About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
OP Offline
O
OK, ok! I did the search here, and I don't understand the whole nine yards bit, and tsuwmn's link from last year (March) didn't take me a millimeter closer to finding the first thing about the whole nine yards.

And, of Troy, that construction description of yours didn't make sense to my mind, which is always way out there far from things like cement! Ooh, my aching feet stuck in cement! Can't move much.

So, from Ozoneland here, what is this whole nine yards bit about? If it's construction, is it nine square yards?

Completely spaced out on this one,
OrB~ and please pardon the introduction of a repeated topic

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
was the link to Quinion? http://www.quinion.com/words/articles/nineyards.htm
you don't like his non-answer? there are some mysteries in our language and it would appear that this is one.

Quinion: If you're hoping for a definitive answer, you'd better buy a crystal ball. I have to say straight away this is one of the great unsolved mysteries of modern etymology, for which many seek the truth and almost as many find explanations, but hardly anyone has a clue. What we do know is that the phrase is recorded from the 1960s, is an Americanism (it's nothing like so well known in Britain, for example), and has the meaning of "everything; all of it; the whole lot; the works". But there are no leads anyone can discover to a reasonable idea of where it came from.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Gotta go with tsuwm (and Quinion) here. There's zillions of explanations and every one of them has something seriously wrong with it.

O
OP Offline
O
Dear tsuwm,

The link I tried took me to a page where there were just a lot of choices, so I clicked on "Phrases," and among the phrases listed was the notable absence of "whole nine yards." I probably was off-course.

Thanks for pasting the mystery.

All for life's mysteries,
OrB~

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
You can always count on the Board for the whole nine yards on any subject!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the whole nine yards

Aw, everybody knows it came from "the full monty"! which has a similar meaning and has the same etymological haze surrounding it...try searching the board for that one if you have a few days to spare, OrionsBelt~...another much-discussed (to say the least!) enigma. My apologies to the board for bringing the f.m. phrase up again, but it did seem relevant here.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Whit,

And to complicate matters, consider the Emperor's new clothes being made of the whole nine yards as he showed off the full monty!

Rocketing outta here into the stratosphere,
OrB~ -- Wordwind -- Whatever -- Life is confusing!

O
OP Offline
O
Me, I'm still working on the whole nine inches! Cannot tell whether I'm coming or going here. Is there some mystical meaning for nine? I mean, we got the cat o'nine tails... Why nine, I ask you? And how 'bout the Beatles and "Number nine, number nine, number nine"! What was that all about?

And then, since I'm on the subject of how weird numbers are, why do people say, "I'm all sixes and sevens here"?

I don't get it.

Don't even know who I bloody am anymore,
OrB~ (I think...I think I got it right this time!)

And, come to think of it, bloody Clementine's shoes--those herring boxes--were number nine! What's this with nine anyway????

#57280 02/16/02 11:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, mighty nightly warrior, what a great thought! (has anyone else been keeping track of Jupitor? now days, it can be seen nightly, in north, very close to Orion)

Yes, certain numbers have "magical" qualities.. 7-- it is thought that the seven planets known to the ancient started seven off as a lucky number, but i have never (and i don't remember reading anything here) explored why we use that set of characters (well, we did a bit on Octo (Hi, ya Love(land) Child Jazzo!) and i know octo (eight) goes back to latin and further to greek.. but now i am going to start exploring and see if any numbers have any magicical connotations in their roots.. (crossing threads.. an other theme? Words you can count on?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
since I'm on the subject of how weird numbers are

Looks like you're behind the eight ball on this one, OrB~!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 718 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith