#60705 03/12/02 06:56 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#60706 03/12/02 07:51 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes-- that the name..and yes, ver. 6 is quite good!

its does eat up memory, but if you have enough, its quite rapid, and as you say, it adjust to accents.. even New Yawk gets spelled as New York.

#60707 03/13/02 10:15 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I agree, Helen - one of the impressive things about these recognition programs is their heuristic capabilities. So far as I can gather, it is that capability that my colleague is chasing in his attempts to get it to deal with severely impaired speech.

#60708 03/13/02 12:08 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rhuby, once again, you're impressive--I had to look this up: (from Atomica)
heuristic
A method of problem solving using exploration and trial and error methods. Heuristic program design provides a framework for solving the problem in contrast with a fixed set of rules (algorithmic) that cannot vary.

#60709 03/14/02 08:37 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Nothing to offer but good wishes and prayer for your recovery. Be well soon.

#60710 03/14/02 09:07 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> bring communication media to those who find it difficult

This, in my eyes, has been one of the greatest accomplishments of 'the digital age' to date. Computers and the Internet offer, relatively speaking, so much freedom to those afflicted by debilitating physical problems.

All the best Bingley,

Chris

#60711 03/14/02 11:47 PM
A
addict
addict
A
Dear Bingley,

First my best to you. Second, I suffer from Bell's Palsy that was caused by a fall I took. Landed flat on my butt! Was a funny sight when it happened. But about a week after the fall, the problem started. I went to my chiropractor who said it was like dominos in my back, pinching the nerves in my neck. Now, I know we gotta lot of MD's on this board, hi Dr. Bill, wofa, Doc Comfort! and MD's don't usually agree with Chiropractors, but have you tried one yet? I highly recommend it. The way I look at it, I don't care what kind of letters they have following their name, if they can take care of my pain and paralysis, they get my vote. Good luck, Bing.

Angel

#60712 03/15/02 12:33 PM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Angel, that might not be a bad idea. Nothing the neurologist has tried has helped, so Bingley is planning to see if his G.P. has any other suggestions. This might be one of them.
Also, they seem to have found him a voice-recognition package to try out at work, and if that doesn't do the job, plan to keep trying till they find a workable one.

#60713 03/16/02 02:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, I also was going to recommend that it sounded like a chiropractic problem. A good chiropractor can work wonders. My mother once had a slipped disc in her lower back, and was slated for surgery, but she opted for chiropractic treatment instead of letting them cut. It took a little bit of time, but it worked. That was in 1973, she just turned 75, and she hasn't had a problem with it since! So that is certainly an option I believe in.

This definitely sounds like the type of thing that can be treated once properly diagnosed, Bingley. I know how tough it must be for you to get on like this. But bear up, leave no stones unturned in seeking treatment, and I'm sure you'll make a full recovery. And hurry up!...'cause we miss you around here!

#60714 03/17/02 09:46 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I tried Dragon too, I forget the edition. I thought that it was very good. I speak quite quickly and found that it coped quite well. There were two things that I found particularly interesting - one was that it could "read" some documents that you regularly use and add the words that it found to its custom dictionary. This had the advantage that it was making a much better guess at the word that you intended to use, even when the word was complex or unusual. I found the "training" stage a little dull where you have to read paragraphs of standard text but I would have put up with it much more if I had a genuine reason for using the software, rather than just interest.

My partner does a lot of dictating in his work and we had hoped that we could just hook up the tape to the machine to get a workable first draft. This wasn't an option but with the increased use of things like memory sticks and personal hand held devices, I could see this becoming a useful tool.

On the downside, I do part of my work in a busy international organisation. One thing that I have noticed in recent years is that the working environment is so much more pleasant. When I first worked there, I would leave with a headache, the phones were constantly ringing and calls were constantly being re-direct around the office. It was like the Tower of Babel at times. Now it is so much more quiet. E-mail means that people can communicate in their own time zone, no more desperate calls asking us not to send urgent faxes at 3am, people can answer mail in when it suits them and can insert standard text, where necessary, rather than constant repetition. I'd hate to go back to a time where everyone (who didn't have to) sat talking to machines. Anyway - good luck Bing - hope you find something that works.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith