About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#59762 03/09/02 04:22 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CK, would you please elaborate on what a foreshore is? And, is there an aftshore?

It's the land along the edge of the sea. Or harbour, in Dunedin's case. Since there was (and still is) a shortage of flat land, they flattened a hill and put the proceeds into the harbour. The shoreline is now half a mile further out than it used to be. The reclaimed land isn't what you'd call 100% stable, but needs must.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I grew up in a town of 45,000 in central, New Jersey, (Plainfield), and there was a sizeable shopping district that we always referred to as downtown... Goin' downtown? Let's go downtown... etc.

"When you're alone/and life is making you lonely/ you can always go....downtown"
--Petula Clark

In New York City, however, (where I spent a lot of time as a kid, and then lived for awhile) there is a very definite uptown. (I'm surprised you missed this Helen). There are two posh areas adjacent to Central Park roughly from (streetwise) the 60's to the 90's called The Upper East Side and The Upper West Side (where John Lennon lived in the Dakota).

Uptown Girl/she's been livin' in her uptown world....And now she's looking for a downtown man/That's what I am....She's getting tired of her high class toys/And all her presents from her uptown boys.
--Billy Joel

However, the classic Uptown is north of 125th Street, Harlem, as in the flick Uptown Saturday Night

Atlantic City is built on the northern portion of a barrier island, Absecon Island, but the communities south of the city on the same island, Ventnor, Margate, and Longport, are referred to as downbeach. However, Atlantic City is never referred to as upbeach, the term just doesn't exist. Folks there just say "go into town" or "go into the city" or "go to Atlantic City."

foreshore

Intriguing, CapK...never heard that term on the East Coast of the US anywhere (from new England to the Florida Keys, and Gulf Coast). Does anybody use this term anywhere other than "Upunder" ?

#59764 03/10/02 01:36 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Any city in Michigan I've ever been in has a downtown, but I don't believe I've ever encountered an uptown.

#59765 03/10/02 01:41 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
CK, would you please elaborate on what a foreshore is?

It's the land along the edge of the sea. ... Since there was (and still is) a shortage of flat land, they flattened a hill and put the proceeds into the harbour. The shoreline is now half a mile further out than it used to be

So, if you go swimming nekkid there, you are foreskinny dipping? [channelling TEd e]

#59766 03/10/02 02:12 PM
old hand
old hand
> CK, would you please elaborate on what a foreshore is?

Not necessarily the sea, and perhaps not necessarily a harbour......I'd simply change the definition to say the land at the edge of a body of water. Cliffs and seawalls don't count as foreshore though.

It's in common usage here in Perth - with respect to the Swan River, rarely the ocean - though both are correct.

...is there an aftshore?

No. But you come close with sailing terms - there's a lee shore (as opposed to a windward shore).

It's probably similar to "foredune" - the sloping face of a sand dune - there's no aftdune as I recall.

stales

#59767 03/10/02 06:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Augh! I'm trying to just read and catch up, but I cannot resist this: stales, do you think I can find fame and a foredune?

Seriously, I've never heard that term before, Louisville not being exactly near a coastline. But--aren't ALL the sides of a sand dune sloping?

#59768 03/10/02 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Depends on the circumcises.

TEd
#59769 03/11/02 10:49 AM
old hand
old hand
It was late last night and I've jumbled my dune theory. Will now try to recover with grace. I might have a degree in Marine Science but darned if I can remember it - never used it! Where's Bean when you need her - HELP!!

The foredune is the first line of dunes on a beach - there is often a lagoon on the inland side - try the US Atlantic coast frinstance, or Baja California in Mexico. The foredune's role in life is to act as a reservoir of sand - to be utilised during storm surges. The more energetic wave action during storms attacks the foredune, eroding it. The beach changes profile during this process, becoming shallower and hence sapping the energy of the waves. They break increasingly further out to sea and thus inflict less damage at the top of the beach.

This is the principal reason that fixing the foredune (with buildings especially) is a BAD idea. No reservoir of sand, no attenuation of waves, no stopping the sea, crash/topple go the buildings.

Back to dune cross sections.....they are typically asymmetrical - steeper on the lee side and shallower on the windward side. A dune advances when sand blown up the windward face passes over the crest and tumbles down the lee face. When a dune (or ripple mark if the structure is formed underwater - with an obvious difference in scale of course), the strata parallel to the leeward side are known as the foreset beds (Dyslexia joke - "Run Foreset, run!!) - they are formed at the forefront of the dune and indicate its direction of movement. The flatter strata that develop on the windward side form the topset beds.

Bit more trivia: the angle that the face makes with the horizontal is the angle of repose. This is a function of grain size, sphericity, moisture content and specific gravity (good ol' SG - welcome back!!) It is typically 30 something degrees for many materials - 34 degrees for your standard garden variety beach sand I think. Bloody steep when you're on it!!

Edit: Had a quick squiz at the Dictionary - there's plenty of "fore" words that have been developed without an "aft" equivalent. Another that I thought of is fo'c'sle - never heard of an aftc'sle on a boat.

stales

#59770 03/11/02 01:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is the principal reason that fixing the foredune (with buildings especially) is a BAD idea.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!

Remind me to tell you sometime why tornadoes aren't attracted to trailer parks, trailer parks are attracted to tornadoes.

#59771 03/11/02 03:57 PM
old hand
old hand
Faldage - putting humour to one side, there is a one to one relationship between trailer parks and tornadoes.

For a foredune do its job in a storm/tornado, it cannot be encumbered by development. To minimise structural damage, insurance payouts and to protect the coastline (or riverbank - same deal), town planners always site trailer parks, recreation reserves and other "soft" landuse forms on foreshores. Their destruction is expected in the overall scheme of things. For sure!

stales

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,369
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 874 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith