Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#70758 05/21/02 10:06 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Are there any words or phrases you regularly hear yourself using in your everyday speech that you wish you could weed out?

I catch myself using the following ones too often and wish I could successfully get rid of 'em:

particularly
especially
inordinantly
goofball
knucklehead
Munchkins (gotta stop using that!)
_______________Land (I name all kinds of concepts Something-or-Other-Land: TechnoLand, La-La-Land, ElementaryLand, and so on. I'm sick of hearing myself do so.)
pristine
crytalline
ethereal
orchestral
(and I'll bet my friends are sick of me talking about orchestral this and that, too!)

...and a lot of others that just keep me from thinking.

Do you have words and phrases you'd like to kick out for a while so some others could work their way into your EverydaySpeechLand? (See how stupid that sounds!? And it is!)

Bugaboo regards,
WW

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Whenever I visit the Merrimack Valley or spend time with folks from that area, I come, ya know, back with, ya know, this habit, ya know, which ya know drives me nuts even as I hear myself, ya know, say it.
I root it out of my speech as fast as I can, ya know.
dam!

Other words that acreep into my converasation more than I'd like are:
Perfectly!
Absolutely
I know (I suddenlty realize I sound like Mrs. Fawlty!)

#70760 05/22/02 12:40 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

J
old hand
old hand
J
Ever since I excised "a lot" from my personal lexicon I'm always using "quite a few" or "many" and they often don't sound quite right. In writing papers I notice that I use "rather", "seems" and "quite" quite a bit. I also use "interesting" or "intriguing" frequently and I need something new.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
WW, I'll trade you your inordinantly for an astonishing

M
old hand
old hand
M
Then I'll trade for five of your astonishings for ten of my overworked exclamations son-of-a-bitch!. - -

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Who wants my 'amazing'? (Please!)(That's no word, that's my life...)

G
old hand
old hand
G
Who wants my 'amazing'? (Please!)(That's no word, that's my life...)

No problem, Jackie; we'll just start calling you Grace.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Many many years ago, my family moved to a small town in northern Virginia. And they even took me with them!

Anyway, the rural mail deliverer was a fellow named Elmer Maley. He punctuated every sentence with the word "bolly", and it was several years before I got up the nerve to ask someone what bolly meant. It was Elmer's shortening of the phrase "by golly." I've never forgotten it, and someday Elmer, thinly disguised, will appear as a character in my novel about the Tarleton Tavern. May never get it published, but writing it sure is fun.

TEd
H
addict
addict
H
In conversation, when I agree with someone, I almost always say "Fair enough," enough so that people I work with sometimes say it along with me when they see me winding up for it.

I have weaned myself from its use a bit, but I'd not mind being a mite less predictable in what I'm going to say.

And for many years, "amaaaazing" was how I described anything positive - drove me nuts, but I couldn't stop - I think I used up my allotted quota of word-usages for that one, however, because I rarely say it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith