Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
#7313 10/11/00 08:37 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
. It seems odd because I do not see the same thing when talking to Europeans.[\green]

Perhaps it may be related to the fact that no nation-state in Europe has the name of the continent as part of the name of the state? The four-letter alternative for American seems to exclude anyone South of the Mason-Dixon line, if I recall correctly. As for "statesian", am I correct in thinking that the other North American country has the phrase "United States" in its official title? I seem to recall reading "Estados Unidos de Mexico" somewhere- perhaps those from the USA could be called "nocanamexicans". I just hope that this post doesn't trigger Echelon or Carnivore - I mean no offence!

#7314 10/12/00 01:05 PM
X
X
It's interesting to note that you do consider other countries as American. Generally, I have found United Statsians (I love that name) have adopted 'American' as their
own and that they do not readily share it with others.

I have always been extremely sensitive to the term 'Indian' when people mean 'Native American.' It frustrates me to no end that my husband works with Indians, real Indians, not Native Americans, becuase when I speak about the cultural differences to which he is constantly exposed, I find myself saying things like 'India Indians, not Native American Indians.'

I suppose United Statesians is the same thing. I don't worry so much about saying 'American' if I am speaking only to 'Americans,' but when my audience is as broad as this, there is need for clarification. There are two whole continents of 'Americans.' I just happen to live in perhaps the most egotistic nation among them. A nation who just by chance has America in its name. That certainly does not mean that this nation is the only one with claim to the term American.

#7315 10/12/00 01:34 PM
X
X
As for "statesian", am I correct in thinking that the other North American country
has the phrase "United States" in its official title? I seem to recall reading "Estados Unidos de Mexico"

I have always thought of the official title of Mexico as 'The Republic of Mexico.' but when I looked it up I was a bit confused by what I found. I looked at some English websites that refer to it as the Republic of Mexico. I also saw Spanish sites with the same. In addition to that I found some Spanish sites with 'Estados Unidos Mexicanos.' My highschool Spanish book refers to Mexico as Mexico and USA as Estados Unidos. As I recall, we always refered to USA as either EEUU or Estados Unidos in the classes.

On most of the Mexican websites, (spanish speaking) they refer to Mexico and Estados Unidos. Aparently even if the official title is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Mexican people think of 'us' as Estados Unidos and themselves as Mexicanos.

#7316 10/12/00 02:30 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
my audience is as broad as this

Who are you calling a broad?!

#7317 10/12/00 08:37 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
even if the official title is Estados Unidos Mexicanos

Thanks for clearing that up, Xara. Also, it's nice to find someone else who uses a phrase like "India Indians." My Dad was born 90 kilometres north of Delhi, and lived in Quetta for most of his childhood, so like you, I'm careful to use "Native American" - at least as much for clarity as for courtesy. I have a very English friend whose grandmother happens to be Lakota Sioux, and this friend would never call her Lakota family "Indian."

#7318 10/13/00 04:21 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

I'm careful to use "Native American" - at least as much for clarity as for courtesy.

Just wondering, how would you then differentiate between citizens of the US who were born there and those who were born elsewhere and later moved there without going into long involved explanations?

Bingley

Bingley
#7319 10/13/00 04:54 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Just wondering, how would you then differentiate between citizens of the US who were born there and those who were born elsewhere and later moved there without going into long involved explanations? [\green]

I suppose it's a atter of customary usage. As I understand it, "Native American" is, or at least can be, used for all the indigenous peoples of both Americas. For the truly pedantic , by "indigenous" I mean those who arrived on foot via the Bering Strait. Here in NZ the terms used most are "tangata whenua" - "people of the land", and "tangata tiriti", "people of the Treaty" - those who settled here after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.

#7320 10/13/00 06:09 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
We use the term Indigenous Peoples (Peuples Indigènes in French) for what United Statesians call Native Americans. Indigenous peoples are not encompassed by the borders set up by colonists of the "New World"; the land being one big mass whether Canada, U.S.A. Mexico, or South America. When asked about his nationality, a gentleman I know simply says Mohawk – not Canadian or Indigène.

#7321 10/13/00 07:28 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I have found United Statsians (I love that name) have adopted 'American' as their own and that they do not readily share it with others.

We take that title because it sounds so much nicer than United Statesian and we're the only country whose name actually has the word "America" in it. It would also be somewhat absurd to call ourselves "United States of Americans". Plus, every other country in the Americas seems to have short, concise names that. The United States of America isn't really that creative of a name anyway, and since there could be a United States anywhere, we use "Americans".

#7322 10/14/00 11:21 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
. It would also be somewhat absurd to call ourselves "United States of Americans".

Hey, Jazz - and this unaccustomed diffidence from the country that claims a World Series in which it's the only participant?

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith