Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#73016 06/17/02 02:49 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
math? You couldn't possibly be an authority on such an intelligent subject

Actually, sir, the book I cite was awarded to me in 1968, by the national society of actuaries (Mu Alpha Theta), for high placement©ö on their annual mathematics contest for high school students.

©öSecond in the State of Illinois. For your comparative reference, Illinois' current population is slightly over one-quarter that of England.

#73017 06/17/02 02:57 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Keiva: You are not welcome here.

#73018 06/17/02 06:16 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
It has been the contention of many secularists and theologians alike that religious fanatics are of a binary mindset. They can't think in any terms except Us vs. Them (If you're not with me, you're against me). While Boolean thinking is vital to current computers, new quantum computers utilizing more than two states (3 or more) are in the process of being conceived. Once a few technical glitches are out of the way, you can have 0, 1, 1/2 as choices, increasing the power manyfold. I have hope that the common acceptance of such a logic system will have great impact on the average person. That is, the normal person will learn that yes/no, us/them dichotomies is not the norm or even a valid way of thinking. This may improve our chances for understanding each other.

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.

Cheers,
Bryan

You are only wretched and unworthy if you choose to be.
#73019 06/17/02 08:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, of course there are many kinds of logic. However, whatever may become available in the future, right now search engines - the ones Alexis asked about - must and do use binary or Boolean logic. If any of them used fuzzy logic - which at some level or another does devolve to a binary approach in any case - I'm absolutely certain the site concerned would scream it from the rooftops as a way to get even more completely unrequired pages when you submit a search term.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#73020 06/18/02 12:08 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
going way back up the thread (cos I was away for a couple of days!) - hey Fiberbabe and of troy - I'm a knitter too!

I knew there were only two stiches (but what a lot you can do with those two stitches!), but I hadn't thought of them in these terms....Excellent!

Didja know knitting was purportedly "invented" by men? - sailors, I believe 'twas, making the leap from mending nets and using ropes an' stuff. I think. Or is this an urban legend too? (or, more appropriately, a high-seas legend. Damn. What's an adjective meaning "high seas"?)

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#73021 06/18/02 12:26 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear MG: Have you ever taken a close look at the pictures of the Venus of Willendorf? A lady very successful in women's fashions got interested in archaeology, and noticed something that many hundred
men had overlooked. They talked about the Venus having a fancy hairdo, but when the lady looked at it, she discovered that it was not an elaborate hairdo, but a cap. Looking at the cap after reading this, I suspect very strongly that it was of small knitted squared joined together. Take a look and see what you
think. I'll have to go looking for URL.

PS here is URL http://www.aeiou.at/aeiou.encyclop.data.image.v/v136200a.jpg

PPS This picture does not look so much like little squares as the one I remember, but does look like
knitting. What do you think? Incidentally the lady who noticed the cap, also detected that the original
had been covered by some sort of garment, which the men had not seen.

#73022 06/18/02 12:30 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Hmmm, Unca Bill. You could be right....Or it might be crochet? anyone know which art is older?

Are we SURE those ain't stylized curls? cos they sure seem to be stylized breasts....!

#73023 06/18/02 12:58 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The other thing about the Venus is that I doubt very much that it had anything
to do with fertility magic. I think she was a beloved and respected grandmother
to half the tribe, a matriarch revered because of her experience and wisdom.
She proves the existence of clothing as much as thirty thousand years ago.

#73024 06/18/02 01:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
uh oh, you'll be sorry! i love knitting.. there is a book, no idle hands, a history of knitting in americaon my shelf of course, ..but knitting is way older. knitted socks have been found in egyptions tombs. and there are indications is was old even then!

partly because of the level of sophistication..the heels were double knit, to make them stronger! many knitters never learn to double knit!.. and as Dr bill has pointed out, there are indications on very early carving so of knitted type garment/designs.

an knitter worth her pins (or needles!) knows, christ went to his death in a knitted robe.. the soldier cast lots for his robe, because it couldn't be rent.. you can tear apart a garment made from cloth, and have small peices for mending or patching.. but if you try to pull apart a knitted robe, it is ruined..

in the days before powerlooms, it was faster to knit a garment than to weave and so.. a crafter (a person with a skilled that was recognized, but not guilded) was known by his smock (a smocked gathered jacket made of cloth) but poor folk wore knitware.. it stretches, so its easy to size and fit, unlike sewn garments that had to be fitted.

irish fisherman sweaters (and greek ones too) were knit in distinctive patterns to help identify drowned fishermen, when there bodies were recovered.. (the face is often nibbled one, or worse but the wool is un appatizing to most fish i guess.)

if you want to continue this, we can move to "word from German" (when ever some one went way off words, the answer was move it to words from German-- it all the way at the bottom and it didn't bother most folks.. so if you want, copy and paste to a new thread down there!)

#73025 06/18/02 02:34 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
So, of troy, did you take a look at the piccie Bill provided? what do you think? knitted? crocheted? (though you say knitting is the older art by far) or simply stylized, very curly, hair?

or anyone else have a take on this?

(not sure I do want to move it into "words from German"! - but perhaps we could have a separate knitting thread?)

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 740 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith