Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#65945 04/18/02 01:04 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I am suggesting a thread governed by a house rule such as “Read but don’t post if experienced {x} or above”, and with a headline something along these lines: “Newcomer, wanting to post?”

Or we could petition Anu to make a new section of the board (he did it for Weekly Themes) called something like "Greetings" with the subtitle "New here? Make yourself known." It could possibly also become the home of the Birthday and Away for a while threads, where we post things concerning friendly dynamics. It would be similar to I&A, but not so formal.

Just a thought . . .

#65946 04/18/02 01:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooh, I love all you people!! <GRIN>

#65947 04/18/02 03:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why Anu, JazzO? Why not petition that newly-minted demi-goddess, JAT (Jackie the Administratrix)? One thing's for sure, you'll at least get an answer, even if it's only a wet fish in the face! Get out your lederhosen, plusfours and solar topee and try!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#65948 04/18/02 03:11 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
a new section of the board (...) called something like "Greetings

Great refinement, Jazzo. See, when we put our heads together it doesn't have to result in bruises...

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The single best strategy I tried when coming on board Sept. 30, 2001 (oh, little did I know...) was to begin going back through the archives and reading old threads, particularly the ones written at the inception of the board. What was interesting was how some there wrote with decidedly pretentious tones of voice that they have, since then, toned down. And, on the other hand, there was one member, who is still posting, who wrote with a sortof timid tone of voice, but who is now (and I will not name this person) a voice of great confidence and power. That was a terrific labor of love for me (searching the archives) and well worth the effort.

The second strategy that has helped a lot is contacting posters by PM to ask what the heck they're talking about. To a person, I always get clear answers and a decided willingness from them to let me know what's going on with jokes, references, you name it, that have been mentioned in a thread.

The third action, though not a strategy, that's been helpful has been when an experienced member has contacted me by PM to set me straight on something I'd assumed incorrectly that experience on the board would have steered me in a correct direction.

But we don't remember everything, do we? We all forget things that have been written. For instance, Bill, I don't think anyone ever answered you about what that calendar was called--regimental? Some kind of calendar that had been discussed way back when?

From one who's been out of the loop so long she just enjoys watching it spin around,
Wordwonderer

#65950 04/18/02 09:06 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Thanks, tsuwm and CapK for your words of wisdom. Also to ewein and mav for their suggestion and development, respectively, of the idea of a "safe area" for new entrants.

At first glance I, too, thought, "What a good idea." But I also see questions that need to be asked. The "regulation" (ugh!) of such an area would have to be self-imposed, as has everything else been, on this board. That being so, is there not a risk that some people will splash around in the shallow end for ever, never "graduating?"

Does this matter?

Is the idea of "graduation" frightening to some people? More frightening than coming in with the big* boys and girls?

How do we stop board members from posting in the reception area, even though they are "long-time graduates?"

Would the provision of two separate "areas" cause just the sort of division that we have steadfastly worked repudiated these past two years?

I am not against the idea, and certainly all in favour of the intention behind it - but these are my thoughts.

*(These analogies are not intended to be offensive - I've just realised that some might read them so: please accept my assurances that they are meant purely as illumination, not as derogatory comment!)

#65951 04/18/02 10:50 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> two separate "areas" cause [..] division

I doubt that will happen. With Jackie's support [holding hand e] I think everyone will stumble into I&A pretty quickly. I agree with Jazzo too - the newbies deserve their own rubric.

Our magisterium?
'Honourable disagreement' should be in there someone, right?
I think all members should have a right to govern themselves here according to their own will. But individuals must be obliged to subordinate their will to the reason of the majority. And if, believing oneself above this, one then attempts to govern others, one thus enslaves oneself and the Board as a whole.

sdt@rousseau.fr

#65952 04/18/02 11:51 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Thank you, tsuwm, for starting a thread which demonstrates to one and all what AWADTalk was like and is supposed to be like. And, I am confident, will continue to be like once we get over the current unpleasantness and sort out a few things.

A few quick observations, which is all I have time for in a busy period.

ewein, the "titles" which we have don't mean diddly-squat. Anu can't change or get rid of them, for reasons I don't understand, but it's a fact they are built into the structure of the site and can't be changed. We all discovered this a long time ago and many jokes have been made about them. Don't be insulted by what you may (for the moment) be called -- it won't last long, if you write posts.

The suggestions and improved suggestions for a thread or area for new members has merit, but let's all take note of slithytove's plea -- there is much behind it, which has been alluded to and I think we are aware of it.

Lastly, let's remember that this is a site which some of us treasure more than lots of people would believe. For at least one of our members it's a window to a world greatly circumscribed by physical limitations, and I suspect there are others that we have never heard from because they don't post.

In short, I don't believe there are any of the sometimes-maligned old timers group who is not willing, nay eager, to extend a welcoming hand to a new member. We all, old and new, comprise a most honourable company, and the more the merrier. But (here come the caution) the company can't be maintained the way we have come to love it without some self-restraint and organizational guidelines which we have worked out, slowly and carefully, over time and for which there are suggestions which have been duly noted in this discussion. Some new members think these aren't necessary, but, as has been demonstrated lately, a company without some self-discipline and self-regulation becomes a mob. 'nuff said.

#65953 04/18/02 12:12 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
- and thank you, Byb, for an exposition of what we are, what are our aspirations and how we should conduct ourselves.
I don't believe it can be bettered.

#65954 04/18/02 01:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
separating the "newbies"

A suggested mechanism for this idea (if possible with a technical approach; I wouldn't expect voluntary guidelines to work):

A) Limit posting to the forum to those who have not yet attained some predetermined level, say member.

2) Anyone who may post to that forum may also post anywhere else.

Þ) Anyone who is still uncomfortable posting outside that forum after attaining member level would probably not make it on this board anyway.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,368
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 715 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith