior amongst menfolk. Give her a couple more years and she'll be one of the fairest flowers off the magnolia bush. Mark my word!

#73909 06/23/02 07:23 PM
G
old hand
old hand
G
.can you loan me five dollars?

Hey, cuz,

I got ten you can borrow, but you gotta go to the Bank of Hamburg, SC to cash it fer Yankee green, because that's where it was printed. Yep, I still got a genuine Confederate ten-spot. I wonder if it's actually worth anything?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith