Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#65935 04/17/02 08:37 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
thanks Cap, I thought there was a point in there somewhere..

-ron (two sheds) shabby

#65936 04/17/02 09:01 PM
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Still considering myself a greenhorn-neophyte-novice-tyro, or whatever, I will just say thanks for the wisdom expressed in this thread. Please don't make me sit with the new kids.

slithy

#65937 04/17/02 09:12 PM
E
E

#65938 04/17/02 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reply to:

I was looking for a way to get to know new board members more

you could always try the way the rest of us did it: time.

it works wonders, heals allwell, most anyhow wounds, and it's free for the taking.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=37225

#65939 04/17/02 09:49 PM
R
R

......the inside jokes everybody has, the ongoing relationships, the abbreviations about old board members....

We've all been in this situation and not just on this board - first day at school, going to Brownies, joining a new club, evenings out with two friends who've just got it together - whatever/wherever - and we always get through it. As Caradea said, it just takes time. The inside jokes etc are part of what makes a club or a group of friends special - they give it character. If we hang around for long enough we suddenly realise that we're a part of those jokes and we feel we belong.

Also, as someone else said, the titles are irrelevant and actually misleading. I've been around here for something like 18 months - I just don't post very often. According to the titles I'm still a journeyman. But that doesn't mean I'm not party to the jokes, don't know who's here and don't get upset and irate when it all starts going to pot occasionally.

At the beginning I didn't post half the time 'cause I thought my offerings would be blown out of the water. Then I came to realise that all offerings on the subject of language would be considered, discussed (and occasionally rejected) no matter who you were. Nowadays, time constraints permitting I post a bit more!

As with most things, there's rarely a shortcut. The only option is to stick around and learn to live with/love the foibles.

#65940 04/17/02 09:49 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
looking for a way to get to know new board members more

ewein, I've only been on this Board since January -- relatively speaking, a short time. I suffered adjustment difficulties (in retrospect, very minor ones) - I even tried to change the Yet Another Rehashed Thread terminology (hey guys, what happened to Read About This At?) which was an obvious (ha ha) flop! Yes, there are "in jokes" here, and things that you won't understand about what's going on because of tenure. The best way I've learnt about people is by observing what goes on here - and for the most part, I like what I see.

I consider myself a relatively 'new' person, but I would hate to be segregated, because some of the people I now consider 'friends' here are those old pharts (hee hee ... I'm only game to use this word because one of them used it the other day).

It's not possible to have an environment where you prevent the ongoing relationships... I know, I worked with someone who tried once and it backfired. My friend and I had known each other for 8 years, and ended up working together. This woman tried to make my friend and I stop talking about the things we had in common, which was almost impossible since we had so many mutual friends / experiences. Our response was to withdraw from social interaction with this woman because we were trying to protect the friendship we had. Sorry that I seem to be telling stories here, but my point is that it's difficult to force group interaction in a way it doesn't want to go. It's not possible to stop the "oldies" (sorry y'all ... don't have time to come up with a better terminology) having their inside jokes. At the same time, the "oldies" aren't *trying* to exclude people, they are just going on with their normal way of doing things.

No one wants this place to be exclusive -- we'd all get bored after a while if there wasn't new input.

It's great to have new input. Hopefully, one day you'll be an "oldie" too!

#65941 04/17/02 09:54 PM
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>Yet Another Rehashed Thread terminology

dammit hev, if you're going to disparage it, at least learn the *correct terminology! (T=Topic)

I don't think anyone has yet to rehash a nentire thread!?

-joe (when is a rant not a rant?) bfstplk

#65942 04/17/02 10:36 PM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
dammit hev, if you're going to disparage it, at least learn the *correct terminology! (T=Topic)

Bugger!

#65943 04/17/02 11:33 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Ditto to the above (not the "curmudgeon and new chicky post immediately above mine" but the posts talking about the time it takes.

I remember feeling exactly the same way when I joined. You don't always know what people are referring to but after you've been here for a while you'll be referring to stuff that new members won't know either. Such is life.

And believe it or not, when things are going well on Board, this happens so quickly. These are good people. Sit, talk, stay for a while - you are welcome.

#65944 04/18/02 12:28 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Well said, everyone. This is the board I know and love.

IMHO tho, we should not be quite so quick to diss Lizzy’s idea of a “paddling pool” thread. Sure, it would be regrettable if anyone sought to overly manage the mixing of old lags and new prisoners – but there is no reason why we can’t take on board this concern voiced by a few newcomers, to add an *extra chance of newcomers successfully integrating into the group.

I am suggesting a thread governed by a house rule such as “Read but don’t post if experienced {x} or above”, and with a headline something along these lines: “Newcomer, wanting to post?” It could perhaps have a short para from Jackie to overtly welcome newcomers, inviting new posts and pointing out where to find additional information. Old Pharts could still greet newbies by pm, and try to help them find their way around without knocking over the furniture unduly, whilst also making them feel valued and respected as new members! I think the effect of this could be to aid the transition of some newcomers into confident membership of the group over time, by minimizing the concerns over tangling with a complex and exclusive-seeming metalanguage – and this (certainly hope I speak for all in this! ) is a highly desirable objective in the long-term life and vitality of the board. So thanks for the idea, Lizzy – I definitely think it’s worth its weight.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith