Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
enthusiast
enthusiast
is there a way to go directly to the last post on a thread (rather than hitting Show All, waiting for stuff to load, and then scrolling down)?

Something you might want to try is using the "End" key (in the little group of keys above the arrow keys, at least on my keyboard) to go to the bottom of the page. I find this helpful when there's a really long thread. If there are a lot of new posts, however, you'll end up scrolling upwards to find the first new post. So either way you might have to do some scrolling.

PS: Today my End key won't work, and neither will my Page Up or Page Down keys, but the rest of the keyboard works fine. Could anyone tell me why they suddenly conked out? Calling all computer geeks!

old hand
old hand
Today my End key won't work, and neither will my Page Up or Page Down keys, but the rest of the keyboard works fine. Could anyone tell me why they suddenly conked out?

Well, Rapunzel, it's highly technical. Ya see, usually this sort of thing happens on the Ides of March, but if ya check yer computer's clock, I think you'll find that you've got it set a little bit ahead. Just wait around until about this same time tomorrow, and it should clear itself right up! Provided the correct offerings and sacrifices at the Oracle, of course.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ya see, usually this sort of thing happens on the Ides of March

Oooooh, brutal FB, positively brutal. You too, eh? [laugh}

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>it's highly technical.

well, if you're going technical on us, today is actually the 2nd day of the Ides of March -- these things were reckoned backwards, you know.

http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
Kiwi, was that incident was sub rosa, or infra structure?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well, Rapunzel, it's highly technical.

Thanks for all of the help but the problem seems to have corrected itself. The keys are suddenly functional again.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Helen, for all that info.--esp. that part about it showing you not there after ten minutes. 'Cause sometimes I do walk away from the computer without closing AWAD--once I went out to dinner, leaving it open--and I was really wondering if people might be thinking I was actually here for 4 or 5 hours straight!
============================================================

The keys are suddenly functional again.
Ain't it the truth, Rapunzel? These machines do seem to take fits, of whether they're going to work or not. I almost never do special characters (é is an exception) any more, because suddenly, some of the numbers on my keypad simply send me back a screen (or two), as though I've hit the Back arrow. I can't figure it. By the way, for other computer neophytes, if ever you have gone back to the middle of some previous typing to do a correction, and whenever you do your retyping, and subsequent letters disappear, that means you have hit the Insert key as well as, or in place of, Backspace. Press it again, and you can correct normally. That had me literally screaming, until I called the computer store nearly in tears, and the guy told me!

F
addict
addict
F
Jackie and Rapunzel,

I suspect your scrolling problems have do do with the "scroll lock" and or "num lock" functions of your keyboard. On my 'board the number pad to the right of the regular keyboard can function as a number-entering device or as a scrolling device -- I expect yours do too (do the 2,4,6 & 8 keys have arrows on 'em?). If you want to use that pad as numbers, you have to have the "num lock" active (there is a light next to a #1 near the "caps lock" light on my 'board). I use the number pad for numbers, but the default when you turn the computer on is scroll lock on, so I have to remember to switch it everyday. Hope this helps!

A
addict
addict
A
What is the purpose of showing us the number of "views" a thread has? Is there a significance there that I am not aware of?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the number of "views" a thread has

Can't compute the stales index© without knowing the number of views.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 932 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith