Page 2 of 2 1 2
#68768 05/06/02 12:43 AM
G
Geoff Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
G
I'm wondering about the exact tone you heard, Geoff--it would have been good to have heard it--and, since I
don't watch television, me hears no commericials!

So, aside from your obvius mental acumen, we have to add TV abstinence to your list of virtues? Damn! Yer makin' evrybody else look bad! Well, if you want to hear it, see if your library has Sony CD #SK62276, Karl Jenkins, London Philharmonic, Diamond Music.

#68769 05/06/02 01:46 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The mind is a mysterious thing. I don't think this is the term you're looking for, Sweet Geoff, but out of nowhere this term suddenly came into my mind--and then I had to go to ten music-term dictionaries before I found the meaning!
Col legno A direction to string players to use the wood of the bow

#68770 05/06/02 02:29 PM
J
J
Col legno is probably not what you're hearing. The wood of the bow technique is usually a bouncing motion, heard most recognizably in Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique.

In most groups i've been in, a term like SCHEECHICATTO is probably what would have been used (for its highly descriptive quality). I've never played with a high-level orchestra though, so that may be a function of the less professional players and conductors I've encountered.

Most good conductors/educators don't get caught up in the language (especially when language is a barrier) so they used whatever word is most descriptive.

#68771 05/06/02 09:07 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's another response from a Maestronetter:

Can you give an example of a piece which uses it? If I understand what you're referring to, I think I remember a passage (several) that uses it in Polonaise by Wieniawski. It's détaché (forget about spicatto, it would never compare) and extra raspiness is acheived on the G string, close to the bridge. It's often accompanied by KTCHUH sounds on the attack by the bow, right?

I don't think it's col legno either because the wood on string, which is a very cool effect, isn't scratchy or harsh as Geoff described. It's whispery and somewhat metallic in effect--col legno, that is.

Geoff, I'll check out that recording.

Bow regards,
WordWolf wolf tones are a great topic of discussion among musicians and fiddle makers

#68772 05/06/02 09:11 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just struck gold on Maestronet. Here's a post from one of the members there that includes a url for bowing terms. Should be fun to read through:

I have found a URL with a list of definitions for the various bowing techniques.

http://www.bright.net/~hhelser/terms.html

I think the one you are refering to is

SUL PONTICELLO = Bowing is down near the bridge and creates a glassy sounding tone.

My teacher has described this type of bowing to me in one of our lessons. The tone is more of a whistle than a screech so I could be wrong, but maybe one of the others is what you are looking for.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,347
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 818 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,548
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith