Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#70881 05/24/02 05:33 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Food thread alert:

In Sardinia, you can buy pizzette (little pizzas, literally, but practically, two rectangular pieces put cheese side together, with waxed paper wrapped around the bottom for a handl) on the street. Yum yum. I don't know if it's a national thing.

My experience with pizza in Italy has been that the art is in putting just enough stuff on to taste good, not 12 million toppings as they do in North America. So people who love "loaded" pizzas are disappointed by Italian pizzas. And people who love delicate, thin crust pizzas which don't suffer structural problems because of the toppings just love 'em!

#70882 05/24/02 05:36 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
and in Toronto, the Michel's Baguette chain sells pizzelles!

#70883 05/24/02 06:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My Whack-a-Doodle Idea (WDI) is that pizza comes from pita, the original pizzas being middle Eastern pita spiced up by Roman soldiers. No tomato sauce, of course.

#70884 05/25/02 12:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Juan,and Faldage, I never ate pizza in Pisa, but I had some Roman Pizza in Rome. It was a nice crust with a dredging of tomato sauce and more garlic on one slice than I had eaten up to that point in my life. Once my mouth got over the shock, I loved it. Kept strangers and other pests a half a block from me for days, too. Would have gone well with a nice Chianti, but alas, I was only fourteen.

#70885 05/25/02 02:30 AM
old hand
old hand
> Is it all right to call Ozzies "Australians"?

Finally, ww, an answer.

Yep.

One thing but, the average Auszie has trouble saying it. Tends to come out as "o-stray-yun" (short o as in clock). We have a similar problem with "millionaire"......comes out as "m-oo-yon-air".

> I think bikkie, chockie, footy, and dunny are twee"

You're missing the point behind the whole essence of the Auszie dialect. If a word is short, we lengthen it. If it's long, we shorten it. Both rules obey a higher rule - wherever possible, we put a vowel at the end of a word. This is especially prominent with names..

Martin becomes "Marto" if it's a surname, "Marty" if it's a first name.

Gilchrist becomes "Gilly".

My son Tim is "Timmy", "Timmo" or "Timbo".

My other son, Adam, is Ad or Addie.

It may sound twee, but I assure you that's not the intent. Strine is a very lazy dialect - we take whatever shortcuts are available and tend to ignore punctuation, hence jamming our words together. By adding a trailing vowel it becomes easier to run words together. Furthermore, it means that ones lips, tongue and palate don't have to work too hard during the speech process.

Years ago a popular brand of insect repellant exploited this by developing a "pseudo-word" that's still in use today. The tag to their advert was, "Remember the Aerogard - and avagoodwegend". As a further example whilst on an insect theme, we also say "mozzie" (mossie?) for mosquito and "blowie" for blow-fly (or blow fish - ie puffer fish - the scourge of the Swan River!).

stales

#70886 05/25/02 10:33 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Stales,

Thanks very much for the lesson in Australian dialect-making! My ear has been consequently improved and I've seen the light. Don't feel comfortable enough (yet) to take at stab at it, but at least I'll receive it in the spirit intended.

Best regards,
WW

#70887 05/25/02 04:09 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
My Whack-a-Doodle Idea (WDI) is that pizza comes from pita,

I agree. Take half a piece pita place in hot frying pan. heat on both sides till crispy. Load up with sliced fresh tomato, shredded cheese ... whatever... lower heat, when cheese melts EAT!

It works on a grill outdoors and also using a broiler or toaster oven. Versatile!
yoummy.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith