About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
This from CNN: The good folks at SETI are again looking for ways to communicate with extraterrestrial intelligences. Great article. Any suggestions from the broad base here?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?N24F5179

post-edit: I've made a shorter link ~ thanks, wow!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
communicate with extraterrestial intelligences

500,000 subscribers, an estimated 200,000 "look-ins," and 3,000 registered board members...how can you be sure you are not now doing so? What better place to learn one of the world's most prevalent languages and study the "quirks" of earthlings as well? The Intergalactic Federation loves this site, I assure you.

#62722 03/27/02 08:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Yo, W'ON, how do you do that 'Twilight Zone' music in this medium?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This from ASp's article:

SETI, a private nonprofit organization sponsored by the U.S. government, NASA and technology giants such as Sun Microsystems, has been monitoring radio signals for the past 40 years in the hope of picking up a transmission from outer space.

"We have to use the tools that we have right now to search for signs of alien life. We are very hopeful," Vakoch said, as he sat in the kitchen of the Paris house.

Well, they does say that hope springs eternal, don't they - or for at least 40 years!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
veteran
veteran

Are you familiar with http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu?

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ran their analysis program as a screen saver for two years, but they released a buggy version which crashed my system, so I dumped it. Could have been ETs in the works, of course.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With the vastness of the ether I do believe there must be life of some form elsewhere. However, the distances are so vast, that unless we discover extradimensional travel (like in Heinlein's The Time Tunnel) I think that contact of any kind has to be a very rare event, indeed. Although, over the course of hundreds of thousands of years of cognizant human existence, I believe this may very well have happened once or twice in antiquity. From all my archaeological studies, in my mind, too many signs point toward this possibility to totally ignore. One of the most notable clues the so-called Nasca lines in South America.

I also have a pet theory concerning extraterrestial life concerning the relativity of size. Since size is so relative in the universal sense of things, and so unfathomable, people tend to think in terms of largeness. Look at the size of the planet Jupiter. But what about smallness? What if there are microcosms of undetected galaxies and solar systems out there the size of a single cell, or perhaps even as small as an atom? And what if the most advanced life in the universe inhabits one of these microscopic worlds? Then they could easily be flitting their miniature spacecraft around us all the time, even into and out of our nostrils and ears, completely unsensed or unseen observers...or manipulators. The same could be said for the other relativity of size...what if the entire universe as we perceive it is just a germ on somebody else's laboratory slide?...hmmmm?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, mercy, what a subject to tackle! I mean, I guess it's a good idea to try to have something in place just in case, but--there is no way to know, for sure, until and if they arrive here--or we have gone out and found some. Your article says, wouldn't it be nice if we introduced colors to a species that had never seen any? Well, what if they can't see colors? Then where would we be? I've read (fiction) that indicates that math might be best, since there are probably standard physics that hold true for any vehicles. But what (ha) if they have different symbols than we do? I'm thinking that perhaps simple pictures might be best (stick figures, planetary system), but what if the aliens can only see in 3 dimensions or something? Or like in Predator, by heat sensing only? There's just no way to guess ahead of time, despite Hollywood's and sci-fi writers' attempts to show us what we can "expect".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Of course, in my size theory cited above I'm still speaking within a linear reality. Ahshually®, I really think there are extradimensional realties we're unable to sense at our present state of development, and therein lies the source and key to communicating with extradimensional rather than extraterrestial life.

There's even a theory that UFO's are projections of our own Collective Unconscious, in the Jungian sense. An excellent book by Brad Steiger, UFO's and the Transformation of Man, explores this theory in a fascinating, and intellectually serious, manner. A great read for any UFO, Space, or Psychology buff.

#62729 03/30/02 03:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith