Carpal Tunnel
M

#68193 05/02/02 11:04 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Does the butcher's shop get an accent?

No. Normally the second-last vowel of a word is stressed in Italian. That's the case for macelleria, too.

There are lots of words where this doesn't apply, though. In these words, the accent is often included in the spelling of the word: university = università, down = giù, coffee = caffé. Dictionaries have different ways of indicating which syllable gets the accent in Italian. I think that wherever Faldage found it might have been the sort of dictionary which indicates accented syllable with an accent above the stressed vowel. (My dictionary does this too, and it is confusing. My textbook, on the other hand, puts a dot under the stressed vowel when it's not the expected one, so you don't get it confused with an accent that's not supposed to be there!)

Anyway, I looked it up in my dictionary, no accent.

#68194 05/02/02 01:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You n me's got different dictionaries, Bean. I know in Spanish, e.g., carnicería, the i looks like it might be the penultimate syllable but an i followed by another vowel is normally just a glide and without the accent over the í it would be pronounced [car ni CER ya] (or [car ni ÞER ya], if you're speaking Old World Spanish); the accent indicates that the í gets full value of its own and thus *does become the penultimate syllable. I do not know if the same is true in Italian.

A quick look at the appropriate section of my dictionary and a check of an example indicates that, while the accents, both grave and acute, are used in normal writing of Italian, they are also used in the Italian to English section to indicate unexpected stress, even if they are not so used in the word itself. In the English to Italian section they seem to be used only as written in Italian. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find macelleria in the English to Italian section, neither under butcher anything nor meat anything.

#68195 05/02/02 01:52 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
With the Italian stress rule a syllable is equivalent to a vowel (and surrounding, but unexciting, consonants). I'm quite sure there is no accent there, dictionaries aside - it doesn't need one because the stress is where it's expected, on the second-last vowel. The use of accents is limited to situations where the stress is in an unexpected place, and even then, they aren't always used. Approximate pronunciation is "mah-cel-le-REE-ah"

Edit: Sorry, that should be "mah-chel-le-REE-ah". I missed the English "ch" because in Italian c followed by e automatically makes that sound.

#68196 05/02/02 02:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well macelleria is not the word i was thinking of any way... it might have been a pork store.. since both the italian and german neighborhoods had pork stores as well as butchers.. (and the italian ones had ravioli stores, too, that just sold stuffed pasta of every sort, but mostly ravioli's!)
We also had dairy stores, that sold all kinds of cheese, milk, butter and dairy foods, no meats, and appatizing shops oh they were the best..
big barrels of pickles, and olives, bin after bin of dried fruits and nuts, whole spices, tea, coffee, and ready made salads, cole slaw, potato, macaroni, garden, fruit, egg, and something similar to scotch eggs, hard boiled eggs, wrapped in meat, then dipped in bread crumbs, and deep fried-- you could get them hot or cold.. and chopped chichen liver pate and anchovies.. fresh made cottage cheese, farmers cheese and cream cheese, pickled fish, and smoked fish, and all sorts of wonderful foods..

deli's (delicatesians) sold some of the same stuff, but more cold cuts of meats and cheeses-- and they sold ready to eat food, sandwiches to go, (very few foods in appatizing shops were "take out lunches" and if you bought a salad, they didn't stock plastic forks, they way deli's did)

Most of these small shops are gone now, and the deli section in the grocery only has a small selection compared to what used to be available.

and all these stores came in different stripes! you could find italian one, or german ones, or kosher ones.. and each had a different selection! (well, there weren't any kosher pork stores, but everything else!) Bakeries too, Italian bakers and jewish bakers made the best bread, but german and french bakeries made the best cakes, we like a jewish style cheese cake, not italian, and we all disliked italian pasties, but loved ruggala,--but if you wanted a danish, or some pie, off to sutters, the french bakery.. and the best crumb cakes came from the german bakeries!

now days, the best fish stores in ny are chinese, an the best fruit and vegetable stores are korean, and all the dinners are greek, but the street venders are all mid eastern, selling falafals, and other mid eastern foods.

#68197 05/02/02 02:10 PM
S
S

#68198 05/02/02 02:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yeah-- i'll have to go into hidding.. its been a while since i did such an obvious food post... the gutter police were long ago corrupted, and now days anything goes... except food posts!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (A C Bowden, wofahulicodoc), 1,258 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith