Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Since we are all enjoying this lovely thread, I thought I would give it another chance.

Well, this thread is ready to go on out to sea, and I've found a lovely ocean word I don't believe we have here:

spendrift

It's defined in Random House Word Menu:

spray swept by wind from waves during storm at sea...

and then an equally lovely term is given as a synonym:

spoondrift

...I can go to sleep on those two words, stormy though they may be. What do you call a word that sounds as though its one thing (e.g., spendrift and spoondrift sound laidback and easy), but is actually quite something else? Spoondrift just doesn't sound stormy at all to my ear.

Beach regards,
WordWave

WW has found two lovely words to add to our ocean-going interest. Is there a word that describes spendrift on a lake or on the beach?

#67481 04/27/02 04:00 AM
M
M
Is there a word that describes spendrift on a lake or on the beach?
languorous ... latin lady.

#67482 04/27/02 05:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I once coined windrift as the heading for a gossip/tidbit column in a shore resort entertainment weekly here, and a couple of years later a motel was named the Windrift...and it's still there.

The Only WO'N!

#67483 04/27/02 12:40 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The old curmudeon teases: Why is everybody so spendthrift with typos in header?

And how did "spendthrift" come to mean someone careless with money?

#67484 04/27/02 12:47 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Bill,

I'll take a stab at spendthrift and carelessness with money.

Let's say you're trying to be prudent, and you have this piggybank where you save your money for a rainy day. You try to be thrifty. But, being weak and careless, you spend what you saved. You'd be spending your thriftiness. You'd spend your thrift. You'd be a spendthrift.

Best that I can do,
Wordwonderer

#67485 04/27/02 12:53 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
And how did "spendthrift" come to mean someone careless with money?

We've dealt with this before, albeit briefly :-)

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board= wordplay&Number=39907&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post39907

(left in this form to avoid broadening the thread - but can be reconstituted by cut-and-paste-ing)

#67486 04/27/02 01:06 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: But a "spendthrift" would have any savings to spend.Another tease, you are spenthrift with typos today.

Dear wofahulicodoc: I searched for "spendthrift" and got only today's uses.

#67487 04/27/02 01:20 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bill -

Is it possible you had the time limits ("data range") on your search set too narrowly? I located the URL with a search of "newer than 1 year."

DM

#67488 04/27/02 01:39 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear wofahulicodoc: I try to be careful about that, but I must have goofed this time. Sorry about that.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
OOOPS, I forgot to leave a message over on the Coriolis Thread that it had been continued in this thread. These responses are too interesting to let the software gobble up, so I am pasting them here.

Subject Re: Sinusoidal tides
Posted by dxb (journeyman)
Posted on Mon Apr 29 11:25:56 2002

Dear faldage,

High Tides along the south coast of the UK:

This is all strictly non-technical and whether it will assist you in universal understanding I hesitate to predict! I don't think it helped me much - knowledge is one thing, understanding another.

What I am told and what I read do not seem to agree. An amateur yachtsman has assured me, I think mistakenly, that the high tide along the south coast moves from west to east. The Atlantic high tide he tells me swells back around both sides of Ireland and around the north of Scotland, moving up the channel and down the North Sea (would this form a sort of mælstrom where they meet, I wonder?). When I look at tide tables for south coast ports, however, my interpretation is that the tide moves east to west along the Channel coast. I think I prefer to trust the tide tables and to avoid cruising on my friend’s yacht!

It seems from the tables that there is a high tide approximately every 12 hours 20 minutes. The double tide effect at Poole Harbour causes a secondary peak that occurs about 4 hours after the main high tide. I don't know why it occurs, perhaps Bean can explain; it is generally lower than the main peak, but there appears to be variation in this, I guess depending on where you are in the spring/neap tide cycle. A similar effect is seen at Southampton due I believe to the Isle of Wight and the two arms of the Solent, but there the two peaks are mostly about the same height with a drop of only a few inches between them, so this has the effect of lengthening the duration of high water – obviously very desirable for a port. Again this effect seems more or less marked depending, I guess, on the spring/neap cycle.

Where I have given conclusions rather than facts above they are based on my deductions arrived at from looking at the tide tables so could well be completely erroneous!

Two interesting links:

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/easytide.html
http://www.alia.ie/sailing/tides.html

dxb

Posted by Bean (addict)
Posted on Mon Apr 29 12:32:31 2002

This has been very interesting indeed! From a glance at the dimensions of Poole Harbour, I would at first guess that the situation is much, much more complicated than first appears.

I Googled "double tides" and got this great link for a place in Scotland, which at least states that it's due to the what we call the bottom topography (which is what I suspected all along): http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow31.htm

I think to get a good, definitive answer to your question may take some hunting in research papers. Perhaps someone's done a model of the water level and currents in Poole Harbour for a thesis or something. Indeed, from the bit I've read in my book (an introductory oceanography book with merely a single chapter on tides) it would be quite complicated! And from looking at the map, with two sets of narrows and Brownsea island in the middle - I'd say it must be quite complicated - no simple rectangular box for this model!

Edit: Oh! Oh! I've found something great, and not technical! Try http://www.weston.org.uk/tides.htm. (I am reading it right now, haven't finished it yet. Just wanted to post in case you were still on Board!)

Posted by Bean (addict)
Posted on Mon Apr 29 13:08:03 2002

OK, dxb, here you go. Online, I found a reference to a book:

Author = Officer, Charles B.
Title = Physical Oceanography of Estuaries (and Associated Coastal Waters)
Publisher = John Wiley & Sons
Year = 1976
Pages = 465
ISBN = 0-471-65278-4

Apparently, it has a chapter which has a section dealing with tides at Solent, etc. So there you go! In a free moment maybe you or I will pick it up from a university library and have a gander at it!

For those of you that are new to the board, the software allows for more than 99 responses to a post, but just try and retrieve them at a later date! You will find yourself in some other thread, in some other time and the responses will be crying in the woods, wishing they hadn't used breadcrumbs to mark their way!

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,340
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 646 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith