Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#71210 05/25/02 01:35 AM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
SHUN- from Old English,scunian, to keep away from, avoid scrupulously or consistantly.

i personaly shun disruptions on the board. i will not reply to directly to disruptive posts. i invite others to do the same.

to respond to a thread, that is started with the purpose and intent to start a flame war, it to start a flame war.

these threads will be deleted by the administator, once it is clear they are intended start a flame war. i will not waste my time posting there. i will not acknowledge the insult. i will not stoop to responding, or even acknowledgeing by name the offending party. such a party is not worthy of even being acknowledged as a person.
The post is offensive. such threads are not worth my consideration. I shun such threads. i invite you to do the same.

#71211 05/25/02 01:47 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#71212 05/25/02 03:32 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Add me to this list. This was my strategy in a couple of the disturbances we have had to endure. If most of us followed this, the disrupters would soon tire of talking to themselves.

#71213 05/25/02 03:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Goes without saying.
That one can (and would) intentionally, and disingenuously, cripple what was once a lovely group dynamic and, in the process, individually hurt so many, is an egregious affront that I've seen nowhere else.
All attempts at reasoning have failed. So I too will turn my back on the pariah.

#71214 05/25/02 11:44 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Add me to the list too. I've been avoiding making any comments on any of the "flame" threads for a long time. Maybe I just like avoiding controversy, I don't know, but my credo has been "Ignore it and maybe it will go away." Hasn't worked so far, but I suppose it's better than getting embroiled in the endless arguments.

#71215 05/25/02 01:46 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Ah, Helen. The burning torch of wisdom you carry shines a bright light on the beauty human reason holds over emotive instinct. [beaming]

#71216 05/25/02 03:13 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
As with Byb, I have followed this policy for a long while - I heartily endorse of troy's words of wisdom. My name is also on the list.

#71217 05/25/02 04:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The main point of contention between the Amish and the Anabaptists involved the exercise of Meidung, which translates as to shun or excommunicate. The Anabaptist faith maintains that only the pure should be involved in religion; if any member were to fall into sinful action, he should be excommunicated and shunned. The latter custom is based on the discipline of fellow believers as described in Matthew 18:15-17:

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and tell him alone...But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more...And if he shall neglect to hear them, then tell it onto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican.

A non-conforming member would be ostracized; the community of believers would terminate all contact with him. Amman took this practice one step further and required the spouse of a person under the ban to neither sleep nor eat with them, until the heretic repented and changed his behavior or beliefs. Additionally, he advocated shunning all members that leave the Amish church and those who marry outsiders. He also mandated that no Amish should buy from, sell to, or even eat at the same table as the excommunicated individual. These traditions, passed down from generation to generation, have kept the Amish way of life stable.

from The "Plain Folk": The Amish and Mennonites

http://www.amishinfo.com/amish/amishinfo.html#meidung

#71218 05/25/02 04:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
in this time before the shunning
let us reflect on those who've left
perhaps they'll look again one day
it's for them, for them we do this....

---

today's crusade.. shades of meaning

escape, avoid, evade, elude, shun, eschew mean to get away or keep away from something. escape stresses the fact of getting away or being passed by not necessarily through effort or by conscious intent <nothing escapes her sharp eyes>. avoid stresses forethought and caution in keeping clear of danger or difficulty <try to avoid past errors>. evade implies adroitness, ingenuity, or lack of scruple in escaping or avoiding <evaded the question by changing the subject>. elude implies a slippery or baffling quality in the person or thing that escapes <what she sees in him eludes me>. shun often implies an avoiding as a matter of habitual practice or policy and may imply repugnance or abhorrence <you have shunned your responsibilities>. eschew implies an avoiding or abstaining from as unwise or distasteful <a playwright who eschews melodrama>.

(C) 1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

()

#71219 05/26/02 09:53 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
My name is also on the list.

Well, if there's a list, add my name to it. I can't believe this is all happening again. I'm saddened. Of troy's idea is what I've been trying to do anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith