About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#65043 04/16/02 01:02 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
not exactly; begging the question is more like circular reasoning - assuming the truth
of the conclusion of an argument as one of the premises employed in an effort to
demonstrate its truth.

()

#65044 04/16/02 01:39 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I have a vague memory (as most of them are. these days!) that this was discussed about a year ago, and that it was established that "begging", in this context, was an archaic word for "avoiding."

So, in begging the question, you *avoid asking a question which ought to be addressed and then take your answer to it as given, when constructing an argument for or against something or other, trying to leave others with no choice but to accept your premisses.

(a device beloved of politicians!)

#65045 04/16/02 03:34 PM
E
E

#65046 04/16/02 04:18 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Belligerentyouth is anything but in his posts
Come now, Vernon. I don't see any need to get into a discussion of b-youth's posts, but surely ewein's description -- albeit one with which you are free to disagree -- is not an unreasonable assessment.

And I do not see that ewein whine[d] about her [Jackie's] appointment; she just stated politely but clearly her disagreement with a particular post. Surely you are not so sensitive as to think that merely disagreeing with you constitutes pathetic petulance?

#65047 04/16/02 05:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
People may or may not have noticed that I've been staying out of this up until now. I'm posting at this juncture simply to clear up a few misconceptions - or at least what appear to be misconceptions from my perspective - and to make a plea.

First, the implication that the old-timers, and I guess that has to include me, wish to keep the Board to ourselves and to not "admit" any new members to the "club" is just plain wrong. wwh will be the first to agree, I'm sure, that there aren't enough people posting here about words. We welcome new blood and despite statements to the contrary, we always have.

But, as has been noted above, it is above all a forum about words. Yes, it wanders off the point from time to time, but until recently it has always found its way back to language readily enough. Anything else generally gets taken off the Board and into emails and PMs. Quite a number of irregular posters here are in constant contact with various members via email. The number of regular posters is probably about a third of those who, directly or indirectly, are in touch with it. And others come and go, popping in and posting a few messages before moving on to other things.

Although I don't want to state it as strongly as Of Troy has done, I agree with her that there are online fora for chatting and for virtually any other topic you could think of. Like most of us "old-timers", I'm a member of several of them. Most of those of us who have been around for some time come here for words and wordplay - and some friendship. Without wanting to be at all critical, if you don't want that then as Helen has said look around at other fora. There's probably one tailored to just what you need.

Finally - and this is the plea - doesn't everybody think that it's time this stupid flame war stopped? No one wins but everyone loses. No matter how clever or direct your insult or well-argued your point, you won't convince anyone that you're right and they're wrong, so apart from having vented a little personal spleen and spread some venom around, what's the point?

I've just about got to the point where I can't be bothered with it, and I'm spending more and more of my online time elsewhere. And that's a shame, because this place was fun. If it doesn't stop then I predict that there will be one of two outcomes. Either Anu will pull the plug - I probably would have by now if I were him - or the Board will become moderated.

I don't see either outcome as desirable, do you?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#65048 04/16/02 05:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
We need the likes of you on this board.

...and the real person he is, from the board.

What is really *needed is less people defining who "we are", tellin us what *we need, and a lot less people making inexperienced assumptions.

Those b'youthiful posts were as appropriate as all the others *there. A little long perhaps, but no less ridiculous.

IMHO, of course.

That doesn't *mean I don't enjoy the likes of ModGod's words on the board, does it?

ewein states:

I hesitate to offer anything about myself after the debunker post.

Yet you go right ahead and do so. I have a question for you:

Why do you feel propelled to post about "it" and "we" anyway, and why would you do so here, in a post titled "set it all aside"?

VernonCompton - Good to see you're still wandering in this abyss.

ModGod - I may live in shytown, but I'm most things but shy.

Edit - Thanks, CapK.

#65049 04/16/02 07:15 PM
E
E

#65050 04/16/02 08:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lizzy-- getting personal now here-- don't!

Unless you are not interested in words! and then do!

Stay here for words, and check with some of the gals... those food post.. they have gone 1) underground, 2) to food sites!

and if you don't care about food.. well -- i bet someone here knows i site about something you are interested in..
and i bet, what ever your interest, there is jargon, or what ever you want to call it.. about your interests.. and maybe even some of those words are interesting-- to all of us!-- so bring them here!

#65051 04/16/02 08:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
?

(for me, "you people" is a seriously polarizing term.... but forgive me, I digress into words and connotations )

#65052 04/16/02 09:00 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Dear AnnaStrophe, your last was hilarious!
[Hey, you and I can disagree on a lot, but lady, when you are right, you're right.] Well said.

Edit: May I challenge you to a competition (which I'm sure I'll lose) to see who can start the most word-threads this week?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 220 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith