Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#73384 07/03/02 03:19 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
slithy, you remind me of another strange pairing:

If Snoop Doggy Dog married Winnie-the-Pooh, would he then become Snoop Doggy Dog Pooh?

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73385 07/03/02 10:43 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear MG: Winnie the Pooh may be a Bear of little brain, but not so little as to
commit matrimony with a bitch, let alone a dog. No hyphen-hitch conceivable.
As the Frenchman said they are both inconceivable.

#73386 07/04/02 06:46 AM
L
L
This is not exactly or rather not at all about hyphenated names but I won't let such a tiny detail stop me:

In Poland, as in most of the various countries around the world, I presume, the proper way of introducing oneself by the whole legal name is:

[first|given] name, {last|sur}name

(forgive my programming-language-like notation). I'm not talking about directories but just about introductions or referring to somebody else, like I'm Lukasz Drejer, for example, and I don't like to and won't ever say it in reverse no, I don't mean rejerD zsukaL.

...but not in Hungary! Last names precede given names there even in the TV subtitles denoting the speaker's identity! Bela Bartok is known among his own countryfolk as Bartok Bela, Liszt Franz his company! For a Pole this looks/sounds strange, how's that for you?

Or maybe anybody heard about some other folk who do the same?

Lukasz

#73387 07/04/02 06:49 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Bill, speaking of conceiving........at lunch today with friends, we were joking about the most Canadian way to have a baby. The discussion began when a girlfriend of mine was saying she was so eager to find out whether or not she was pregnant, she went to the drugstore for a test kit, and then straight across the road into the Tim Horton's (Cdn donut shop, long since bought out by Wendy's so no longer Cdn, but originally begun by Cdn hockey player Tim Horton, funnily enough - vastly popular coffee spot for central-Canada Cdns, if not also for Easterners - not so evident in the west). I said that was about as Canadian as you could get about having a baby, and the only more-Canadian thing you could do would be to conceive same baby in a canoe....Someone else at the table said, "Or at a hockey game, between periods..." I said, "It would have to be between periods....!" (rimshot please!)

I crack myself up! what a great yolk...it was truly eggstrordinary. [full of myself-e]

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Last names precede given names

Very often in Asian countries. I believe that in China it is the custom to give the last ( family) name first in order, followed by the common name. ie Chang Liu in China would be Liu Chang in USA ...many Chinese who come to school in USA - for instance - have changed the way their names are presented on forms and cards so they are done the American way. Only time the names are really Chinese-correct is in lists alphabetized by last names.

For the Chinese Secret Police - if you are watching : No it's nobody I know, I don't even know if Liu is a Chinese name and I guessed at Chang ... it just looked and sounded right for purposes of illustration, here.

M
old hand
old hand
M
wow, your post and this part of this discussion remind/s me of The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon - Shonagon was the woman's first name. I am that anal-retentive that I have all my books in alphabetical order by author (but that's another story!), and I have that one under "Sei."

#73390 07/08/02 04:17 PM
D
addict
addict
D
my parents tried hard but i still ended up with SCM (scum to me mates) and my brother changed his perfectly acceptable name when he married, to Colley. Nothing wrong with Colley but now he signs his name E.Colley

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 709 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith