Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#66009 04/18/02 09:05 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Hope this one hasn't been discussed...I'm in a bit of a hurry and wanted to post this before going to school. I was talking to a friend about the southern hemisphere, of which I know nothing, and mentioned the old factoid about the water in the toilets moving in the opposite direction of the water in the northern hemisphere. So, I googled something like "toilet Southern hemisphere" and found a lot of information on the Coriolis Effect. The effect can't occur over small areas, e.g., toilet bowls, but my question is what are the applications of where the effect actually does occur? Are there tornadoes in the southern hemisphere? Here's one pasting of something read last night:

Fred W. Decker, professor emeritus of oceanic and atmospheric science at Oregon State University notes, however, that the Coriolis effect may actually have little to do with the behavior of real-world sinks and tubs...

Just wondering,
Rub-a-DubDub

#66010 04/18/02 12:57 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Dunno if it's YART or not, but I have more info than you'll EVER need on this one!

Tornadoes and other such things (like ocean circulation) rotate one way in the NH (= oceanographer-ese for Northenr Hemisphere) and t'other way in the SH. Easy weather application: Wind blows counterclockwsie around a low pressure system in the NH.

Take any weather map showing pressure contour lines, and look at it. A good first estimate of wind velocity and direction can be made by looking at the contour lines. The wind blows ALONG the contour lines (direction determined by whether you have a high or low pressure system) and the strength can be estimated by how close the contour lines are closer together (PM me for a formula if you REALLY want to know!). If the lines are very close together, you have a strong wind - farther apart, a weaker wind. Try it - find yourself a contour map of the atmospheric pressure in your part of the US right now and figure out which way the wind "should" be blowing (remember, CCW around low pressure and thus CW around high pressure) and then check the weather report to see if you're right! (There are other factors involved, especially geographic things like hills, mountains, etc., so it doesn't always work out perfectly.)

Any SH readers should turn that around - it would be CW around a low-pressure system, and CCW around a high-pressure system. Anyway, like I said, ocean circulation follows the same sorts of rules. In oceanography (and presumably atmospheric science) we use "cyclonic" (= low-pressure in the centre) and "anticyclonic" (= high-pressure in the centre) to remove the hemispherical ambiguity. That is, if you know your physics, you can always figure out the actual direction if someone says "cyclone in the NH" for example.

I like the quote in my oceanography book "However, the observer in the southern hemisphere is upside-down relative to the observer in the norther hemisphere and he calls the motion anticlockwise...It is a matter of point of view."

#66011 04/18/02 02:02 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
my oceanography book "However, the observer in the southern hemisphere is upside-down relative to the observer in the norther hemisphere and he calls the motion anticlockwise...It is a matter of point of view."

Hah!! so sucks to you, Max, CapK, stales, and all the others who claim that we are at the bottom of the world, not they - it's in a book, so it must be true!

#66012 04/18/02 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
so sucks to you, Max, CapK, stales, and all the others

Not to mention that even tornadoes are small scale when viewed from the consideration of the Coriolis Effect.

#66013 04/18/02 07:12 PM
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

#66014 04/18/02 07:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If there was any doubt

#66015 04/18/02 08:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Went to a party with old Coriolis and the outcome was that while I didn't drink anything I came out feeling dizzy. He has that effect on people. I think I was dizzy anti-clockwise. But then the old blowhard was always something of a spin doctor!

Heard tell of the Roaring Forties? Nice nightclub in rain-sodden downtown Okarito, population -2. Never really stops. Kinda blows you away, it really does.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#66016 04/18/02 08:23 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I'd like to apologize for posting "Coriolus Effect" on Q&A, but I didn't know where else to post it.

I'm trying to understand the meaning of the term, so I figured Q&A would be the place. Didn't think Miscellany would be it since it's not about coining or anything like that.

And it shurr didn't seem to be a place for Wordplay.

Without anywhere else to go, I figured, "To understand correct applications of the said effect, pose the question on Q&A."

Not meaning to rock the boat, clockwise or otherwise,
WordWind

#66017 04/19/02 11:52 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
No worries my dear WordWind, we will make it into a word post yet!

I have some favourite oceanography words which I've collected over the last couple of years. Just to be mean I will post them without definitions for now (I am supposed to be working after all) and you guys can all discuss them!

Advect (or advection)
Bathymetry
Drogue
Eddy
Fetch
Seiche
Sill
Swell
Thermocline
Turbid (or turbidity)
Vorticity
Doldrums
Fjord

TTFN!

#66018 04/19/02 12:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Another great ocean word, oft misunderstood, is (tada!):

Ground

And some others:

Surges
Tidal Waves
tsunami
Edited out the "s" and replaced with "n"--thanks, Faldage!
Riptide
Ebbtide
Surf
Tide pools
Undertow

Beached regards,
WordWave

PS: How do you spell "tsusami"? Can't figure it out. tsunami
...got it, Faldage!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith