About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#60145 03/08/02 09:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There is also the question of whether 18 year old seminary students should be called children.

Well put, Vernon. What you are seeing is the latest round in a contest which began aeons ago, was interrupted rather abruptly by those well-known democrats, the Romans, in 70AD and which resumed in earnest in 1948. I don't believe that either side really cares about its children, because neither side shows the slightest sign of wanting to negotiate a lasting peace in which they can grow up without being exposed to old hatreds and more modern justifications for their continuation. Until the will to do so emerges from the rubble of suicide bombs or retaliatory attacks on residential areas, the children are going to continue down the path of early alienation and the support of this seemingly everlasting war.

Ain't life grand?

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#60146 03/08/02 10:14 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Keiva, must you continually amend and revise your posts?
My basic text was left unchanged, sir. I merely put it in white -- for the benefit of those who might not wish to read it -- and added the note at the end.

Unless I am perhaps misunderstanding you.

#60147 03/09/02 04:29 AM
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I have withdrawn this post after receiving a private reminder that AWADtalk is not the place for political debates. My apologies, everyone.

#60148 03/09/02 05:32 AM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
If what you say is true, Vernon -- if the Israeli army were targeting ambulances in the process of giving aid -- it would indeed be grotesque. But per the Reuters account, I see only that such has been claimed by the palestinians, not that it has been substantiated.

If it should be confirmed, I will join you in condemnation. I trust you do not object to me waiting until the facts are verified.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20020308/ts/mideast_ambulances_dc_1.html

#60149 03/09/02 04:21 PM
A
addict
addict
A
This started as a thread written by a distraught father at midnight. Though it was not his children who were killed and injured this time, it brought back a flood of emotion of a time when it could have been his children. He brought this to us all, his friends and acquaintances, at an hour when there was no one else around. This was not put out here as a political forum, it was put here as a cry for help, from a "Shaken" man. Let's keep that in perspective.

#60150 03/09/02 05:25 PM
L
L
I think it's telling about the community built here that someone would feel able to share their hour of need.

Alas, War isn't known for bringing out the best in us.

#60151 03/09/02 05:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...Let's keep that in perspective.

There is not a single post above that doesn't do that.

----------------------

Politics (for me) is *more about how people relate (even politicians do that) than it is about the perspectives they bring. Both are *bound to be different for different reasons...

...but I digress (into politics, of course).

#60152 03/09/02 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
on occations in the past, the subject of UK/Ireland and Norther ireland has come up. i read these post, but i almost never comment, because, i am very aware that i have a biased attitude.

pick any year in the past 1000, and look at a map of the eastern edge of the mediterian. power has shifted, peoples have moved. It seem evident that both jews and non jews have lived in the area for 4000+ years. as for what patch of land belongs to who, and as of when, its hard to say.

I tend to side with israel, it is one of the most democratic states in the area. it has done more to improve the land, develop resourses, and provide opportunites for all the people living there, and improve peoples lives with job, housing, and modern infrastructure. but, israel, just like my own country has not been perfect. it has made real, and political blunders.

i don't read enough, or know enough to argue my case that we (the world as a whole) are better off with the state of israel, than we are with out. but it does exist, and jews, (jewish cities, and settlements) are part of the tradition of the area-- not just since 1948, but for thousand of years. this is not a new idea, or some foriegn influence that is being impossed. it is simple a continuation.

unfortunately, warfare is also part of the tradition. the only time there has been any peace, is when a third party has come in and imposed it. It would be nice to think we as humans have evolved to a point where we could learn to live with our neighbors in peace-- but i know, as much as i want it, i am not unbaised-- and i am part of the world problem!

i think this is not really the place to discuss the situation in the mid east, or in ireland, or a handful of other places around the world. it is all to easy to present facts, and at the same time, miss the true picture.

In a total personal way, i sometime talk about my childhood.
nowday, Museums, especialy NY's Natural History Museum, are dear to my heart. i love going to them, and i support them financial. When i was child, the NH museuem was total free.

My parents never, not once took me there. or to any of the other (also free!) museums around NY.

(sounds like they neglected culture, doesn't it?) but they did take me to the zoo, and botanical gardens, and to see the UN (repeatedly to the UN, my Father loved to vistit the UN, did i mention we often went to the UN?) and we got taken to see all the big ships, or navy ships that came to port. (the first atomic submarine stop in NY in 1963/4, and i was taken to see it, and all the big liners in their day.)

so the fact is, NO Museuems. the reality is, i was taken to see many important cultural things in the city-- just not museums.

it's real easy to list facts... and miss the over all picture. and when it comes to Mid east, i know i don't even have all the facts!

#60153 03/09/02 08:08 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
He brought this to us all, his friends and acquaintances,

Understandable that he would seek the comfort of friends, but here's the rub: it's been made abundantly clear that the overwhelming majority of this board's participants are NOT his friends, and are no longer his acquaintances either.

#60154 03/09/02 08:32 PM
K
Keiva Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
K
Hmmm ... a brand new sign-in name, "debunker". Someone who has a strong personal view and purports to speak for the "overwhelming majority" -- while concealing his or own identity.

With all respect due to you, I continue to see nothing improper about me feeling deep sorrow at the event I mentioned. Do you share that sorrow? If so, you and I have a common bond on that basis, and we can leave it at that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 477 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith