Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#66511 04/20/02 11:40 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I just tried to check out some words on the Scrabble site ( http://www. hasbroscrabble.com ) that AnnaS provided us with a while back, but, guess what? I couldn't enter any word longer that eight letters! The search engine, function, whatever you call it, only let me enter "cabbagewo" for cabbageworm, and then informed me "cabbagewo" was not a word, which I knew, for crying out loud.

So, what gives? Is there a way to bypass the 9-letter limit--or do the makers of Scrabble think 9 letters should be the maximum number of letters displayed in the game? Don't think so unless that's a rule I've forgotten--and here I've been dreaming of sesquepedalian words to put on that board for years.

Thanks for whatever insight, suggestions, and direction you may provide,
Wordworm

#66512 04/20/02 01:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, the way we always played scrabble, you always had 7 tiles (unless it was close to the end of the game.) you played #, and took the same # more to add to your rack. since you build your word on another word, unless you crossed two words, the longest possible word was 8 letters long.

long ago, i made a small bag out of oxford cloth, with a draw string top. instead of painsakingly turn each tile over, we would finish the game by gently folding the board, an directing all the tiles into the bag.. then shake the bag. to play, just reach in and grab.

#66513 04/20/02 01:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeahbutİ

you could, for instance, have something like this:

OR

stolen by FOR

stolen by FORM

stolen by PERFORM

stolen by PERFORMANCE

stolen by NONPERFORMANCE(S)

how many squares are there across a scrabble board? i should think this would be the only limit to a word's length.

Okay, i'm going to let you all in on one of my *VERY* coolest secret sites. check this out ~

http://boulter.com/scrabble/html/left.html

(makes online scrabble a breeze ~ so don't spread the word around or i won't be champion anymore )

#66514 04/20/02 01:32 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear caradea,

Playing across the whole board, one word, would be the ultimate dream--make the connections between words there--wow!

And that's why I was very surprised I couldn't enter more than a 9-letter word into the search function (or whatever you call those search whatevers). Made no sense--unless I missed a direction or something.

Befuddled regards,
WW

#66515 04/20/02 02:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it's just a natural extension of what you find in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionaryİ; that is, nothing longer than eight(8) letters. "Words that exceed eight letters in length and are not inflected forms of words entered in this dictionary should be looked up in a desk dictionary such as Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary."

(the recommendation should not surprise; G & C Merriam publishes both dictionaries. : )

()

#66516 04/20/02 02:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Thanks, tsuw...

Breathing with relief,
WW

#66517 04/20/02 05:56 PM
L
L
how many squares are there across a scrabble board? i should think this would be the only limit to a word's length.

Depends on your rules, the latest Disney commercial I've seen has a family playing scrabble and the youngest is allowed to go any direction she wants, plays supercalifragilisticexpialadocious (yes, I know it's spelled wrong it won't go through the spell checker, my third grade teacher would be so sad. I had to write that word thousands of times for punishment in that class, he probably thought it was the only thing I learned from him, and I didn't.)

#66518 04/22/02 03:42 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
long ago, i made a small bag out of oxford cloth, with a draw string top. instead of painsakingly turn each tile over, we would finish the game by gently folding the board, an directing all the tiles into the bag.. then shake the bag. to play, just reach in and grab.

[This may be a bit of a generalization, but...] Most Canadians who have Scrabble boards keep their tiles in a Crown Royal bag, a purple felt drawstring bag with gold trim and a gold drawstring, and of course "Crown Royal" embroidered on it. I don't know if Crown Royal (Canadian whisky) is available in the US, and it's harder and harder to find a bottle with the felt drawstring bag these days - I still don't have one for my Scrabble board - it's relatively new, bought when I moved out of my parents' house - but my mom has one for hers!

#66519 04/22/02 03:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, i know USer who do the same.. but my ex came from a much more conservative family, and he didn't want any evidence we ever drank..

not that we ever much got drunk.. the one memorable time was one of my sisters weddings.. ex ordered a drink, and my cousin was next to him. my cousin ordered a beer.. but every time he ordered himself an other beer, he said "and one for my friend jim too, " not being a dancer or even one to socialize, he ended up stinking drunk! (we had planned ahead, and i hadn't had any thing to drink)

His parents were baby sitting, and when we went to pick them up, Jim, expressed he felt sick, and went to lie down. his mother was a nurse, and was concerned. she had never seen him drunk before, and didn't even realize he was drunk! it was a memorable occation!

#66520 04/22/02 09:02 PM
old hand
old hand
Oh, yeah - Crown Royal is available in the US.

Completely non-word-related story: I knew someone who worked at a liquor store, and he was kind enough to save the bags for me when they sent orders out to large-scale clients (hotels, bars, etc). I cut the drawstring casing and the bag bottom off of each of them, slit them up the back, and sewed a whole bunch of the resulting rectangles together into yardage. Consequently, I have a bomber-style jacket made entirely of Crown Royal bags.

I got so many compliments and comments about it, I decided to design a whole line of clothing (never mind that the flannel used to produce these bags is *very* low quality - nowhere near garment quality). So I did the best watercolors of my life in rendering these designs... pajamas, strapless evening gown, smoking jacket, I don't remember what all else. I did my research about who in the company was in charge of their advertising campaigns, and sent them off to him. I made many many follow-up calls, but nothing ultimately came of it. I had sent a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the original sketches, but I never got them back. I did the Quiz Show trick of mailing copies to myself, but they're just B&W xeroxes, pale imitations of the originals, and they're in a sealed envelope in a safety deposit box! At least I kept my interests protected in the event that they liked the idea and weren't willing to pay me for it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith