Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#72968 06/15/02 12:29 AM
A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just reading a book about the transition in England from memory to written records (as one does), and came across quite an interesting point: in the 12C, to 'record' something meant to bear oral witness - not to write something down; spoken words were legally valid and often outweighed anything written down. By mid/late 12C, though, written records were rapidly beginning to supersede the spoken word as being legally valid in courts, etc - spoken words seriously declined in importance.

The book also raises interesting issues (although declines to answer them, saying they're another book entirely) about the perception that literacy is necessarily a requisite of progressive civilisation, which is the pervasive assumption in the West...

#72969 06/15/02 01:31 AM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
>>The book also raises interesting issues (although declines to answer them, saying they're another book entirely) about the perception that literacy is necessarily a requisite of progressive civilisation, which is the pervasive assumption in the West...>>

I can see where it could be another whole book entirely. The question is so provocative. Just defining what a "progressively civilized person" is would make a a most interesting thesis. I'd settle for a short essay. I'd love to read one right now especially.

#72970 06/15/02 01:36 AM
A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just defining what a "progressively civilized person" is would make a a most interesting thesis.

That's the question really, isn't it - what you're after in a 'civilisation'. If it's a good standard of living (different from, but not necessarily exclusive of, a high income), then I'm not sure that literacy makes any difference - although of course most members of this board would be forlorn without their written words, I imagine!

There's another question: would it be possible to be 'wordcrazy' () in a purely oral society?

#72971 06/15/02 03:41 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
would it be possible to be 'wordcrazy' in a purely oral society?

I don't know if this counts, quite, but here goes: did you know that there are poets who speak/perform their works, and I don't believe they write them down - because - they use sign language? There's a poetry to the way the hands move that is entirely different from the poetry we get with the use of beautiful, elegant or expressive words. Think the sign language poet is probably wordcrazy! or maybe signcrazy would be more apt....

#72972 06/15/02 04:23 AM
A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
did you know that there are poets who speak/perform their works, and I don't believe they write them down - because - they use sign language?

I've heard of poets, I think these were in the Balkans, who recite poetry much like the originators of the Iliad and Odyssey (let's not get into a bunfight over authorship here, though!) - so thousands of lines, with no written queues. I think that's quite incredible - but then, although not commonplace for Greeks and Romans, it wasn't a novelty for them. Many of the ancients would think that our bright students are terribly benighted for only speaking one, maybe two langauges, and many not having the first clue about rhetoric etc... which comes back to the idea of a (mostly) non-literate society and civilisation...

#72973 06/15/02 08:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I would imagine that while literacy and the use of written documents is not a prerequisite for "civiliation" or "progress", it would seem to be mandatory for the development, maintenance and consistency of complex systems - such as the legal system - over time. Interesting proposition, though!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#72974 06/15/02 01:05 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
I would imagine that while literacy and the use of written documents is not a prerequisite for "civiliation" or "progress", it would seem to be mandatory for the development, maintenance and consistency of complex systems - such as the legal system - over time. Interesting proposition, though!

Yes, CK, there is no denying that now but I'd like to go back for a visit (time machine needed here, of course) to the oral times of Homer and imagine this...Odysseus shooting the breeze with King Alcinous....

"As for me, I know nothing
So completely delightful as a land where people are filled
With good humor, and those that feast in the halls sit quietly
At tables covered with good things to eat and listen
To the songs of a poet, while the wine-bearer draws wine from the bowl
And fills the goblets of all. This seems to me
The finest thing in the world.

BOOK IX, The Odyssey of Homer

#72975 06/15/02 01:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in the America, only the Mayans had developed a full written language, but South America(Inca) and Mexico had civilizations. Some of their religious practices were awful by our standards, (human sacrifice was common) but they had cities, tax rolls, armies, hugh buildings projects organized by civil authorities, myths, religon... Civilization! Mexico had developed a wheel, but with no domesticated animals to use, they had not yet learn to put the wheel to work (ie, wheelbarrows)

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith