Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#69204 05/08/02 09:21 AM
A
alexis Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Being relatively new to that wonderful machine, the bureaucracy, it still shocks and appals me that people can seriously use the word diarise! Just wondering whether anyone else wanted to get new words they hate off their chest... especially if it's bureaucratese... The other I hate is "action" as a verb, although maybe that's actually legit. Why can't people just say 'I'll do something about that'?

alexis

#69205 05/08/02 09:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
diarise

The way you spell it makes it look like it means to rise through or across something.

Meanwhilst, you've just got to take a proactive approach to things like this, al.

#69206 05/08/02 12:33 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
My guess, alexis, is that you are using diarise to mean writing in a diary. Us USn's would spell it diarize. Which causes me to wonder: why are we inconsistent with advertise?

#69207 05/08/02 12:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
RE: Being relatively new to that wonderful machine, the bureaucracy

Have you learned the bureaucrate's prayer yet?

When in wonder
or in doubt,
run in circles
and scream and shout.

and as bad as it may seem, think about this.. our cosmic stories, about the big dipper, (Ursa major) or Orion, the hunter, or Leo the lion, come to us full of natural life..animals, hunters, woman with urns, carrying water...

in China, the constalation we know as the big dipper is seen as a gaint cart, filled with bureaucrates, and trailing after them, the long scrolls, of tax records.. bureaucratesy is so old in China, is part of the cosmology!

#69208 05/08/02 01:51 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
As a person of tolerance I prefer to think of the bureacracies among us as self-perpetuating social filters that slow the injudicous actions of the impetuous.
Certain obtuse wordings are necessary for the self-perpetuation.

Now, Alexis, if you will stop teasing and get off your...(please excuse me I almost said "diarise")...duffer, and tell me what "diarise" means, I will action the word immediately. - -

#69209 05/08/02 02:09 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
When I hear diari(z/s)e, I think of making a notation in my diary/agenda/calendar/scheduler for a future date, to remind me to do something then. I've always loved the term tickler system to describe this system (in law school, they kept telling us to make sure we had a good tickler system in place, so as not to miss limitation periods, for example). I guess tickling or ticklering something just sounds too frivolous for the big bad world of business, but I like it!

#69210 05/08/02 02:12 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
tell me what "diarise" means, I will action the word immediately

Just agendise(ize) it for the next attitude session (you can search for the definition below).

if you want to see some really scary words, just look here: http://www.cocs.com/jhoagland/terms.html

Here's a few examples for non-link-follower types (hello Jackie).

Something makes me think that some people would prefer this information not to be so easily available, clearly Michigan has some very scary people:

Amafight: (verb)
More than a disagreement, this is a fight between two people over any subject regarding building an Amway business. Some distributors believe these fights are actually good for married couples.

"stinking thinking": (noun)
The derogatory name for a distributor's "condition" when he makes negative comments about life or the Amway business.

"stinking thinking loser": (noun)
The derogatory name for a person who has "stinking thinking" and who has quit the Amway business. After all, distributors claim, only "winners" build the business.

#69211 05/08/02 11:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If we could diarise blue we'd all look Scandinavian.

Or is this what Prince Charles said after his bride bowed low before him?

TEd
#69212 05/09/02 09:28 AM
P
P
When I first heard the word "diarise" many years ago I had that uncomfortable, priggish feeling that one gets when lazy abusers of language make up ugly constructs. But over time I have slipped right into using it because I can't remember what we used to say before! "I'll make an entry of that in my diary"? Please, who has the time?

For the same reason people use "action" as a verb; it takes half the time to say. I haven't yet succumbed to that usage but past experience shows that I will eventually lose my sniffy attitude and fall in with the mainstream. I just don't have much staying power as a zealot. (sigh)

#69213 05/09/02 10:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Phyllis, welcome back! <grin> I don't think the word that started this thread is likely to come in vogue in the U.S. in the near future; here, a diary is a private journal, for writing one's thoughts in. What we put our appointments in, we call a calendar, generally, although I believe some brand names may be substituted, esp. for electronic calendars: "I'll put it in my Palm Pilot". Our usual expression is, "I'll put it on my calendar". Is that what you used to say before the new term became so common that it drove the correct one out of memory? (Hello, all you fans of 'orientated' for oriented'!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith