About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#72319 06/11/02 08:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You block players by screwing up the board in a way that screws them more than it screws you...

It sounds strangely familiar...

#72320 06/11/02 09:16 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
and musick has the talent to play a familiar tune if you hum just a few bars or is that FUBARs? for him.

#72321 06/11/02 10:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes musick, as Silk Muse points out in the post above yours, as with any other unregulated resource, there's always going to be someone who gets destructive and turns the technology to the disadvantage of others.

which sort of creates a case for a kind of tyrany-- either every must must knuckle under to the site administrator, (here's hoping they are fair) or every one will be forced knuckle's under to a bully.

for 2 years we've played word games here, too, and always the rule was, 'we don't need no stinkin' rules' and it was true. No admistrator, no rules, no problems that lasted more than a week, no problem that jackie or someone wasn't able to resolve, quietly, behind the scenes, almost. and many who, for a moment, glared and growled, and threatened, gave way to her wisdom, and some are close friends now. what a world it was!

maybe we need a bot of our own.

R
R
We used to play a version of Scrabble in which the players could reference a dictionary when it was NOT their turn. This encouraged learning new words, but it also encouraged participants to play faster since that meant less time for the next player to find a word in which to use his/her X and Q!

#72323 06/11/02 10:40 PM
S
S

A
addict
addict
A
I've heard about upwords, but have no idea what that one's about.

OOOOOOOOO, Upwords! My favorite game! This one is played similarly to Scrabble, but is a great equalizer for those vocabulary challenged folks! You use common words as your base like in Scrabble, crossing words here and there, earning points for each letter used. BUT, you can also build up on the words. For example: you have the word "dog" (which earns 6 points--2 points per letter when the word is one layer high). Next someone puts an "l" on the "d" and forms the word "log"(which now scores only 4 points--1 point per letter when the word is more than one layer). The next player puts an "r" on the "l" and an "f" in front of the word, which forms the word "frog". This is now worth 6 points again--6 letters in the stack of letters forming the word. To add to this, there may be another word that crosses and is affected by the changes, and you get the points for that word as well.

The main thing is, you need to use common, fairly short (5 letters or less) words, and build up! Very good for families when the kids are learning words. They have an equal chance of coming up with good words. I bought this one when my children were young, and we still love it today.

#72325 06/11/02 11:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
your post is a responce to mine.. is that because you post in a flat mode? or is it directed at me, and my response to Musick?

i resonded to musicks post, because i don't respond flat, but rather threaded. you seem to know your way around BB's, but i don't know who you think is being bellicose.(because i don't know what pattern you use to post-- that is somethin most of us try to make clear.

who starts a war (bellicose is warlike isn't it?) the person who fires the first shot? or the person who defends them selves? and how does one identify the first shot? how do you know a shot has been fired? where does any one draw the line in the sand and say, this is ok, but past here is war? My questions are mostly rhetorical, and i hope they open up a discussion. in another thread (caparthian i think,) some one mentioned the 1957 hungarian uprising.. were the hungarians bellicose? they did take to the streets, and attempt to overthrow the government.. and were resoundly crushed for their efforts..

just wondering.... a ways back, we had a thread on Indian history.. (but recent discussion i had with someone on Mary Queen of Scot will work, or my ongoing discussion i have with a friend on the Spanish inquisition would work..)

which history is to be believed? the English history of Indian Mutanies? or the Indian history of The First War for Independance (going i think up to the 4th war for independance, in the 1940's )

was poor Mary Queen of Scot murdered by her trecherous cousin Elizabeth? or was Elizabeth force to defend her self from Mary's trechery, and Mary's plot to over throw her?

as a Catholic, i was taught about Good Queen Isabela of Spain, who drove the Moors out(in the late 1400's) but the Sephardic Jew have a very different view of history, --first she robbed from them, then she expelled them, or executed them... I suspect they don't think of her as "good" and knowing more history, i have to question the history that was taught to me. Its very difficult for me to see Isabella as Good!
is tyrany now a banned word on this site? or is it that the word administrator is bellicose?

i have use the word you a number of times.. at no time is this directed at SilkMuse. (or is someone else has posted, the post on top of this) i replied flat, (that is i tacked this on to the last thing posted at the time i started.) but getting back to the word you, it is a rhetorical device. i have edited out about half of them, and i know if i start rewriting everything, i will make even more typos. i sometimes end up sounding strident, when i am going for empassioned! if i have slipped over to the strident side.. i will try again..

#72326 06/12/02 12:18 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
peace

#72327 06/12/02 01:36 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
SilkMuse: You got tubes, woman. I like the cut of your jib!

of_troy: Good for you - I can see that you are trying to be level, not inflammatory. Just....maybe not respond or bring up similarities between what's being posted and what's happened on the board?

ditto to musick.....

Just because....well....I am trying to take my cue from milum and Geoff, who....well, see my thread "Bliss" in I&A. That kinda sez what I think about wonderful milum and Geoff. We could all take a page or two from their books. And from SilkMuse's, methinks.

#72328 06/12/02 01:37 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
and from Bill....(credit where credit is due!)

and now this thread is about word games, yes? hmm....I'm pondering.....

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith