stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I am wondering whether anyone can assist with a long-standing
etymological puzzle.

In the Presidential election of 1884, the Democrats teased the
Republican candidate, James G. Blaine ("The Plumed Knight"), about the
contemporary version of Watergate involving payoffs, railroad bonds and letters he asked to
be burned. The Democrats jeered "Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine/ The Continental
liar from the State of Maine". I have consulted every Blaine
biography written (an amazing 10+), as well as the usual guides and
anthologies.

Not a single one offers any explanation.

My view has always looked to the xenophobia of the period, associating
anything from Europe ("the Continent") as inherently suspect and not
worthy of belief. One of my amateur historian friends looks to our
Revolutionary days, when the debased currency made worthless items
synonymous with a Continental dollar. A professor of American history
at a local college suggested that Blaine's opponents called his lies as
big as the North American continent.

Any clues?

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's something from American Heritage I found on OneLook Dictionary.com:

ADJECTIVE: 1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a continent. 2. often Continental Of or relating to the mainland of Europe; European. 3. Continental Of or relating to the American colonies during and immediately after the American Revolution. 4. Used as an intensive: “Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine,/The continental liar from the state of Maine.” (Grover Cleveland).

Intense, huh?

Book regards,
Wordwatcher

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
So how does all this translate in to a buffet table loaded with muffins, croissants (in yer ritzier places), toasts, buns as assorted bread products, being called a "continental" breakfast? I've always wondered.

------------------------------------------------
Oh, and welcome on Board RMWSQFT Stay for a while, I'm sure you'll have fun.

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Nope. No new ideas, other than to say that what Wordwind has turned up sounds right... but what would I know about Blaine from the state of Maine. I'm an Aussie, and I'm just here to say: WELCOME RMWSQFT! Great question! Thanks for asking.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Continental has also been used to denote "smooth". Seems like it could be used this way in this context. Just my $1.98's worth.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Not only did Blaine come from Maine, way up in the far corner of the nation, but his home town was Mars Hill, a tiny place in the far northeren reaches of the state. I have always felt that the Continental liar jingle was meant to suggest that this hick from the sticks had so overreached himself that he thereby sullied his party's reputation throughout the land, i.e. over the entire continent.

Let me add my welcome, RMWSQFT.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I am reasonably sure "continental" was an all-purpose pejorative based on the proverbial worthlessness of it as currency.

I think "continental breakfast" refers to custom abroad of having charge for meals included in price of staying at European hotel, in contrast the "American plan" under which meals and rooms were billed separately. So a "continental" breakfast was not likely to be very filling.

M
old hand
old hand
M
"Blaine, Blaine, James G. Blaine/ The Continental
liar from the State of Maine"
- Grover Cleveland

Dear RMWSQFT, The Atomica dictionary agrees with the professor that the use of Continental as an intensive is valid. Atomica even cites your example as their example.

By-the-way, am I you? My initials are R.M.W and I often respond to singles ads in magazines as S.Q.F.T.

-RMW

- -

POSTSCRIPT: - - I can't win. By the time I fool around and get ready to help RMW with his question, WW, four yankees and two furiners have stolen my thunder. GEE!WIZ!!!!!

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Milum, they always say that the main personality doesn't know of the existence of the other personalities. Ooops, unless you are one of the other personalities.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A hearty welcome, RMWSQFT! An intriguing debut post! You should be right at home, here, with our band of Merry Wordsters! Make yourself comfortable...pull up a seat!

of course, not worth a continental became a favorite American (US) idiom for being worthless. This from the April 2002 Explore magazine\, MY Word! section:

Not Worth...

by Dr. Gerald D. Sullivan

When one reaches into a linguistic bag of idioms to find an appropriate way of describing utter worthlessness, he will find a heaping handful of colorful expressions available.

During the War of Independence, American revolutionists were faced with numerous serious problems besides defeating the English in combat. The First Continental Congress had no monetary system in place or even authority to levy taxes. Out of desperation, Congress ordered paper bills of credit to be printed. The people called these notes Continentals. The value of this paper currency deflated until even a large bill had little worth. Thus the expression "not worth a continental" came about. Perhaps the expression not worth the paper it’s written on came into play about the same time.

The idiom not worth a rap has nothing to do with knocking on wood. Near the beginning of the eighteenth century there was a shortage of copper in Ireland. A not-too-bright band of counterfeiters flooded the country with bogus half-pence coins made of cheaper metals. The common people called these raps. Since the original coin had so little value, the counterfeit rap was absolutely worthless. Being not worth a plugged nickel has a similar origin, since a plugged nickel was also a counterfeit coin.

In ancient Rome, when soldiers were sent to foreign lands, they were given their pay plus an allowance to buy salt. Salt was considered an essential element in their diet and was often quite expensive. This stipend was called a salarium, literally meaning salt money. Of course the English word salary came from this source. To not be worth one’s salt means that a person has failed to earn his pay.

At one time it was common for minimally skilled repairmen called tinkers to travel from town to town making their living mending household utensils. When repairing a hole in a metal pan, the tinker would often build a small clay barrier around the hole to keep the solder in place. Afterwards he would throw the clay dam away. Some etymologists doubt whether not worth a tinkers dam came from this procedure and instead attribute it to the tinkers habit of swearing.

And oh yes, those crude menders of pots and pans did give their name to the expression tinkering around.

MY WORD!

The Only WO'N!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith