Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
When I was a teenager everything spelled SEX.

Now it's just most things

TEd
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
most things spell SEX.

Everything's either concave or convex,
So whatever you see will be *something with sex.

#57123 04/01/02 02:43 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
If there are no pedestrians, or if they're on the opposite side of the crossing, motorists should proceed (with caution).

I believe the rule is similar in Ontario - drivers must stop when pedestrians are on the same half of the road, but drivers can proceed with care if pedestrians are still/already on the other lane

#57124 04/01/02 06:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
wow, so we new yorker's have been doing it right all along!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I looked at "10 things you should know about driving in the UK" today. It says, sensibly, that if a pedestrian crossing is not controlled by traffic lights, that pedestrians have the right of way. I am, however, a bit concerned about the 'usually' in the following: There will be a signpost on the left hand side of the road before a roundabout showing you which way to go. The main route will again (usually) be signposted on the actual roundabout. Also--what is a carriageway and what is a motorway, please? Apparently, carriageways can be "duel" (sic).

J
old hand
old hand
J
pedestrians have the right of way

hah, not in London they don't. Drivers, especially the cabs and buses, are ferocious there. Their philosophy is more like "I'll go ahead and hit him. It'll teach him a lesson." My friend who's been studying at the Notre Dame branch campus in London since January said that one of the guys in his program has already been injured by a car hitting him. While I was there someone got killed by a bus. But I guess it's probably this way for any huge city.

And speaking of traffic, have there been any infrastructural studies done that conclude whether traffic circles or 4 way stops are better? I'm well aware of the occasional annoyance of 4 way stops, but it seems like roundabouts are such an indirect path.

#57127 04/02/02 02:57 AM
H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
In NSW the rule is (was? Hev?) that as soon as a pedestrian sets foot on the crossing all traffic has to stop.

Geez, stales, make me go LIU why dontcha? That IS my understanding too, however I did go LIU and the book is *so* vague as to be adaptable to any given situation. (Must add in that I only scanned it for info on pedestrians - it's a 149 page document.) This I *love:

"Pedestrians have some rights to share the road. You must always give way to pedestrians if there is any chance of colliding with them." Page 125 from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/ruhjun01.pdf

Uh, where's ron?

Hev

H
hev Offline
addict
addict
H
Also--what is a carriageway and what is a motorway, please? Apparently, carriageways can be "duel" (sic).

Ha ha! The duels are not likely to be on a dual carriageway...

carriageway n : (Brit) one of the two sides of a motorway where traffic travels in one direction only usually in two or three lanes

and

motorway n : a broad highway designed for high-speed traffic [syn: expressway, freeway, pike, state highway, superhighway, throughway, thruway]

both from www.dictionary.com

HTH

Hev

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
HTH
It did. Merci. "Carriageway"--what an utterly quaint name!
Invokes a picture which I am sure is at complete odds with present-day reality, esp. given JazzO.'s frightening statements.

J
old hand
old hand
J
Invokes a picture which I am sure is at complete odds with present-day reality, esp. given JazzO.'s frightening statements.

I think a carriageway is reserved for what would, in the US, be called a highway. The motorway that I travelled on from Gatwick Airport (about 45 minutes south of London) to London itself seemed nowhere near as developed as freeways in the US. Major freeways here require the clearing of about a 50m wide area so there's room for at least 2 lanes on each side and a media large enough for future expansion. The one in England that I experienced twisted right through towns and had normal connections to smaller roads that condensed 2 lanes of traffic into a roundabout. It was nothing so complex as, but seem rather inefficient compared to the huge "4-leaf clover" on-ramp/off-ramp contructions in the US. But I don't have any experience with any other Brit motorways like the ones CK described.

The careless driving I was referring to was strictly in downtown London where virtually the only vehicles are cabs and buses. I love the Tube When I went to Bath and Winchester, the drivers were much more civil.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 802 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith