About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#63043 04/02/02 06:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I really cannot stand that home-wrecker!

Satin, I rather fancy that Camilla P-B isn't to blame for the idiotic mismatch between His Nibs and Di. Put that one down to pressure for him to marry and beget heirs.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#63044 04/02/02 11:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, I looked it up myself, in the 'Lectric Law Library: MORGANTIC MARRIAGE - During the middle ages, there was an intermediate estate between matrimony and concubinage, known by this name. It is defined to be a lawful and inseparable conjunction of a single man, of noble and illustrious birth, with a single woman of an inferior or plebeian station, upon this condition, that neither the wife nor children should partake of the title, arms, or dignity of the husband, nor succeed to his inheritance, but should have a certain allowance assigned to them by the morgantic contract. The marriage ceremony was regularly performed; the union: was for life and indissoluble; and the children were considered legitimate, though they could not inherit.
Sheesh--reckon there must have been, er, several, reasons that a law like this was developed!

#63045 04/02/02 11:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on other interesting point of law (one that used to exist in England, i don't know if it still does)

but a man could have child with a woman (one he wasn't married to) and then marry her years later, and "legitimize" the children. John of Gaunt did this with his third wife, Katherine. He had a 20 year affair with her, and she bore him 4 children. he eventually married her. The affair started after his first wife died, but continued through most of his second marriage. it was ended, and after his second wife died, he finally married her.

when he finally married her, he had all of his children by her made legitimate. (even though some were already adults!) one son had entered the clergy, and as a bastard, was prohibbited from holding an office in the church (becoming a bishop or higher) legitimizing him furthered his career.

i don't know if this is still permitted, but it is an interesting case.

#63046 04/03/02 02:42 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Leaving Camilla aside, I think the Family and the monarchy might get a great shot in the arm if Charles were to step aside and William were to become king when the job falls vacant. This business of an old guy becoming king is too boring. As I noted before, EII could go another 20 years. Even at that, Wills would still be relatively young.

#63047 04/03/02 05:11 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I think morganatic marriages were a continental Europe thing rather than a British one. I can't remember one actually happening in Britain.

The Austrian Franz-Ferdinand and his wife who were killed at Sarajevo, thus sparking off the First World War had a morganatic marriage.

I have this idea that marriage of two people automatically legitimises any children they had before they got married.

Bingley

Bingley
#63048 04/03/02 08:00 AM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I can just hear the conversations around the house if they had used their first names....

"Mary stop teasing Mary and Mary, pick up your things before company comes. Mary, help your sister, Mary,
with her homework. Mary, stop chasing the dog! Now you girls behave yourselves. Mary sit there, and Mary sit
there, and Mary, you over there, no, not you, Mary, I want Mary there. Don't you girls ever listen?"

It boggles the mind!

Ah, it wasn't quite that bad! Their first names were Mary but that was never used on its own. Instead they formed their names by joining Mary with their second name. My eldest aunt was called Mary Ellen in her formative years but, when she studied in France, everybody started calling her Marlene. It stuck. Same story for the other aunt and the old dear.

#63049 04/03/02 08:51 AM
R
Rubrick Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Leaving Camilla aside, I think the Family and the monarchy might get a great shot in the arm if Charles were to
step aside and William were to become king when the job falls vacant. This business of an old guy becoming
king is too boring. As I noted before, EII could go another 20 years. Even at that, Wills would still be relatively
young.

Well, Charles is still only 53 and in quite good shape. Edward VII was a heavy smoker, drinker and womaniser so he was never going to live to a ripe old age. He also ruptured his appendix before his coronation and the whole thing had to be postponed. I'm sure that he never fully recovered from this and other health problems.

Liz 2 is 76 and looking sprightly but there have been murmurings about abdication and Charles would make quite a good king for twenty years or so. After all, there have been older popes and company directors than he!!! The present pope only took his chair when he was in his late 50s.

As for Wills, I think there are a lot of people who would be up in arms to see him king so young. He's brash, too aloof and far too inexperienced to hold such a high position. Maybe in five to ten years but not now.

#63050 04/03/02 11:55 AM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
She was an institution, and the world will seem a strange place to all the currently living generations without her.

For a life well-lived, thank you ma'am.

#63051 04/03/02 12:15 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Their first names were Mary but that was never used on its own. Instead they formed their names by joining Mary with their second name.

I have some friends, Norm and Mary Jane, who had five daughters and no sons. They named them all Mary ______. With different middle names. Some are known by both together, some by their middle names only. It's Norm that I have the most fun with. One day, I decided he should suffer the same fate as the six ladies in his life. From that day forward, he has been known as Mary Norman!

#63052 04/03/02 08:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, Helen, you have to put John of Gaunt in his place and times. He was the uncle of a king, father of a king, the grandfather of another - Henry V at that - and a power equal to any statesman we have ever seen in his time. He was also the great-great-grandfather of Henry VII. He was known as M. d'Espagne for his failed Spanish military adventures and he could really do no wrong in England. Marrying Kat Swynforde and making the Beauforts legitimate led directly to Henry Tudor being able to overthrow Richard III and found the Tudor dynasty. Not bad for one guy, eh?

Morganatic marriage is not common these days, but Jackie's sources have led her slightly astray. It merely means that no rights of title or inheritance accue to the morganatic partner. It hasn't been used formally in Britain for many years, but it is still legally possible, I'm told.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 917 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith