Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#59279 03/02/02 01:41 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
We are indebted to Stales (in "Talismanic Gold") for bringing us the story of the kundela, a sort of psychic Smith & Wesson used by Aussie Aborigines to execute outlaws in their society. Stales explains that the priestly executioners "load" a "pointing bone", a human bone carved to a point like a spear, and, thus "charged with powerful psychic energy", it is aimed at the condemned and discharged with unerring lethal effect. The psychic weapon has been described as a "spear of thought" but, nonetheless, it is "loaded" like a gun so I prefer the term psychic Smith & Wesson. In any case, the real point here is that the subconcious is immensely powerful and science has begun to understand these powers much better of late as a result of the wide-spread use of MRI brain scans in cognitive research. For instance, research recently reported in Scientific American magazine has demonstrated that the so-called placebo effect is a real effect marked by intense activity in certain areas of the brain. Last month, the New York Times published stories on two separate brain studies which cast further light on the shadowy realms of the "terra incognita". Hijacking the Brain Circuits with a Nickel Slot Machine (Feb. 19) which reports "a finding that astonishes many people", namely, that "the brain systems that detect and evaluate [gambler's] rewards generally operate outside of conscious awareness." [Dopamine strikes again!] And Penetrating the Mind by Metaphor (February 23) which reports that "focus groups", the dominant technique for devising marketing campaigns, are "a waste of time" because "consumers can't tell you what they think because they just don't know". A Harvard Business School professor has come up with a new patented technique to "uncover people's hidden thoughts" (and sell them more Coke and other consumer products) by inviting people to collect photos from magazines and other sources which "capture" their feelings about the product being studied, for example, Coke. All of this new information about the terra incognita recalls, for me, Columbus' "discovery" of America, a continent inhabited by peoples possessed of a wisdom which was only discovered by Western culture in the last century. Neuroscientists are now proudly proclaiming "discoveries" that have been known by ancient cultures for many hundreds of years, perhaps millennia. The "kundela" killing bone is only one example of this. I remember a quote from an ancient text, perhaps the Kabbala, which reveals an understanding of the unconscious that sounds like break-through cognitive science today. It goes something like this: Thy life is a mirror of the images that form in thy mind. Thinkest thou evil and evil is thine. (Does this remind anyone of the visualization techniques used by most of the top athletes nowadays including Tiger Woods and the U.S. Olympic diver who trained for her gold medal performance by visualizing her dives rather than actually making them because her arm was broken?) The "placebo effect" is now something medicine accepts because it has been "proven" to exist. Yet, for decades, the effect was acknowledged by science but regarded more as a nuisance than a tool. Similarly, we dismiss the kundela effect, if I may call it that, as a sort of primitive voodoo. I believe we need a more respectable term for these voodoo-like practices reflecting the scientific credibility these practices deserve in the light of recent scientific findings. I invite others to propose such a term.

#59280 03/02/02 02:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gee, I can't wait til science 'discovers' karma.

#59281 03/02/02 02:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
According to Carl Jung, many of these rituals and symbols arise from archetypes, a shared subconscious experience arising from the Collective Unconscious. And this he claims to be the reason why people of many far-reaching and unassociated cultures have been known to give birth to very similar religious practices, rituals, or symbolic activites simultaneously.

And in his Theory of Synchronicity Jung is credited with providing empirical evidence for the existence of miracles. And many people assert that he did, indeed, empirically prove the existence of miracles with this theory.

#59282 03/02/02 04:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
thank you Plutarch, for saying so elegantly, what i hoped to express in my rant..

I truly believe that the scientific training of "western" doctors has value..and the science has done many things to improve life, (both personally and in general) but i also place great value in psychic healing.

i believe peppermints will relieve an upset stomach. i rarely have an upset stomach, but if i do, a single peppermint does the trick. I never got "sick" when i was pregnant, but i was sure, when ever i felt queasy, just a little bit of something cool and creamy on my tongue would make me feel better. and so, a spoonful of orange sherbert.. and i felt fine. even i as took the sherbert, i knew, it was "all in my mind" but, it still worked.

when my kids got warts, i mixed up a conconction.. (bits of this and that, colored it almost black with a basic caramel coloring, painted it on their warts, and told them it was wart killer.. and sure enough, the warts went away. (when my daughter got another wart in her teens, she refused my treatment -- since it was "not real" and bought an expensive OTC medicine.. it worked just the same as mine!

and as for the quoteThy life is a mirror of the images that form in thy mind. Thinkest thou evil and evil is thine. -- yes, i have heard (and been taught that, and belive it) People made fun of Jimmy Carter, when he said he had "lusted in his heart"-- and saw his sin as great as if he had acutally cheated on his wife.. but the catholic church would agree. One can sin by thought, action, or deed.
Deed here means inaction-- as indeed, in reality- even if not actively. (listening to gossip was the example i remember.. ) 1 sin to think bad thoughts, an other sin to speak badly about another, and thirdly, even just listening, is a sin.

but it works the other way too.. i am (you can look at my photo in the gallery) overweight, and average looking.. but in my heart of hearts, i know, i am not just beautiful, but very sexy, as well as smart. I sometime have trouble meeting guys, but in very short order, many agree with my self assesment. i project it, and they accept it. i am average height (5'5") but my sister, who is 3 inches shorter, thinks she is tall (she was very short when young, and set herself simple goals, she just wanted to be taller than parents.) eveyone, really everyone! thinks she is taller than me.. even when we are standing side by side! she thinks she is tall-- and everyone picks up her psychic message.. and agrees!

#59283 03/02/02 05:18 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WO'N: Psychic weapons may take many forms. One day from a mezzanine nurse's station that overlooked a large ward, I saw an ancient hag who had come in to feed her brother who had had a cerebral vascular accident which paralyzed one arm. She was obviously povertry stricken and badly undernourished. Understandably, after feeding her brother, she could not resist the temptation to steal the tray of patient with similar affliction in next bed, who was likewise unable to speak or feed himself but had no relative to help him, and no attendant was available. She pulled the curtain aside and slowkly reaced for his tray. When the second patient saw what she was doing, he whipped off his bed covers with his good hand, grasped his penis and pointed it at her. She stopped and slowly backed away, letting the curtain fall back in place.

#59284 03/02/02 05:29 PM
R
R
i project it, and they accept it.

One problem with modern society (and science) is that many times it glosses over the basic animal and atavistic parts of our humanity.

My wife was at a professional conference (she is in a predominately female profession) and one of the speakers was talking about attitude and self-defense. She said that women who sort of shuffled along, looking downward, and appearing timid or weak were much more likely to be targeted by a rapist than a women striding purposefully, head up, and alert. Projecting this sort of confidence (even if not truly felt) was given as a powerful way of reducing your risk of being attacked.

A hunter knows by instinct what will make easiest prey even if they cannot explain it or even realise it.

One other example of how our basic makeup influences us came from a study done in Germany. They had men wear a t-shirt for a few days so that it had their body odour. Then they put the shirts in containers and had women smell the t-shirts. It turned out that the scent that the women found most attractive was from the man with whose immune system thingies were the most different from theirs.

[digression](From the OED: thingies: n. A technical term describing something with a very complicated Latin or Greek name which you do not remember until a) 1 nanosecond after posting a message that you really wanted to use the term in, or b) when you are trying to recall the name of another, completely unrelated thingie)[/digression]

The conclusion was that this sort of pairing would produce a child with the best immune system by providing the largest diversity of these immune system thingies. Another interesting point was that women using birth control pills did not select the same way because of changes to their hormones and body chemistry.

In cases like this, science is just learning the science behind the kinds of things people have known for years. I guess saying a couple has chemistry might be more true than we thought.

There are far too many examples of people who seem to succeed and be happy (or at least content) despite the obstacles they face because they remain positive. I have started reading a book, "Letters and Papers From Prison" which contains the writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. They show a man who refused to be cowed in the face of evil.

#59285 03/02/02 06:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
psychic/alternative cures

It was reported by all the major news agencies the other day that the American Medical Association (AMA) has sanctioned the use of acupuncture as a treatment and cure for high blood pressure (hypertension). Studies showed that 12 acupuncture treatments over a period of six weeks actually brought the blood pressure back to a much healthier level than the foremost drug now prescribed. And, since this pressure normalcy usually continues for a year or so after the acupuncture treatment, this procedure qualifies as a cure. Please don't scream, Dr.Bill! That's from the AMA! [holding-my-ears-and-ducking-from-the Good-Doctor's-coming-onslaught-e]

#59286 03/02/02 06:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Rous., may I inquire just which version of the OED you used, Dear? I got this in e-mail the other day, and it fits here:

> >>As I've said for quite a while, Life is just two things:
Attitude and Cash Flow.
>>READ THIS. LET IT REALLY SINK IN. THEN CHOOSE HOW YOU START
>YOUR DAY TOMORROW.
> >>Michael is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good
> >>mood and always has something positive to say.

When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I
> >>were any better, I would be twins!"
> >>He was a natural motivator.
> >>If an employee was having a bad day, Michael was there telling the
> >>employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.
> >>Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up to
> >>Michael and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all
> >>of the time.
> >>How do you do it?"
> >>Michael replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you
> >>have two choices today.
> >>You can choose to be in a good mood or .. you can choose to be in a
> >>bad mood. I choose to be in a good mood.
> >>Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or.. I
> >>can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.
> >>Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept
> >>their complaining or... I can point out the positive side of life. I
> >>choose the positive side of life.
> >>"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.
> >>"Yes, it is," Michael said. "Life is all about choices. When you
> >>cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice.
> >>You choose how you react to situations.
> >>You choose how people affect your mood. You choose to be in a good
> >>mood or bad mood.
> >>The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life."
> >>I reflected on what Michael said. Soon hereafter, I left the Tower
> >>Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often
> >>thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to
> >>it.
> >>Several years later, I heard that Michael was involved in a serious
> >>accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower.
> >>
> >>After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, Michael was
> >>released from the hospital with rods placed in his back.
> >>I saw Michael about six months after the accident. When I asked him
> >>how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins. Wanna see
> >>my scars?"
> >>
> >>I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone
> >>through his mind as the accident took place.
> >>
> >>"The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my
> >>soon to be born daughter," Michael replied. "Then, as I lay on the ground,
> >>I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or ...I
> >>could choose to die. I chose to live."
> >>
> >>"Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked. Michael
> >>continued, "...the paramedics were great."
> >>
> >>They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled
> >>me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors
> >>and nurses, got really scared. In their eyes, I read "he's a dead man.
> >>I knew I needed to take action."
> >>
> >>"What did you do?" I asked.
> >>
> >>"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said
> >>Michael. "She asked if I was allergic to anything.
> >>
> >>"Yes, I replied." The doctors and nurses stopped working as they
> >>waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, "Gravity."
> >>
> >>Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to live. Operate
> >>on me as if I am alive, not dead."
> >>
> >>Michael lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because
> >>of his amazing attitude. I learned from him that every day we have the
> >>choice to live fully.
> >>
> >>Attitude, after all, is everything.
> >>
> >>"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry
> >>about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
> >>
> >>After all today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

#59287 03/02/02 07:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Attitude and outlook do indeed play a very important role in how our lives go. To the quote, "Thy life is a mirror of the images that form in thy mind. Thinkest thou evil and evil is thine.", I would add: Thinkest thou joy, and joy is thine. Many times, I have seen an unexpected laugh turn anger into a responsive laugh.

I think it is vital to try and decide what the really important things are, and keep focused on them. (Something I'm not always good at.) I will share part of a letter I wrote to someone recently: "And some want to control everything in it. The way in which they do this depends on who they are. It sounds like your mother has not given up on joy--you said she enjoys the companionship where she is. But for those who only focus on what they have lost--I think the joy will be gone. They take fits if their meals are served a little late, or if, for ex., something is moved from where it belongs. That kind of thing. I wasn't talking about just the smallness of the focus, but the way in which it is done."

Control is a huge issue. We would all like to have control over everything that happens to us. But, of course, we don't. I've posted this before, but what my former pastor said bears repeating: There is nothing that can happen to a man that is as important as how he reacts to it. There are people who move on from great personal tragedy, after the grieving period, to dedicating themselves to a celebration of life (hi, Sweetie, you know who you are). I am not at all sure that I'd be able to do that. One of the things this involves is letting go. Not necessarily forgetting, but just...to stop focusing on how awful the thing was, and re-focus on, "Ok, how am I going to make my life better from this moment on?" We can look for the good in everything, and rejoice in it.

I don't mean ignore the bad things--not at all. They ARE going to happen. But one can acknowledge, and try to ameliorate, and still keep in mind some positives.
Now, I know this isn't always easy to do--it depends on the circumstances, for sure. I don't mean, say, right after the loss of a loved one. But, using that as an example, it is indeed possible to acknowledge "things will never be the same again", AND ALSO to say, "But wasn't it grand while it lasted?". This is where we have a choice. We can choose to completely wallow in misery, or we can acknowledge the misery AND ALSO recognize that we do have the power to do other things as well.

There are times when one may choose to wallow--heck, I love a good old self-pity wallow as much as the next person! But I think, if we do that, it is good to recognize that it IS a choice we have made, and hopefully underlying that recognition will be the implication that this is going to be a temporary state. Focusing on being miserable is counter-productive; that's all there is to it.

Even when you see no end to the misery (my Dear, my Dear, you know who YOU are), PLEASE try to remember: you DO have a choice. You really do. It isn't dependent upon others to "make" you happy--that will come from within you. You can trust me on this--I've been on both sides.

#59288 03/02/02 07:42 PM
R
R
Rous., may I inquire just which version of the OED you used, Dear?

Why yes, you may inquire. It was an addition to my electronic copy of the OED. Yeah, that's it. To quote the famous American philospher Collin Raye, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

#59289 03/02/02 09:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
I think something's stuck to it, all right...

#59290 03/02/02 09:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interestingly enough, "Attitude is everything." has been my personal mantra ( and I thought I had discovered that one on my own) since 1986. It really does work when you are up to your armpits in kryptonite and can't quite reach the shovel, or anytime you need a little extra strength, really.

#59291 03/02/02 11:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the "explaination" of additude that worked for me, was the "story" bit-- you know how sometimes people trade war about a bad day--'You think your day was bad, let me tell you about mine.." but when they do, they tell the story with relish, they take pride in all the endured, they work at telling a good story, until, you are rolling in laughter. you might recognize there is a small bit of exageration in the story, but it is mostly true.

If you are going to tell a war story about your experiences, if you are going to relish them in a couple of hour, days, weeks or months, why not relish and enjoy the experience as it happens? a mile long fender bender because of smog? has it closed down the road, and left you in a 10 mile long backup? Well, the day you planned is shot-- so enjoy the day you have been given!

It really hard to ruin my day now! every day is an adventure.. most of them are boring.. but every once in awhile, i have a great adventure!

#59292 03/03/02 12:44 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#59293 03/03/02 01:07 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No matter how postive his attitude, it wasn't only a flesh wound.

Yes it is! Come back and fight! Sissy! Girly! What a bunch of woofters you knights errant are these days!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#59294 03/03/02 01:52 AM
R
R
It really hard to ruin my day now! every day is an adventure.. most of them are boring.. but every once in awhile, i have a great adventure!

You know, that's just the approach I've taken with the whole diaper changing thing for the past three years!

#59295 03/03/02 11:12 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
"SMILE," they told me, "things could be worse!"

So I smiled:

and they were.

#59296 03/03/02 02:05 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
But wasn't it grand while it lasted?
Jackie, this reminds me of a scene from the 1970s movie "The Man Who Would Be King" based on Rudyard Kipling's novel, directed by John Huston and starring Michael Caine, Sean Connery and Christopher Plummer. (What a cast!). Caine and Connery are Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid kind of devil-may-care rogue adventurers, and they brave a perilous trek across Afghanistan in the 1800s to conquer and loot one of the "-stan" countries at the northern border of Afghanstan. (The scenery is spectacular!) Christopher Plummer's character tells them they are mad to attempt such a journey when the last white man to return from those regions was Alexander the Great some 2200 years earlier. This convinces Caine's character that their plan is sound. Alexander was a Greek, so he is told, and they are Englishmen. What is more, they have proof of their sanity. Would a mad man do this?, demands Caine, as he produces a contract wherein he and Connery forswear the comforts of liquor and women (of whatever color) until the deed is done. At last, our heroes make it to the fringes of the territory they have come to conquer, marked by a pair of fiercesome statues looming out of a blizzard at the top of a mountain. They are down to the last of the 3 mules they have confiscated from murderous marauders and Connery is snow blind. Suddenly, the ice bridge they have just crossed collapses behind them. Then they discover that their way ahead is blocked by an impassable chasm. They sit inside a cleft in the mountain and resign themselves to death, a prospect not all that agreeable because it will be slow and chilling (and not so bracing as a good battle with slashing sword and smoking firearm in hand, one suspects). Connery turns to Caine and asks him earnestly if, knowing he is going to die in this fashion, he still considers his life worthwhile. They both agree they have performed no good deeds "worth mentioning". Then Caine says he would not trade places with a king if it meant losing all his memories. They begin reminiscing about their many adventures and, soon, they are both laughing uproariously. An avalanche begins, tumbling from above. When Caine and Connery emerge unhurt from their refuge, they discover the chasm ahead is filled ... and they resume their journey ... triumphantly, of course.

#59297 03/04/02 01:57 PM
old hand
old hand
.....when I saw the title of this thread I thought it had something to do with acolt.

stales

#59298 03/04/02 02:17 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Plutrach, wasn't that "The Man Who Would Be King?"

It was "The Man Who Would Be King" film that both Connery and Caine (in interviews) cite as one of their favorite roles.
It plays every now and then on the American Movie Classics (AMC) TV channel.

#59299 03/05/02 01:58 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when I saw the title of this thread I thought it had something to do with acolt.
No, no, Sweetie, that's over in the voodoo thread...

#59300 03/05/02 12:42 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
something to do with acolt
Speaking of the "acolt", did you hear that saying that came out of the Old West: "The Lord made some men large and some men small, but Colonel Colt made all men equal." Dirty Harry lugs a Smith & Wesson and his fans believe some gunslingers are more equal than others.

#59301 03/05/02 05:12 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The optimist fell ten stories.
As he passed each window bar
He shouted to his friends,
"All right so far!"

#59302 03/05/02 06:34 PM
L
L
A dark and angry man has controlled me for the last ten years (yes i'm a slow learner.) And just in the last year have I learned this lesson. Every time I faced him was with fear and anger. My friends encouraged me to stand up for myself. But anger and displays of force were not the answer. My whole life had become a reflection of the fear and anger I felt. Now when I see him it's with love in my heart. The way he treated me was wrong and I will not subject myself to it again but when I reflected his anger I wasn't choosing, I was letting him control me. When I don't let the fear and anger control me, it's amazing the difference in our interaction, and by consequence the rest of my life. While I'm not sure I'd like to test my changing attitude by falling out of a large building, I can certainly say I agree with "Michael".

#59303 03/05/02 07:26 PM
P
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
P
I will not subject myself to it again
Sounds like you learned some kind of emotional judo, Ladymoon, flipping your partner's anger and aggression right over you? If I am not being too inquisitive, can you explain how this works? How does your new attitude neutralize his habit of aggression and control?

#59304 03/05/02 07:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
ladymoon, blessings upon you, and "Oh, yeah!"...

#59305 03/05/02 08:03 PM
A
addict
addict
A
ladymoon, here, here! or did we decide it's hear, hear! ? Been there, done that, girlfriend! [solemn-e]

#59306 03/07/02 05:32 AM
L
L
I figured out my fear and anger were feeding his aggression. When I went back with love in my heart I thought it would be a shield against his anger. But instead it seems to have unhorsed him.

#59307 03/07/02 02:19 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Amor vincit omnis.

#59308 03/07/02 04:30 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You make it sound easy (and in some ways it is..) its like floating.. alive human bodies do want to float.. but if we are tense, or fight, or just try, we can easily slip under the water. we shouldn't have to learn how to float. but most of do!

learning to keep with in ourselves, and not take on other anger is hard (especially if you are emotionally involved..) we tend, to mirror the ones we love (watch a couple in love, they will almost always mirror each other, how they sit, where their hand are.. sometimes even clothes!)

it is a hard trick, to be able to be emotionally involved, and not to mirror.. to stay with in our selves.. especially where emotions are involved!

good customer service skills require you to remain in your self, no matter how angry (or annoying!) the customer is..

and there are people who are adept at "Passing off emotions"
(being angry is requires more effort than being calm... if they teach you to get angry for them, they can save their energy for other stuff..) if you let your self be manipulated that way, you spend all your time and energy being mad!--

classic is a kid, who tells her mother how horrid the her husband is.. the mother get angry, and hostile to son in law, the daughter defends hubby, and get closer to him.. and at the same time defends mommy.-- "problem" is always the mother in law.. reality is its a three way triangle. daughter is using Mother to get angry at husband..

an other classic, parents are fighting.. it scares a kid. Kid does something stupid (totals car) Parent are now in agreement--Kid is stupid! (kid is happy, parent are no longer fighting.. Kid would rather be labeled stupid, than listen to parent fight. )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,363
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 388 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith