About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#64597 04/10/02 06:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
re: Bottom line: Wordapalooza SHOULD NOT be an exclusive event.

why not? i haven't made it a secret that i've met faldage and AnnaS, Rubrick, and Jo(common in there because, F & A are couple, but R & J are not!)

Jackie, connie and others have arranged meeting, CK has met many who post here, both in public setting and as guests, in there house.

Ann has taken the lead in the wordapalooza (a name us dyslexics hate, its so hard to type too!) It is her party.She planned it, she is hosting it. she has spoken about it publicly, but it is still a private party.

i don't see any nastyness in her letter, it was curt, and to the point. but i know i have on the recieving end of nasty posts, and at this point i deal with in 2 ways. i don't reply directly to anything the person says, and i don't open or read PM's from them.

i don't make my issues public, i don't complain of nastiness. i try and behave as i want to be treated.

please, reread the letter from ann. please point out when and where she is nasty. Kieva might not have liked the message, but its not a nasty message. whats more-- kieva complains in the plural. I am adult; i do what i do. Ann is an adult; she, too, act for herself. i don't know who is being blamed.. but its pretty unpleasant to see blame , assigned to a group, with no evidence of the group even existing!
if its just being broadcast to everyone here, well i am one of the people here, and i didn't like being blamed, even if only in general, rather than specifically.

#64598 04/10/02 06:04 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Wow (not wow!) - I AM confused.....Okay, but I think I have it now. Ann is Sparteye and ASp is Annastrophic, and it is Ann's home we are discussing, yes?

I will defend to the death any person's right to close his/her home to people that he/she does not want there. I myself have gone through times when I decided my little apartment would be testosterone-free for awhile....It depends on the person and the person's "vibes" that they bring into your beloved space. I notice Keiva also respects this.

However (let me say it one more time, apparently I have been stuttering): Let Sparteye invite whomever she wishes, to STAY WITH HER - but let us have Wordapalooza on neutral territory somewhere, where everyone may show up who wishes to.

I would love for the venue to shift to Kingston (because then I could attend for sure!) - and I know exactly where I'd hold it, assuming I could book the place: the Springer Lounge at the Grand Theatre, which is upstairs (but still wheelchair acessible by elevator, I hasten to point out, just in case?) and is small enough to provide an intimate environment, but large enough to easily and comfortably accommodate 100 people. There's a bar so we could have a cash bar, and each month the art show on the walls changes. We could do pot-luck or have it catered. We could decorate or leave it at the art.

Something like that. I'm sure there must be a similar space in Lansing? and that, for the sake of amity, we would all be happy to kick in a little something towards the rental thereof? (the Springer Lounge is between $50 and $100 Canadian - with the exchange rate the way it is at the moment, that's between $25 and $50 for US'ns).

My attempt at a solution.

#64599 04/10/02 06:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In reply to:

Wordapalooza has been made open to everyone on this board.... ASp does not feel comfortable including Keiva in the word-o-rama...Wordapalooza SHOULD NOT be an exclusive event...but we can all meet somewhere where we can mingle as freely or constrainedly as we choose

whoa there, nelly ~ maybe i see where the problem exists, here. i think there's some *terrible confusion regarding the gathering in Ann's home, and perhaps it should've been cleared up sooner.

the WaP idea originated in June of last year, before we had experienced any of the ugliness on the Board. i feel comfortable speaking of this because i was one of the originators of the idea, which grew in wonderful ways. the "open invitation" went out way back then, because at that point in time we all got along. we are talking about an event in someone's *home, a gathering of friends. surely even keiva isn't thick enough not to realize that at this point there is simply too much water under the bridge for his presence not to cause problems. as ann stated in her letter, it's terribly sad that things have come to this, but they have. nobody wants to travel thousands of miles to be greeted by controversy. ann has every right ~ as is the right of any hostess ~ to tailor her guest list. to suggest otherwise would be ridiculous. further, i personally would *not feel comfortable attending *any overnight event with an "open public invitation". i have to much in 'real life' at stake ~ i know and trust each and every one of attendees, and would not otherwise attend. i don't think i'm the only one that feels this way, either.

to this end, i sympathize and agree with some of what has been said here ~ i can see where the confusion may be, and as such i think that this private gathering and discussions of same should not take place on the board. i'm not suggesting censorship, here... just common courtesy.

mg ~ i see much of myself in you... i pulled many of the same stunts when i joined the board, and was admonished by AnnaStrophic (among others). folks around here appreciate intellect, wit, kindness and consideration... and that's the only way into the hearts and good graces of this group that i can ever see being successful . oh, and FWIW, i'd be honored to have ASp (and even her crotchety mate ) in my own home anytime.

i think your idea of a simultaneous (or otherwise) public gathering is a terrific one ~ have fun with it, and send a pic or two for the gallery. and hey ~ stick around for another year, contribute consistently to the board in the Spirit it was Intended, and look forward to an invitation to WaPII next year .

#64600 04/10/02 06:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, i will be glad to attend a second or even a third gathering.. but one night? Rhu is coming from UK, as is CK, and others from California, and while canada is a quick drive for me, closer even than MI, i don't relish going up to Montereal and back in a single day.

so accommadation has to be considered. as do schedules. school, family vacation, work-- some like Jazzo, a university student, can't really just take off any time he chooses he might miss end terms! and paying for university? i bet he needs to think about a summer job, too.

And Rhu and CK, need to plan ahead to get the cheapest air fares.. since money, no matter how much you have, is always a concern. and most of us have rug rats of various ages, or other family members who have a first priortiy on our time.

and yes, you are coming into this at the end, and you don't have all the information.. witness, you have't figured out who is who--entirely. but it hasn't stopped you from expressing some very strong opinions.

now i expression opinions (strong and not so strong) all the time with out having all the facts, but it a risky thing to do. but don't trust me to give you all the information, i am biased.. (after all, i am perfect and do no wrong, so all nastiness direct at me, was totally out of place! Oh i wish!)

#64601 04/10/02 06:20 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Ahhhh. Wordapalooza is a PRIVATE event.

Then, as caradea suggested, it SHOULD NOT be discussed publicly on the board. Yet, it has been.

How to go back?

Perhaps everyone should just IGNORE THIS THREAD. Then Sparteye should PM those she wishes to invite - and that group of people can correspond by PM, and not tease the rest of us with what is, apparently, the jolly get-together of an exclusive clique.

Meanwhile: Does anyone WANT to come to Kingston for a gathering? Like I said before, I myself can't offer to put people up (except, of course, for my harem, and Angel, who is going to research said harem with me ) - but there are many, many places to stay in Kingston, most very close together, many on the water, many pleasing B&Bs, and as previously mentioned, the exchange rate is shockingly in favour of almost anyone who chose to show up (how did the Cdn dollar get so low, how?!). Kingston's a pretty town and there's plenty to see and do. Could be great fun!

So is there interest Out There On The Board for a truly inclusive gathering? in Kingston, I mean? (cos I wouldn't be organizing it anywhere else!) Have a look on a map of North America - we is at the eastern-most end of Lake Ontario (easternmost of the Great Lakes), at the confluence of three waterways: Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence River, and the Rideau Canal. We're just a two-hour drive from Ottawa, the nation's capital - you could pop on up there after Openpalooza and have a look around!

Anyone?

#64602 04/10/02 06:23 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Helen, your post provides a useful place to respond to faldage's demand that I identify instances of (non-keiva-directed) nastiness. One is reluctant to point fingers. But since you uniquely had the good grace to apologize for the incident in which you were involved, I trust that one (the one involving goldibear) may be the one least painful to mention.

You'll recall that the current version reflects your wise toning down of the original, more incendiary comments.

Milum will doubtless recall an incident (not involving you, Helen) in which he was excoriated, very early in his tenure.

Faldage, if you wish further examples or detail you and I can communicate by PM or e-mail.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=43600
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=announcements&Number=43670

#64603 04/10/02 06:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wordapalooza...SHOULD NOT be discussed publicly on the board. Yet, it has been.

Well, acksherly (and not to pick nits or anything) if you do a search on "Wordapalooza" mentions over the past month(excluding this thread, of course) you'll find that all but one from wow were written by the same three folks ~ two of whom aren't attending.

b. obvious

[edit] for those who struggle with deductive reasoning, i offer this simply as an indication that we who are attending do indeed discuss it in private, now that it has become a point of contention. in the beginning, of course, we all got along and there was no reason to exclude anyone ~ thus we discussed WaP joyfully and publicly ~ those were the days, hmm?

#64604 04/10/02 06:59 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
of course, caradea, when you limit it to include only "this month" mentioned; "not this thread"; "number of people"; "excluding non-attendees" -- of course you minimize the number. An old lawyer's trick when you want to get a low number -- but a bit artificial.

"Wordapalooza" has been mentioned 145 times on this board (apart from this thread; and not including misspellings, abbreviations; references before the name was coined, etc.) YCLIU

Hope we can avoid confusing things any more than necessary, gal.

#64605 04/10/02 07:07 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw

#64606 04/10/02 07:38 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith